Ronys Independent Tours

hagges

loveJake,

Are you also doing the "Free style" with Rony's? :)

Yes, we also went with him last September with a couple we meet on the rool call board. This time we will have our grandchildren with. He called me after I booked on line, a very nice guy, very funny. If you go ask him about the time he babysat his friends iguana.

WOW. What great people I have found on CC. You guys are awsome on answeing any questions.

Also, thanks for the great advice on Rony's. He has been wonderful contacting me as well regarding our trip. I havent talked to him on the phone yet but we have been communicating via emails quite often. I am so looking forward to this trip.

P.S. Will make sure and ask about the iguana. Has to be a great story there.

Thanks again,

Julie :)

We just got back on Sunday from our cruise on the Legend and we used Rony for our tour. It was 7 adults and 3 kids (6, 5, 2).

We did the freestyle tour, saw the sites, the Monkey Stop, went to the Mayan Princess for the beach and took in some shopping.

I have to say that when it comes to new places, it really does not bother me and I just go out and walk around (as I did in Belize), but my mother is extremely nervous about new places. Within the first five minutes, our tour guide made my mother and mother in law so comfortable that they said at the end that they felt as comfortable there as they did at home.

Our tour guide spoke excellent english, although the driver was very limited, so I would speak to him in Spanish. This is a very poor country, and this stop was by far the best for us on the cruise. There is nothing touristy about it, real people living the island life. DO NOT expect to see high rises, pretty shops, well paved streets or a carbon copy of the Caymans, because if you do you will be disappointed. This island has character and it is nice to see life away from the toursit centers and experience it before it becomes tainted. My sister plans to return for a week and stay there she loved it so much. The people were so nice and gracious because tourism is king on this island.

Now on to the tour. When you get off the boat, you go to the left and follow the waters edge to the gate. At the gate there were about 8 people selling tours, but go through them to the sidewalk. There is a small street and standing against the wall on the other side is a large oval sign that reads "Rony's Independent Tours". I walked across, mentioned that I had a tour and then was pointed to Rony. Rony (also speaks perfect english) pointed out our guide, stayed with us, as the guide went to get the driver and we boarded the mini van.

The guide told us all about the island, himself and the culture. Be sure to ask about life on the island. Just a tid bit, our guide had 21 children that he knew of! My wife could not belive that when he was growing up, they would sleep 5 - 6 in a bed. Makes you appreciate what you have.

The Mayan Princess is beautiful. Has to be one of the best beaches we have ever been on and we have been on some real nice ones. The guide was always one step behind us. Always watching us, guiding us where to go, making sure all ok, telling us that we were in control of the tour and what we wanted, he would do.

At the end of the tour, we met Rony again, I paid him the cost of the tour and tipped the driver and guide. Tipping is at your descretion. If you ask them what people give, the guide told me "you give what you want, people on this island are happy as long as you are happy". So when it comes to tipping, your on your own.

I am so glad that I went with the recommendations on this board to go with Rony's company, and give and new guy a chance. The guide was great, the island is beautiful and the people incredible.

Do not hesitate to use them, you will not be sorry! The two year old really had no opinion, but the 5 and the 6 year old loved the monkeys and the beach. Any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked with Rony week after next. We know we want to go to the iIuana Farm and a tour of the island but can't make a decision on which beach to go to for snorkelling. When we were in Roatan last year we went with Victor and he took us the the West End (I think) but would like to see a different beach. Any suggestions.

jrodrig692, you mentioned Mayan Princess. Do you need to pay to go there? Also is it good for snorkelling.

Thanks for any info.

We are booked with Rony week after next. We know we want to go to the iIuana Farm and a tour of the island but can't make a decision on which beach to go to for snorkelling. When we were in Roatan last year we went with Victor and he took us the the West End (I think) but would like to see a different beach. Any suggestions.

jrodrig692, you mentioned Mayan Princess. Do you need to pay to go there? Also is it good for snorkelling.

Thanks for any info.

Email Rony and ask him. There are some nice beaches further up the western shore. Access can be limited. Rony would know. You will pay at the Mayan Princess and at old Bananarama (think its the Turtle something now) next door. These fees aren't usually included in tours, but may be, Again ask Rony.

On the side, it's nice to see some good quality competition in touring guides here. With 2 ports to cover after November, and with bigger boats coming (Carnival Dream every other week) good qualtiy touring outfits will be in demand.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked with Rony today for March. He has been so gracious with his emails and information. He also emailed me to say in November there would be a new dock and if any information changed as how to find him he would notify me. So looking forward to this tour.

Suzy - Thanks so much for posting a link back in July with your videos and photos in Roatan...It was a treat and I'm even more hyped than before to visit :D

Have a wonderful day - Shelly

Happy to help- glad it excited you. Can you tell the monkeys were fun?

We snuck peanuts along we brought from home. You'll love Rony (pronounced Ronnie) - my son corrected me after we started car tour.

Happy to post photos. Please say hi for me and that I referenced you- tell em Suzy and birthday boy Mike from June.

Thanks--enjoy.

I recently booked with Rony for the Tabytana Beach but my friend is concerned about the safey issue with an independent tour. He thinks I should cancel and just go with the ship for safety reason. From what I am reading it sounds safe with ROny. What would you do?

Yes, we also went with him last September with a couple we meet on the rool call board. This time we will have our grandchildren with. He called me after I booked on line, a very nice guy, very funny. If you go ask him about the time he babysat his friends iguana.

Well, only ask him about babysitting the house and "Speedy the iguana"

if kids aren't listening :eek:

I recently booked with Rony for the Tabytana Beach but my friend is concerned about the safey issue with an independent tour. He thinks I should cancel and just go with the ship for safety reason. From what I am reading it sounds safe with ROny. What would you do?

Just returned from going with Rony. Do yourself a favor and go with him. Very enjoyable and reliable. Will give you whatever you want. Nice clean vehicles. It is cheaper to hire him for the whole day and go everywhere you want than to use the ship tour just to get to the beach.

Just returned from going with Rony. Do yourself a favor and go with him. Very enjoyable and reliable. Will give you whatever you want. Nice clean vehicles. It is cheaper to hire him for the whole day and go everywhere you want than to use the ship tour just to get to the beach.

I agree 100%!!:) We had a tour with Rony last month and the drivers are wonderful and very informative. We learned so much about Roatan and even went to the elementary school. Go with Rony and you will not be sorry!!

We just got back on Sunday from our cruise on the Legend and we used Rony for our tour. It was 7 adults and 3 kids (6, 5, 2).

We did the freestyle tour, saw the sites, the Monkey Stop, went to the Mayan Princess for the beach and took in some shopping.

I have to say that when it comes to new places, it really does not bother me and I just go out and walk around (as I did in Belize), but my mother is extremely nervous about new places. Within the first five minutes, our tour guide made my mother and mother in law so comfortable that they said at the end that they felt as comfortable there as they did at home.

Our tour guide spoke excellent english, although the driver was very limited, so I would speak to him in Spanish. This is a very poor country, and this stop was by far the best for us on the cruise. There is nothing touristy about it, real people living the island life. DO NOT expect to see high rises, pretty shops, well paved streets or a carbon copy of the Caymans, because if you do you will be disappointed. This island has character and it is nice to see life away from the toursit centers and experience it before it becomes tainted. My sister plans to return for a week and stay there she loved it so much. The people were so nice and gracious because tourism is king on this island.

Now on to the tour. When you get off the boat, you go to the left and follow the waters edge to the gate. At the gate there were about 8 people selling tours, but go through them to the sidewalk. There is a small street and standing against the wall on the other side is a large oval sign that reads "Rony's Independent Tours". I walked across, mentioned that I had a tour and then was pointed to Rony. Rony (also speaks perfect english) pointed out our guide, stayed with us, as the guide went to get the driver and we boarded the mini van.

The guide told us all about the island, himself and the culture. Be sure to ask about life on the island. Just a tid bit, our guide had 21 children that he knew of! My wife could not belive that when he was growing up, they would sleep 5 - 6 in a bed. Makes you appreciate what you have.

The Mayan Princess is beautiful. Has to be one of the best beaches we have ever been on and we have been on some real nice ones. The guide was always one step behind us. Always watching us, guiding us where to go, making sure all ok, telling us that we were in control of the tour and what we wanted, he would do.

At the end of the tour, we met Rony again, I paid him the cost of the tour and tipped the driver and guide. Tipping is at your descretion. If you ask them what people give, the guide told me "you give what you want, people on this island are happy as long as you are happy". So when it comes to tipping, your on your own.

I am so glad that I went with the recommendations on this board to go with Rony's company, and give and new guy a chance. The guide was great, the island is beautiful and the people incredible.

Do not hesitate to use them, you will not be sorry! The two year old really had no opinion, but the 5 and the 6 year old loved the monkeys and the beach. Any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

I emailed Rony a couple of weeks ago. We are going in Jan. He emailed right back and called me the next day. We are so glad we learned about his tours on CC. We are having trouble deciding what beach to go to. We were told Tabyana beach was wonderful. We plan on going to the monkey place and thought about the gardens. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stacy

We sailed with Rony June Cruise on Legend. I posted a review-just check under my screen name for postings.

My conclusion was I have a friend for life in Roatan in Rony, and hope that statement makes a difference if you choose Rony and his tours. After doing a general tour all around countryside, and Victor Boden's monkey stop, next time would incorporate a beach I would choose Mayan Princess too based on CC reviews. I noted shopping with Rony the local shops were just a smidge higher in prices but more than happy to support his friends and co-business contacts. Only other shopping that is similar though is outside gates of ship and very competitive vendors for your attention, and glad to have Rony control and wave them off if we so chose, I guess shopping at his stops and paying $1-2 more is worth airconditioning and shop at leisure pace.

Shopping: One placed we shopped was a two story building with very nice friendly ladies (this shop is in view of Ronys friend George's house were he babysat Speedy.) (and yes, I do believe the story based on how passionate Rony was about Iguana stew meal being a local favorite, and an animal they regularly hunt for -poor choice by him ~ yes, but I understand the culture now.) One other shop he stopped at was on a busy street and parked right in front, it is a small shop that has goods as you entere on left, and in back right a staircase going upstairs displaying art. I found my favorite earrings there-inlaid purple type shell in a flower shape with silver backing. Nowhere else did I find purple earrings and get so many compliments.

Having toured the sights now, I would take time to go to Mayan and monkeys again.

Here is my link to my Legend photos-Rony's tour starts on page 3-page 8.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573221609ahitHh?vhost=travel&start=84

Suzy (p.s.-ship faced starboard)

Buffetfan--great pictures! I started with the Roatan shots, then had to stay for the food, lol. I think you sold me on the monkey stop--my kids would love it.

I emailed Rony late yesterday afternoon, and he's already emailed me back twice. Based on everything I've read about him, I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks for the tip, everyone!

Buffetfan--great pictures! I started with the Roatan shots, then had to stay for the food, lol. I think you sold me on the monkey stop--my kids would love it.

I emailed Rony late yesterday afternoon, and he's already emailed me back twice. Based on everything I've read about him, I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks for the tip, everyone!

Kids will love it I am sure. I noted the monkeys were intrigued with shirts that had pockets on front, button down shirts etc. That is why we hid a peanut in shell under DS plain shirt to intrique monkey to stay for photo. The monkeys were also able to hop on a girls backpack and unzip it while she was wearing it! Oh, and they do like taking hats I heard.

One girl did get pee on her arm though-and watch what is above you :eek:

We also got to feed the deer banana-it was really quiet as it was pregnant. It liked licking salt from peanut shell I had held. Our guide let us stay in each area as long as we wanted to. They sell bottled soda/gatorade in a small shack, by then it was a welcome refreshment.

p.s.bring hand sanitizer with you.

p.s.s there is a small admission for Victors monkey area $3 I think. Covers animal care/food etc.

Kids will love it I am sure. I noted the monkeys were intrigued with shirts that had pockets on front, button down shirts etc. That is why we hid a peanut in shell under DS plain shirt to intrique monkey to stay for photo. The monkeys were also able to hop on a girls backpack and unzip it while she was wearing it! Oh, and they do like taking hats I heard.

One girl did get pee on her arm though-and watch what is above you :eek:

We also got to feed the deer banana-it was really quiet as it was pregnant. It liked licking salt from peanut shell I had held. Our guide let us stay in each area as long as we wanted to. They sell bottled soda/gatorade in a small shack, by then it was a welcome refreshment.

p.s.bring hand sanitizer with you.

p.s.s there is a small admission for Victors monkey area $3 I think. Covers animal care/food etc.

Thanks for the tips and stories! Our zoo has an aviary where you can feed the lorikeets, so we're accustomed to being "christened" by them occasionally, lol. I might have forgotten the hand sanitizer, since we usually just wash hands, but obviously that's not possible everywhere. Dh is a little concerned about the monkeys being aggressive, but they look pretty mellow to me. Thanks again!

the monkeys were pretty mellow, just very spunky,bouncing around and hard to snap photos unless you were ready. We never made them stay or pose though. They have one monkey that is separate with another female- I guess it is the "timeout cage" LOL he lives in it, as known as a biter. I suspect a male being protective.

Just watch the door- one little guy did get out- but they didn't to be too worried that he'd come back for his love of apple slices.

p.s I have read on previous posts of same concern about monkey safety- all animals are documented by vets, shots etc. for piece of mind in case they do nip.

• 2 weeks later...

It is fun to read this thread and remember our Legend cruise last Feb. We used Rony as our guide too. He was GREAT!! I really enjoyed the island tour. We went to the area where he lives, saw the ship wrecks, the cameo factory, shopping, the monkeys, and the Mayan Princess. There were 4 of us and I think it was $25.00 each. Loved listening to Rony talk about his home. He is a very polite, fun and trustworthy person. Had a great day. I really enjoyed all the things we did that day and if I go again I'll contact Rony. Next time I'd see the monkey's again and then spend the rest of the day at the Mayan Princess. We didn't have time to snorkel and I've read that the snorkeling is great there. Loved the beach. Highly recommend Rony.

We just returned from our cruise and we used Rony in Roatan. We did freestyle with just my husband and I. Our guide was Rony's cousin Michale and he was great. We never felt unsafe and saw a good part of the island. We would book Rony again.

Archived