How many cabins for a group on Princess?

Thanks -- we've got the bodies -- 16 -- but 8 are children and will be three in each of two cabins and two in one cabin.

I just rec'd the same response to a posting on the HAL board.

I'd thought that if one of the two lines offered a better deal for a small group we'd choose that line for a trip to Alaska.

Again thank you for such a prompt response.

Sandytoes, your info means we haven't a hope of forming a group.

This is to be a 45th anniversary celebration and we're treating our kids and wondergrandkids to an Alaskan cruise -- and since that will stretch our budget there's no way we could get to 16 cabins!

Thanks one and all.

This is to be a 45th anniversary celebration and we're treating our kids and wondergrandkids to an Alaskan cruise -- and since that will stretch our budget there's no way we could get to 16 cabins!

Thanks one and all.

:o Sorry about that.

Didn't mean to burst your bubble.

How about treating me, I only need one cabin...;)..:D

Coral, that's an interesting possibility.

We're planning the trip for late spring '10 and I gather these sailings aren't posted until next spring so time is on our side.

Once we have a good feeling for costs and dates we'll contact our travel agent and see if she has planned groups within our time frame.

I've more or less concluded that fussing about a group isn't worth the worry.

We'll concentrate on the blessing of children and grandchildren who will be content with window steerage or even inside cabins.

How do solo cabins figure into the group accounting mix for purposes of getting the group discount?

The solo cabin on Princess was not counted in the total cabins booked. Although the person got the amenities when they booked. So if a single person wants to book as a single-- they get the amenities and all theperks that come with the group.

-

Carnival the solo cabin was counted. I am guessing that it depends on what week and what ship.

Thanks one and all.

Exactly what we did in August 2008 on the Star Princess..........I'm lucky that we did our 'Family cruise' before Princess changed from 8 to 16 cabins for a 'Group' & fortunate that we did this before the economy 'meltdown'.

I did speak w/Princess' Group department and they would have booked us as a 'Group' directly - but I opted to book my 'group' within my TA's 'Group' - so I was able to get both the TA's discounted group price plus (1) free berth for our 16 family members.

Some thoughts for you..............if you have family members that haven't cruised before - remember to 'refer' them in your Capt. Circle account before you book them - also (if you have) use 'Share the Wealth' certificates (from FCC's) for OBC for them: send in the certificates the same time you do the booking (I was able to get all 14 PAX OBC, Princess was kind enough to 'bend the rules' as I had a 'pile' of Share the Wealth certificates. We booked over a year in advance, I chose the (5) mini-suites next to eachother - we opened the dividers on the Balconies and it was wonderful! We put our 'wondergrandchildren' (love your word) in (3) inside cabins, next to eachother, a deck (Caribe) away from the 'adults' and next to the elevator, for easy access.

I wish you good luck and a wonderful Family Cruise! :)

Here's our 'Gang'..........

1037523178_4.T-ShirtsFamilyGroup.jpg.38b5cebdae7a1a4737bf8a08b43c81e8.jpg

Renee, If I am not mistaken here, Princess has done away with the 'share the wealth' certificates we used to get. :(

Hey Toto - Always read your posts.........regards :) .......about the "Share the Wealth" - I got them for purchase of FCC's in August - they do not have the same amenities (ie. no more reduced deposit) but they still DO state they give OBC. I think if they have been 'discontinued' ? anyone holding old certificates can 'make enough noise' :eek: so that they would be honored!!

PS - I still have 6 in my files :rolleyes:

Hey Toto - Always read your posts.........regards :) .......about the "Share the Wealth" - I got them for purchase of FCC's in August - they do not have the same amenities (ie. no more reduced deposit) but they still DO state they give OBC. I think if they have been 'discontinued' ? anyone holding old certificates can 'make enough noise' :eek: so that they would be honored!!

Renee, Just remember, they are only good for two years after issue/date you received them with your FCC (it states it in the fine print), but alas, no more of them to be had it sounds like. Such a shame, they were great to give to friends even if they didn't get the reduced deposit the last couple of times we used them. :(

Renee, Just remember, they are only good for two years after issue/date you received them with your FCC (it states it in the fine print), but alas, no more of them to be had it sounds like. Such a shame, they were great to give to friends even if they didn't get the reduced deposit the last couple of times we used them. :(

You are correct, of course, - but I have had good experience w/Princess - and they DO 'bend the rules' on occasion - never hurts to ask - FYI - my 'older' ones have NO 'issue date on them!! :rolleyes:

When were they discontinued? Do I understand that they do not give them out when you purchase FCC onboard now??

How sad.....So many little 'perks' going away.........did you hear that RCL will stop putting chocolates on the pillow? Will Princess be next?

You are correct, of course, - but I have had good experience w/Princess - and they DO 'bend the rules' on occasion - never hurts to ask - FYI - my 'older' ones have NO 'issue date on them!! :rolleyes:

I will keep that in mind Renee. ;) Mine also don't have an issue date on them, they are blank, so figure I can always fill in the sailing as the last one I took while they were still issueing them. :) :)

My understanding is that it has just been recently that Princess no longer gives them out with an FCC booking. There have been many reports here on the board that others have asked and been told, discontinued. :(

Princess recently changed Group Cruises to 16 Cabins.

They also will not handle them.

You need to arrange Group bookings with a TA.

I just made a group booking for an 09 Ruby sailing myself without a TA - and was told 8 double occupancy cabins for 1 free berth.

While on my 8\6 cruise the Future Cruise Consultant told me that Princess stopped the Share the Wealth program.

While on my 8\6 cruise the Future Cruise Consultant told me that Princess stopped the Share the Wealth program.

As previously posted - I purchased FCC's and got Share the Wealth Certificates included while on my August 3 cruise! :rolleyes:

Groups are not always 8 cabins/16 passengers booked. You need to talk with your TA and find out if there are GAP points on your sailing. If so, the TA can use some of the GAP points to "buy down" the free berth rate to 1 for 12. It all depends on the popularity of your sailing and whether Princess is offering the "buy downs" or not.

Good luck with it. Just remember that the free berth is ONLY the cruise fare -that person still has to pay port charges, fuel surcharges and port fees, which alone, can add up to quite a bit.

Archived