Oil Prices Drop, Lobster Selling At Bologna Prices, What Can RCCL Claim Next?

We've seen fuel surcharges and disappearing lobster.

Well folks, oil prices are down to less than 50% of what they were a few months ago and lobster prices have fallen so much that the price of lobster in Maine today is about the same as bologna.:D

Isn't it about time we see a rollback on the fuel surcharges, and more lobster on the menu instead of a $14.95 steak?:rolleyes:

hmmm I'll have to check the prices on the lobster when I go shopping today, maybe that's what we will have for dinner. (easier to cook too);)

But I do see what you are saying, but unfortunately I think RCCL bought thier fuel when it was much higher, don't know, just a thought.

Happy Sailing

Sandy

all airline and yes cruiselines buy oil futures to protect them sekves from the major price fluctuations...we are still using the futures that were purchased when a barrel of cruse was at 155 to 145...and ya it's below 70 right now...not much we can do about this...maybe go to vegas instead of the high sea's...i would not look for the fuel surcharge to go any where until at least early december if not the 1st of the yr...the damage alwasy happend alot faster the the remedy can take effect...i'm backing rccl on this issue at least for a months or so...sorry poster

all airline and yes cruiselines buy oil futures to protect them sekves from the major price fluctuations...we are still using the futures that were purchased when a barrel of cruse was at 155 to 145...and ya it's below 70 right now...not much we can do about this...maybe go to vegas instead of the high sea's...i would not look for the fuel surcharge to go any where until at least early december if not the 1st of the yr...the damage alwasy happend alot faster the the remedy can take effect...i'm backing rccl on this issue at least for a months or so...sorry poster

If I am currently booked for Jan 09 and that happens will I get reimbursed?

Well folks, oil prices are down to less than 50% of what they were a few months ago and lobster prices have fallen so much that the price of lobster in Maine today is about the same as bologna.:D

Isn't it about time we see a rollback on the fuel surcharges, and more lobster on the menu instead of a $14.95 steak?:rolleyes:

Great post. All you have to do is turn on the TV for a minute to see

how corporate America works now.

Having said that it is their ship. They can do anything they want.

With the cruise rates changing every day if not every hour

I don't know why they just don't factor all costs

into the crusie fare. I know they started the fuel surcharge because

they think it is more consumer friendly but I think they underestimate

the intelligence of the consumer.

They weren't serving Maine lobster anyway.

And mainelobsterwholesale.com is showing 10 1.5 lb lobsters for $115 plus shipping and boxing, so you must be eating some gourmet bologna at your house.

that's a great 99 1/2 dollar question...i guess we are all going to have to wait to see what rccl and the other cruise lines decide to do with this sticky wickit...it'll be interesting to see which cruise line jumps in first with the fuel surchage curback and what parameters they put on it...it's all speculation right now...maybe they'll keep the fuell surcharge and give us free 14.95 steaks and alot of lobster or maybe free booze for a week...i would not loose any sleep over this issue...only loose sleep on somthing that you can control...

Blazing Saddles.

When Cleavon Little held a gun to his own head to hold off the townsfolk.

That is how I see those that demand the fuel surcharge go away NOW!

No one is holding that gun to anyone's head forcing them to cruise. It is merely one of the factors taken into consideration when making a buying decision.

Fuel costs were devastating cruise lines when oil was moving to $70. It did not become a problem after that, it was there long before that. So I doubt we will see a big drop soon and I sincrely believe Carnival's announcement is merely a clever PR ploy.

Blazing Saddles.

No one is holding that gun to anyone's head forcing them to cruise. It is merely one of the factors taken into consideration when making a buying decision.

Fuel costs were devastating cruise lines when oil was moving to $70. It did not become a problem after that, it was there long before that. So I doubt we will see a big drop soon and I sincrely believe Carnival's announcement is merely a clever PR ploy.

Great movie and great post!:D

Nothing personal to the OP of this thread, but are you running in an election to be the biggest complainer in the forum.;) You really need to step up your game if so, the incumbent has years of sharing these charming threads with us! :D

jc

Fine, so they buy oil futures.....what about oil they buy for a cruise next Spring? If they are buying cheaper oil for next Spring, shouldn't the fuel surcharge -if any - be lower as well?

That being said, unfortunately temporary fuel surcharges may be like temporary taxes.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=94068

STONINGTON (NEWS CENTER) -- As lobstermen in Maine enter their peak season, they are facing some of the lowest lobster prices in years.

Lobster is selling for just $2.75 a pound in Stonington. Lobstermen are already dealing with high fuel and bait prices. Some lobstermen are setting traps closer to shore and letting them sit longer to save money on fuel and bait.

The low prices are the result of low demand for lobster. Wholesaler Hugh Reynolds said demand is falling sharply from corporate chains who usually buy their lobster six to eight months in advance "There's less of a demand primarily in the frozen sector, which would come from places like Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, and corporate dining chains have slacked back on their product," Reynolds said.

"We don't know whether the customers in the restaurants aren't eating them or they are financially strapped due to the credit crunch to buy a lot of inventory ahead."

Reynolds said these are the lowest lobster prices he's seen since just after 9/11.

....and I sincrely believe Carnival's announcement is merely a clever PR ploy.

Carnival has already stated that the cruises without fuel surcharges are having/have had price increases. So it never goes away. Its just PR to make it look better. The whole truth in advertising that has plagued the airlines since the fuel surcharges started to be separated out to advertise a lower price.

RCI has to pay for that Money Pit the Oasis. Why couldnt they just stay with the Freedom Class alone for awhile longer, then go for the Oasis. Money is tight now for everyone and they are taking away stuff to pay for this ship...Just My Opinion though.

Actually the price for the Lobsters you mentioned is 8.95 a lb

Blazing Saddles.

Totally agree with you and w/ m blum as well. Hey if people don't like what is happening, then don't give your $$$. Carnival announcement never said they would roll back the surcharge now they were looking at another year or more by stating 2010. Hec anyhting can happen between then and now. Great marketing ploy to give the impression you are doing away with them.

golfer,

You got it right. RC has the nicest ships of the mainline crusielines. But I need a balance between a nice ship and good food as I can't eat the ship. To me part of the cruise was the dining experience.

Charge me what it costs to provide that. That is why we enjoy Princess over RC as they provide that balance.

The reason we will be going on the Jewel soon is that it is tough to beat homeporting to start out your cruise. 30 minutes and we are on the ship hassle free + relaxed. Will I starve? No. But RC's dining experience we have had is not equal to Princess. We will still have a great cruise.

There are many different components that go into the overall final cruise price and the fuel surcharge is 1 of them. I have been watching closely all the pricing components of my cruises, and on our next 3 cruises, We have received price drops in the cruise fare.;)

The way I am dealing with all of this is to look at the "total picture", be very aware of pricing details, and watch carefully for any possible adjustments in price, cruise itinerary, benefits, etc. Then I adjust to best fit with what options are presented to me.

I think that CC provides me with an opportunity to share knowledge, gain new knowledge, and that has enhanced my overall experience and saved me $.;)

I still believe that cruising is a great value and builds some wonderful memories.

Thank you to all of you who have posted on CC. You are all truly a remarkable community.

There are many different components that go into the overall final cruise price and the fuel surcharge is just 1 of them. I have been watching closely all the pricing components of my cruises, and on our next 3 cruises, We have received price drops in the cruise fare.;) The amounts exceed the fuel surcharge, so I look at it that I am ahead overall, because the total cruise is costing less than my original price.:D

The way I am dealing with all of this is to look at the "total picture", be very aware of pricing details, and watch carefully for any possible adjustments in price, cruise itinerary, benefits, etc. Then I adjust to best fit with what options are presented to me.

I think that CC provides me with an opportunity to share knowledge, gain new knowledge, and that has enhanced my overall experience and saved me $.;)

I still believe that cruising is a great value and builds some wonderful memories.

Thank you to all of you who have posted on CC. You are all truly a remarkable community.

golfer,

You got it right. RC has the nicest ships of the mainline crusielines. But I need a balance between a nice ship and good food as I can't eat the ship. To me part of the cruise was the dining experience.

Charge me what it costs to provide that. That is why we enjoy Princess over RC as they provide that balance.

The reason we will be going on the Jewel soon is that it is tough to beat homeporting to start out your cruise. 30 minutes and we are on the ship hassle free + relaxed. Will I starve? No. But RC's dining experience we have had is not equal to Princess. We will still have a great cruise.

It has been two years or so since we last cruised on Princess (Sapphire Princess) but it wasn't our experience that the dining on Princess was necessarily better than what we get on RCI. Some meals in the main dining room were as good as any we have had anywhere but others were to put it mildly, mediocre. The breakfasts and lunches in Horizon Court were forgettable and I thought that the Sterling Steak House where they disguised part of the Horizon Court by placing gauze curtains around the area and placing candles on the tables was over priced and didn't deliver anywhere near the fine dining experience we are accustomed to when we dine in Chops. I realize that both your opinion and mine of the dining experiences on Princess vs Royal Caribbean are both equally valid since they are subjective, but I did feel it necessary to point out that not everyone would agree with your assessment.:)

As far as the fuel surcharge is concerned, let's wait until prices have stablilized (if indeed they do) before demanding the removal of a charge that may quickly be reimposed should prices spike upwards again and should OPEC achieve their goal of restoring oil prices to $100 per barrel or above. At the present time it is quite easy to identify that surcharge. Once it is folded into the basic cruise fare, which is probably what Carnival intends to do at some point, it will be impossible to do much about having the fares reduced should oil prices remain stable or reach even lower levels.:rolleyes:

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=94068

STONINGTON (NEWS CENTER) -- As lobstermen in Maine enter their peak season, they are facing some of the lowest lobster prices in years.

Lobster is selling for just $2.75 a pound in Stonington. Lobstermen are already dealing with high fuel and bait prices. Some lobstermen are setting traps closer to shore and letting them sit longer to save money on fuel and bait.

The low prices are the result of low demand for lobster. Wholesaler Hugh Reynolds said demand is falling sharply from corporate chains who usually buy their lobster six to eight months in advance "There's less of a demand primarily in the frozen sector, which would come from places like Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, and corporate dining chains have slacked back on their product," Reynolds said.

"We don't know whether the customers in the restaurants aren't eating them or they are financially strapped due to the credit crunch to buy a lot of inventory ahead."

Reynolds said these are the lowest lobster prices he's seen since just after 9/11.

Now the oil prices are down and the Lobstermen are dealing with high fuel prices:rolleyes:

The Fuel Surcharge Is Only About 50 To 70 Per Person...i Truly Doubt That Any Of Us (maybe) Would Postpones A Cruise Becuase Of A 50 To 70 Charge...imcould Be Wrong...if A 70 Charge Is Going To Force A Cancellation Then We Should Have Never Booked It In The First Place...

I agree Bill, there are differing opinions on the components of a cruise. Six of us just returned Sunday from our first 7day Princess cruise on the Crown and not one of us enjoyed the food nor staffs lack of personalities. On RC staff would recognize us by name, nice touch. Food was extremely bland and seemed to have a European flare which wasn't appealing to us, unless you like fish and salmon with everything. Even desserts tasted like they were sugar free. We had a mini-suite and it no way compares to the Enchantment mini. Couldn't turn around in the Princess bathroom. Rooms were much too narrow, little drawer space and balconey much smaller. Not to say we didn't have a great time because we did. But it's back to RC for us!

Donna

The fuel surcharge was always about marketing not fuels costs. Covering fuel price increases could have been accomplished just as easiliy by raising cabin prices, the "fuel surcharge" idea just made it more marketable. It will go away as soon as it becomes a marketing liability, regardless of the price of a barrel of oil.

Great movie and great post!:D

Nothing personal to the OP of this thread, but are you running in an election to be the biggest complainer in the forum.;) You really need to step up your game if so, the incumbent has years of sharing these charming threads with us! :D

jc

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he should also give GM a few pointers.:rolleyes:

Archived