Buses, trains, and boats in Alaska independent land tour

lawahoo2001

Hello, Board! Just booked a southbound cruise on the Island Princess for 7/13/09 departure out of Whittier. Also just booked award travel through Delta to arrive in Anchorage the night of 7/4. Didn't want to book a cruisetour, as we're a couple in our early 30's, who like relaxed, independent travel.

I don't want to rent a car because the distances appear to be quite large in Alaska, and I didn't want to tire myself every day by driving a lot. Liked the idea of riding the train to Denali and also using shuttle buses (such as the Park Connection - what other bus lines are out there?). My husband and I have traveled a lot through Europe, so we're used to trains and buses. Below is our proposed itinerary. Goal is to see as much wildlife and glaciers as possible. Also wanted to make sure that we saw both Kenai Fjords and Prince William Sound (PWS), as I have read that Kenai may not always have the best weather and the seas tend to be rougher (which could cause a boat tour to be canceled). Even though our cruise will be going to College Fjord in PWS, we wanted to try the small boat experience, too, as this will optimize our chances of getting close to wildlife. PWS is supposed to be much calmer waters that Kenai area.

Without much further ado, here is our itinerary. Any suggestions, esp. w/regards to transport between cities and tours, is much appreciated!

7/4 -Sat - Day 1 - Fly to Anchorage (Delta from Richmond, VA to Atlanta; then direct flight to Anchorage with arrival around 7pm local time); maybe see some fireworks in ANCH, if we don't fall asleep first!

7/5 - Sun - Day 2 - Husband's 35th birthday! Relax and get acclimated to the time change in ANCH. Check out the city, maybe visit Chugach (sp?) park, walk along waterfront trails. Would love a recommendation for a nice dinner spot in the city for hubby's b-day.

7/6 - Mon - Day 3 - Take tour to Prince William Sound from ANCH - see link for tour company (PWS Glacier Cruises) that says it will pick up from ANCH: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/577.cfm?SiteID=1 - Has anyone used this our company and/or done the cruise shown on the website?

7/7 - Tues - Day 4 - Take train to Denali - ride in the upgraded/domed area

7/8 - Wed - Day 5 - Go on Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali - is is best to book through hotel or directly with the parks service?

7/9 - Thurs - Day 6 - Take Park Connections bus to Talkeetna (it arrives in Talkeetna by 11am, I believe) - would like to stay one night here to maximize chance of seeing Mt. McKinley and to have an extra night to relax/do nothing/see the town/maybe take a jet boat tour; also, this will cut down on amount of travel time by bus to Seward the next day [NOTE: We're a little scared of the flightseeing tours, as we had a bad, near life-ending experience on a small plane in the past, so that's not something we want to do in Talkeetna.]

7/10 - Fri - Day 7 - Take Park Connections bus to Seward

7/11 - Sat - Day 8 - [Depending on the weather, this day's itinerary can be switched with Day 9.] Take Kenai Fjords boat tour.

7/12 - Sun - Day 9 - Relax a little in Seward. See the Alaska Sea Life Center. Figure out a way to go to Exit Glacier - any way to get there w/o a car?

7/13 - Mon - Day 10 - Take Park Connections bus to Alaska - check in with Princess at Egan Center and transfer to the boat in Whittier!

You may enjoy the market since you'll be in Anchorage on a weekend.

http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/main.html

You really don't need two visits to Whittier. Take your PWS excursion the date you board ship and use the Monday you had set aside for only PWS elsewhere. Alaska Railroad offers a great option for transfer to Whittier from Anchorage on day of embarkation, no thought to luggage from the time you drop it at the depot until it's placed outside your cabin door onboard.

If you were independent with a vehicle there would be many more options to consider as Alaska is very easy to drive. Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Matanuska Glacier....

You might want to look at Alaska Railroad for your Seward transfers as well. I'd find it preferrable to bus.

There are cabs/shuttles to Exit Glacier while in Seward.

Hi and welcome to CC. Your plan sounds pretty good. Here are some suggestions to consider:

> Train v. Car. I can totally understand not wanting to drive in order to enjoy the scenery. I think the train is a great way to travel. Just know there are some tradeoffs. Cost can be one. I would add up the price of the train + bus v. a rental car and just see what the difference is. For example, the ride on the AKRR domecar from ANC to Denali is $202/pp. The price for 2 people would likely come close to the cost of the car for a week. Granted gas is pricey, but the math is worth doing. The car also gives you much more flexibility and helps you maximize your time. The train is great but moves slowly and on a fixed schedule. The car will allow you to move around more quickly and at will.

> 7/5. You could probably squeeze little more into this day if you wanted. I'm not an expert on the ANC area. Others can offer suggestions.

> 7/6. I would not do the PWS tour at this point. It will take you out of your way. Instead, I'd look into doing this the day you board your cruise ship. One trip to Whittier is plenty. :)

> 7/7. You could squeeze in an activity or 2 once you arrive in Denali if you wanted and take advantage of the long days. Go rafting, hike Mt Healy, check out the sled dogs, etc. Also, where are you staying? You'll have a lot more options with a car. If no car, make sure your hotel will shuttle you to the park.

> 7/8. I would ditch the TWT for a shuttle bus ride, which is much less expensive and generally longer, which means more opportunity to see the mountain and wildlife.

> 7/9. you can also get to Talkeetna by train if you want. Stopping here will cut down on travel time to Seward, but not by much. If you're not flightseeing, I would not waste a day here, and I would not plan around seeing the mountain. The odds are not with you. But that's a personal decision and depends on how important Denali is to you.

> 7/10. This day appears under-utilized, but I'm not sure how long the ride from Talkeetna to Seward takes. Again, your lodging will be important with no car.

> 7/11. I'd do the 8 hour NW Fjords tour rather than the 6 hour KF tour.

> 7/12. There's a shuttle service to Exit. It's in one the old blue train cars across from the train depot. I forget the name of the outfitter. Someone will know.

Bottom line, I would rent a car and spend less time in ANC and Talkeetna and try to squeeze in Homer. Ten days is plenty of time for 3 stops IMO. It's be busy with little downtime, but you can rest when your vacation is over. :D

But it's your vacation; it just depends on what you want. Have a great time.

I agree, your routing could be better. From Seward, I suggest you consider a direct taxi/shuttle to Whittier. With an early start you can make the excellent Prince William sound boat tours. Then board your ship.

As for Denali park, it will be a long day, and IF you really want to see the most wildlife, then ditch the 3 times costly TWT and get the Eielson shuttle bus. Either one of these requires advance bookings, usually no walk up space. Taking the train will limit you to lodging, be certain to verify what shuttle options to Denali Park they have.

A shuttle service is available to Exit Glacier, or just take a taxi.

I think you have the wrong idea about driving a car in Alaska, it is NO way comparable to Europe with driving or the trains. Driving in Alaska is simple on mostly 2 lane roads, with the biggest bonus the freedom and ability to see all the countless stuff along the way. Especially, if you want to see the most.

In Talkeetna, 1 extra day is hardly worth it. You are not likely to see McKinley, in July probably less than average of 20%. I've been there where 6-7 days went by before a view. I think you are spending time you would be better off somewhere else if you have any other interests, like another nights in Denali Park?

In Anchorage, a great restaurant is the Glacier Brewhouse, also Simon's and Seaforts, for a special night out.

I agree with GMoney and Budget Queen. I'd seriously consider a car for this itinerary. Driving is very easy. Talkeetna is small and although others like it, I was not impressed at all. I would spend an extra night in Denali instead- you can see the mountain from IN the park, too, and it gives you an opportunity to do more. Take the shuttle bus instead of the TWT. You can easily spend 2 days in Seward. And go from Seward right to Whittier to meet the ship - you are going past Whittier by going to Anchorage first - a waste of time.

I would also advise renting a car - it will save you plenty in the long run, as you can take advantage of cheaper lodging or coupon specials, eat in the smaller, out of the way restaurants with lower prices, see a LOT more wildlife (you can drive out to Savage River in Denali in the early morning or late evening - we often see bears, wolves, fox, etc. before or after the buses are running). Driving is easy - there is very little traffic once you're outside Anchorage/Mat-Su area. The train experience between Anchorage and Denali is highly overrated - pretty much trees, trees, and more trees.

I haven't been in Anchorage for 4th of July, but I'm reasonably sure there are no fireworks displays as it isn't dark enough. Fairbanks also has no display, and the display in Juneau is very late in the evening - around 11pm or midnight.

We do have 4th of July fireworks, usually about 11:30 p.m. but sometimes according to when the 4th lands it may be the day before!

Good spots for a nice celebratory dinner would be Simon & Seafort's, Orso's, Sack's, really want to splurg the Crow's Nest at the Captain Cook.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived