Oil Prices Drop, Lobster Selling At Bologna Prices, What Can RCCL Claim Next?

Well, first time posting to your topic - but um,

Can someone post the difference between whining and complaining?

In my book - if you take action to notify the powers that be of your concerns (complaints) that is complaining. If you come on an anonymous message board and grouse about the unfairness or the lack of need or how ever you wish to express it for the surcharges and changes, that is whining. At least IMHO.

I wouldn't dream of whining here about an issue of this magnitude without taking some other action also. To that end, several days ago I wrote to RCCL and asked them when the surcharges would be removed in light of plummeting oil prices.

And if one is quick to complain, he/she should also be quick to praise, and I just finished sending them a Thank You for listening to my complaint and taking action.

I also complained loudly about the loss of shareholder benefits - and also thanked them when they rescinded that decision.

And so, once again, to those who took potshots at me for complaining:p

Heck if I know! I think EFC, was referring to kool-aid and not jello. I rarely was able to read thru one of his/her entire posts though due to the multicolored fonts and letter styles, not to mention the all-too similar self back patting that the posts tended towards.

jc

LOL - Kool aid - that's it! Still don't understand, but at least got the right remark.

LOL - Kool aid - that's it! Still don't understand, but at least got the right remark.

Kool-aid drinker... comes from Jim Jones and Guyana. Really tragic cult thing, where the parents gave their children cyanide laced kool-aid and then they killed themselves. This was after Jim's goons discovered a California congressman was going to blow the lid off the entire cult, and they killed him.

Basically it is a not very nice way to describe someone. Hence my surprise that he was allowed to do it over and over and over and over and over.:D

jc

Kool-aid drinker... comes from Jim Jones and Guyana. Really tragic cult thing, where the parents gave their children cyanide laced kool-aid and then they killed themselves. This was after Jim's goons discovered a California congressman was going to blow the lid off the entire cult, and they killed him.

Basically it is a not very nice way to describe someone. Hence my surprise that he was allowed to do it over and over and over and over and over.:D

jc

:mad: I remember that, I would not have associated something like that with making fun of individuals the poster considers to be cheerleaders.

:mad: I remember that, I would not have associated something like that with making fun of individuals the poster considers to be cheerleaders.

EFC was saying that the cheerleaders are cult members who have drunk the kool-aid.

That was his/her little way of putting anyone who disagreed with them down.

jc

Darn, why didn't somebody tell me this thread was evolving????

Here I had to go back and read at least a dozen posts just to get caught up.

I just filled out an online survey from RCI about our recently completed Med cruise and the only thing I had to complain about

(and it was a complaint), was that I thought they were making a huge mistake building these floating cities complete with amusement park. The thought of a fuel surcharge didn't even come to mind as I feel it is not worth the trouble. A couple of hundred bucks isn't worth getting into a frenzy about anyway.

Cheers!:D

Aubie

Sorry, Aubie. We have moved beyond complaining at this point and have arrived at the self-congratulatory phase. You missed the whining phase completely!:D I can't work up any pity for you, though, since you have just gotten off a cruise and I am almost a year after my last and a year away from my next. I like the idea of a floating city, though. I just don't like where they are going to have the city float. The Eastern or Western Caribbean has to be the worst itinerary option available. JMHO and YMMV.

jc

Good for everyone who asked RCCL about the surcharge. I am sure in these tough economic times it was not an easy decision for them to make. However, I'm sure there is somewhere in the law or their business plan they have to roll it back when it is no longer a factor.

I ended up having to pay it for the first time on our upcoming (though frequently changed) short cruise.

I don't know how I'm going to feel about the "floating city" concept in cruising. I've yet to get beyond the Vision class so I don't have a feel yet for the really big ships or the upcoming megaship.

My only comment so far - from the rendering - it looks top heavy.

Have we hijacked the topic???

Sorry, Aubie. We have moved beyond complaining at this point and have arrived at the self-congratulatory phase. You missed the whining phase completely!:D I can't work up any pity for you, though, since you have just gotten off a cruise and I am almost a year after my last and a year away from my next. I like the idea of a floating city, though. I just don't like where they are going to have the city float. The Eastern or Western Caribbean has to be the worst itinerary option available. JMHO and YMMV.

jc

I did see the self-back-patting, just hope they didn't pull a muscle doing it. Something like that could turn into a permanent condition.

Aubie

I wouldn't dream of whining here about an issue of this magnitude without taking some other action also. To that end, several days ago I wrote to RCCL and asked them when the surcharges would be removed in light of plummeting oil prices.

And if one is quick to complain, he/she should also be quick to praise, and I just finished sending them a Thank You for listening to my complaint and taking action.

I also complained loudly about the loss of shareholder benefits - and also thanked them when they rescinded that decision.

And so, once again, to those who took potshots at me for complaining:p

You better watch out.:eek: Gonzo is on another thread taking credit for getting the fuel tax pulled back. He has the nerve to think it was his letter to RCI that did the trick. I think we need to see copies of both letters so we CC members can make an intelligent decision as to whom we should actually pay homage..... :rolleyes: :D :p

Darn, why didn't somebody tell me this thread was evolving????

Here I had to go back and read at least a dozen posts just to get caught up.

I just filled out an online survey from RCI about our recently completed Med cruise and the only thing I had to complain about

(and it was a complaint), was that I thought they were making a huge mistake building these floating cities complete with amusement park. The thought of a fuel surcharge didn't even come to mind as I feel it is not worth the trouble. A couple of hundred bucks isn't worth getting into a frenzy about anyway.

Cheers!:D

Aubie

What? You wrote to RCI about what a mistake the Oasis was? There goes one big boat :o ...... time to take down the Oasis sub-forum! :D :D :D

You better watch out.:eek: Gonzo is on another thread taking credit for getting the fuel tax pulled back. He has the nerve to think it was his letter to RCI that did the trick. I think we need to see copies of both letters so we CC members can make an intelligent decision as to whom we should actually pay homage..... :rolleyes: :D :p

They mentioned Chevy's letter, but said mine was far more convincing; just take my word for it. :D ;)

Yes. :D Remember the top is full of open space, the bottom has fuel, water, power plants, etc. so I am fairly confident that the engineers will have designed it so that going turtle isn't a likely occurrence.

jc

LOL - Going Turtle. NO - in an aestheitc sense - it is not as attractive as the average RCCL ship. It looks like a floating Ramada (no, I'm not dyslexic). ;)

Blazing Saddles.

When Cleavon Little held a gun to his own head to hold off the townsfolk.

As a big Mel Brooks fan, what a treat to see your reference in the midst of a cruise debate thread. Blazing Saddles is probably Brroks' funniest movie, though not overall his best (Young Frankenstein gets my vote there; the homage aspects are wonderfully done, the laboratory sets are the actual universal studio equipment from the orginal frankenstein, and unlike too many Mel Brooks movies--including Blazing Saddles--it has an actual ending), it has so many memorable bits. Richard Pryor with a screen writing credit, too.

Yes, the economy is what it is, and times being what they are, a cruise is a luxury item whether done in an interior stateroom on an older ship for 3 nights or on a Seabourn Luxury Line for 21 nights in the mediterranean. So griping about 10 dollar surcharges is really not a compelling issue to me.

But I do see what you are saying, but unfortunately I think RCCL bought thier fuel when it was much higher, don't know, just a thought.

Yes, but can't they call the PVP of oil and get their price reduced? :eek:

Carnival has already stated that the cruises without fuel surcharges are having/have had price increases. So it never goes away. Its just PR to make it look better. The whole truth in advertising that has plagued the airlines since the fuel surcharges started to be separated out to advertise a lower price.

I'd rather see the bottom line price listed. I don't care what componants go into the price formula. I only care about the number that shows up on my credit card statement.

Cruise lines change prices as often as I change shirts, If cost go up, raise the price, if they go down lower them.

RCCL has come up with an iffy deal as regards fuel surcharges. Fuel charges are already down, but RCCL is offering their removal or credit for 2009 and 2010. Not very cruiser friendly. What about those of us travelling in November or December?

The fuel surcharge was always about marketing not fuels costs. Covering fuel price increases could have been accomplished just as easiliy by raising cabin prices, the "fuel surcharge" idea just made it more marketable. It will go away as soon as it becomes a marketing liability, regardless of the price of a barrel of oil.

With the price of Oil at $65 a barrel, hasn't the fuel surcharge become a marketing liability yet?

Well, all I can say is try another line. We did and loved it. My wife and I are Diamond members and loved or should I say love the RCI brand. That said we are concerned with the cuts RCI has been making lately as well as the way they continue to raise prices. So we decided to try Carnival ( which we never thought we'd do ) and I must say we loved it. We have already booked again. Now we haven,t given up on cruising RCI but I agree with other peoples commits, try another line you just might like it, and RCI might just realize what they could lose out on ......market share.

By the way we paid 1,600.00 less for the same type of room with Carnival, and please remember this is just my opinion and my experience.

Well, all I can say is try another line. We did and loved it. My wife and I are Diamond members and loved or should I say love the RCI brand. That said we are concerned with the cuts RCI has been making lately as well as the way they continue to raise prices. So we decided to try Carnival ( which we never thought we'd do ) and I must say we loved it. We have already booked again. Now we haven,t given up on cruising RCI but I agree with other peoples commits, try another line you just might like it, and RCI might just realize what they could lose out on ......market share.

By the way we paid 1,600.00 less for the same type of room with Carnival, and please remember this is just my opinion and my experience.

Archived