NCL Private Island ?

shoopa3

Does anyone have any pictures or info regarding NCL's Private Island?
What kind of info do need?

Large beach with loung chairs and large rafts that allow 6 people, you can rent snorkel gear, bars open lots of food, beach vollyball and do some games. very relaxing. if you need anything else just ask

When you come off the tender, turn right and go over the bridge to the other beach....less people and a lot more enjoyable, not to mention that you can really get some surreal photos....my daughter actually said one of mine looks like the background was painted!:D

Is there a bar/drinks in that area?

If other cruisers have had the luck that we have, it's going to be difficult to get too many photos. We went on Dawn back in Nov. of 2007 and never made it to the island, and we just went on Sky a week ago and didn't make it to the island then either. :( I feel that if cruise lines are going to have their private islands as part of their itinerary, then maybe they should consider building a dock, because half the time, the tender boats can't get up next to the ship.

When you get of the tender if you take a left you will find a trail that will take you to the other side of the island. There are some WWII buildings a lighthouse and a little dock. We had the whole place to ourselves it was wonderful. There are lots of little lizards and hermit crabs clammering about. After we got back from our walk we rented a large raft and floated for a few hours. We enjoyed the bbq, some drinks and had a real nice time. Looking forward to being back there in December :D .

The only thing in that area is a float rental (they may have had other things, but what I saw were floats) some chairs, a few hammocks in some secluded areas, but no bar...HOWEVER, on the Sky cruise 10/3, there were people taking drink orders and hauling them over on a golf cart. To me though, it would be much easier to make the very short walk over and buy the 6 beer special and bring it back. They give you a bucket with ice, so it's all good!:cool:

Another hint I got from this group, get a raft and take it with you...one of those cheapy ones will do. I am going to buy my own vest to go with my snorkle gear for our next trip. I would rather save my $5 and buy a drink!:p My only complaint with the GSC stop, I would like something other than alcohol or water served with my lunch.....other than that, we had a wonderful day!

Okay. So let me see if I have this correct.

NCL's private island:

1) You need to tender out (if possible)

2) Rafts cost around $5

3) They provide a BBQ lunch served with only water & beer

Doesn't sound like much. Is there away to bring soda onto the island?

Thank you

Rafts are more...I think they are 12$, but I am not sure about that. I brought my own and it was only $2. The air vests are $5 if you are going to go snorkeling. They also have mixed drinks and you can buy soda.

NCL's private island:

2) Rafts cost around $5

Thank you

We were just there last week on the Pearl, tendered with no problems, the water actually looked like glass. The island was not nearly as nice as Princess or RCCL (imho). The beach area to the left when getting off the tender, seemed like a cattle herd with people and chairs piled on top of each other. All of the hammoks had been "reserved" with no one at them for hours. We did find a nice place at the end of the trail that goes to the lighthouse. There were a few crew members there but nice place to swim & snorkel. The water was beautiful, we swam at the main beach for 30 minutes, walked over to one of the bars, yes there are bars, and then went back to the ship to lay by the pool (this was the only time the whole cruise we were able to get a poolside chair during mid-day). The beach to the right did look a lot less crowded and there was a small beach way out if you hiked to it that only had 5 people at it. We did not eat lunch on the island so I can't really say how that was.

NCL's private island:

2) Rafts cost around $5

Thank you

I think they have iced tea as well and yes, you can bring soda on if you want. You can get mixed drinks like others have suggested. Is it much? not really but if you tender early and get a decent place to relax it is a fun way to spend a few hours. They offer the same as all cruiselines private island, but I would agree, the island itself isn't as nice as some. It isn't meant to be the highlight of your cruise. Also there will be kids and adults playing volley ball, paths to walk on, and the BBQ we thought was really good. If you don't care about any of the above stay on the ship and enjoy a quiet day around the pool...

Nita

They didn't have iced tea on ours Nita....I was sort of surprised by it I have to say. The best thing to do is make your way to the right and go early. We totally look forward to going to GSC ourselves, but it's also because we like the plan of doing nothing. The island can get a little crowded, but it was pretty peaceful up until 1 PM for us...which is the time that we made our way back to the ship for the day.

I still love the island myself, even though I wish it was a little bigger...it's worth getting off, even WITH the other cattle! :p

I think they have iced tea as well and yes, you can bring soda on if you want. You can get mixed drinks like others have suggested. Is it much? not really but if you tender early and get a decent place to relax it is a fun way to spend a few hours. They offer the same as all cruiselines private island, but I would agree, the island itself isn't as nice as some. It isn't meant to be the highlight of your cruise. Also there will be kids and adults playing volley ball, paths to walk on, and the BBQ we thought was really good. If you don't care about any of the above stay on the ship and enjoy a quiet day around the pool...

Nita

They didn't have iced tea on ours Nita....I was sort of surprised by it I have to say. The best thing to do is make your way to the right and go early. We totally look forward to going to GSC ourselves, but it's also because we like the fact that we like the plan of doing nothing. The island can get a little crowded, but it was pretty peaceful up until 1 PM for us...which is the time that we made our way back to the ship for the day.

I still love the island myself, even though I wish it was a little bigger...it's worth getting off, even WITH the other cattle! :p

they used to offer it, that was over a year ago, thanks for the info. Yes, go early is the secret and yes, we like to go over just to spend a few hours of relaxation. The time we have enjoyed it the most: when it is the last day of the cruise. What a way to end a wonderful vacation...

NIta

On Saturday when we were there they had bartenders walking around to get you drinks.

There were about 3 or 4 different bars set up all around and a buffet with hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, cole slaw, chili, chicken.

It is a very relaxing day.

NCL's private island:

2) Rafts cost around $5

Thank you

Yes you tender out to the island.

The small rafts are 2 for $18 and the big raft is $25.

You can get soda as long as you have the card from the ship. Or you can charge the soda on your room key.

If you want juice or tea I suggest you get a water bottle and fill it up on the boat before you go.

I was making lemon water in my water bottle and it lasted almost all day.

They also have a few small shops on the island, or they did when we were there.

Does anyone know how far the hike to the WWII buildings and light house? If I went back that would be interesting but I can't walk really long ways and it seems like that was stopped me the last time; I thought it was a mile or more?:confused:

I thought I heard someone say it was 2 miles while we were on GSC. Funny, when you are on the ship, it doesn't look quite that far.

They also have a few small shops on the island, or they did when we were there.

Does anyone know how far the hike to the WWII buildings and light house? If I went back that would be interesting but I can't walk really long ways and it seems like that was stopped me the last time; I thought it was a mile or more?:confused:

Lunch is covered in your fare...fees are on drinks other than the water. :rolleyes: Doesn't matter though, it's a fun day. Go to your local Walmart, Kmart or Target and get a snorkel and mask...NCL says you have to have the vest on while snorkeling in the water. We rented them but didn't wear them all the time and no one bothered with us, so I don't think I would rent them again. Saw a very cool flounder, not to mention a lot of other fish, so lots of fun there! If you can find a cheapy raft (might be able to catch on at a local pool store if not at a discounter this time of year) take it with you. I have a $2 raft for the next cruise on the Pearl!

Does the ship provide the lunch on the island complementary or is there a fee associated only with the beverages and float rentals? Never been on a NCL ship before:o

When we were there last year it was a bust - crowded, sand looked dirty, food just boring (hot tea and coffee offered, no cold drinks but water), no fish to see when snorkeling off the beach (it looked like a moon scape underwater). Is the shorkeling better on the other side of the island with the lighthouse? Is the water calm? I would love to get off the boat, but not if it is like last time.

I'm going on the Sky 10/31. So if I get what everyone is saying I don't have to pay to go to the beach. I have my own stuff and vest. I was told by a NCL person that if you want to eat on the beach or use the beach chairs you have to buy the excursion .I don't want to pay 29.00 for 4 people but if I have to I will since I love to snorkel. If anybody can tell whats really going on. I know if you don't have the snorkel stuff you can rent it.

Maggie

I'm going on the Sky 10/31. So if I get what everyone is saying I don't have to pay to go to the beach. I have my own stuff and vest. I was told by a NCL person that if you want to eat on the beach or use the beach chairs you have to buy the excursion .I don't want to pay 29.00 for 4 people but if I have to I will since I love to snorkel. If anybody can tell whats really going on. I know if you don't have the snorkel stuff you can rent it.

Maggie

We have been on NCL three times and that is three times to their private island. We have been lucky and never had this day cancelled, we learned that getting on one of the first tender is important. We have never paid for anything other than renting a big float and buying drinks. You do not need to pay to use a chair or eat on the beach...just getting there early will get you a chair. Lunch is a basic bbq, we enjoyed it, our kids loved it. They have a little area where people sell local items, t-shirts etc. Having your own snorkel stuff is nice and when we got off the tender we snorkelled to the right of it. If you swim out a little ways towards the rocks at the outside of the bay, the snorkelling is really good we saw many many fish. You will enjoy it!

Browniegirl

Archived