Interconnecting Cabins

Short of checking each ship on each line, is there an easier way to find interconnecting cabins.

We're considering either Princess or HAL for a family Alaska cruise and will need three sets of interconnecting cabins -- just window or even inner classes. I realize that balconies can be opened but even if we could afford them balconies would be a bit risky with young children.

• Are any of the experts out there aware of which of the two lines offers more interconnecting cabins?
  • Has anyone left young children -- ages 4 to 6 in side by side cabins? I realize one would have to register a parent for the cabin.
  • The cruise is to be our treat and we'd like the parents to have some privacy. If you've travelled with young children and housed them is a separate cabin, do you feel they're safe?
  • Have any of you brought along baby monitors for security? Would they transmit between the walls?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

For young kids, I'd want connecting doors. For older kids, being next door would be fine--after all, they're probably closer in a next door (or even across the hall room) than they are at home in their own bedrooms.

If you don't have a cruise brochure, get one. The cruiselines will send them free. They will have the deck plans for each ship, so you can see if the rooms connect, and will know what you're booking!

Your parents are getting their own room which doesn't need to be connecting, correct? I haven't seen any ships so far with 3 connecting cabins!

with kids that age I would not just want cabins next to each other- you will need cabins with a connecting door between the cabins=-

Yes--by looking at deck plans you will be looking for a little arrow between each cabin- that denotes that there is a connecting door. I have yet to see three cabins that have connecting doors to each cabin.

Baby monitors dont always work and how would you know they needed you in the middle of the night.

Inside cabins are extremely dark 24 hours a day.

I realize one would have to register a parent for the cabin..

Actually, many cruiselines will book children in the next cabin without any adults in the cabin. Either adjoining or across the hall.

I think its smart to look for connecting cabins, but Carnival I know for instance will book the children next door and a adult does not have to be booked into the cabin. (their rule is next door or directly across the hall they will book the children in a cabin by themselves).

but Carnival I know for instance will book the children next door and a adult does not have to be booked into the cabin. (their rule is next door or directly across the hall they will book the children in a cabin by themselves).

Not always true. Depends on the agent etc.

When we cruised the Liberty last Aug we were not able to book our 18 month grandbaby is the room with her parents because neither was over 25. I wanted a room across the hall and it was still no go- I had to book the baby in with me and transfer her once we were onboard.

(I hated it since I read all the time how people are able to book their kids in a room next door- hated it soo much that I wrote a letter and never heard back)

Archived