Coral Princess - Panama Ft. L to LA - Newbie

HappyFaceBob

This might be my second cruise and I have 2 days left to book. I've tried looking in obvious sections on the boards but I can't seem to find specifics about this particular sailing. Panama Canal, 14 days, Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. Tried search but I only get 'search down' and some of the topics have SO many pages! So I am going to throw it out there in hopes that someone who has been on this cruise takes pity on me.

1. ANY advice from someone who has done this (or any) Princess cruise on excursions in these cities? Aruba, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, San Juan Dl Sur, Puerto Quetzal, Huatulco.

2. We will be using Princess air travel also, any info on that? Is it just a mad dash from SFO to Ft. Lauderdale airport to the ship?

3. How do you determine a fair price? I've seen 100-150 a day is that just cruise? What about air and excursion? (P.S. it's a balcony, does that change anything?)

Thanks in advance for any and all knowledge you share.

1. ANY advice from someone who has done this (or any) Princess cruise on excursions in these cities? Aruba, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Puntarenas, San Juan Dl Sur, Puerto Quetzal, Huatulco.

2. We will be using Princess air travel also, any info on that? Is it just a mad dash from SFO to Ft. Lauderdale airport to the ship?

we did a similar cruise not on Princess

for Cartegena ...do a ships tour, the city is a bit scary for walking around & the vendors hound you

Puntarenas...we just walked along the beach (right at the dock ) and into the town others did private zip lining trips & they had a great time

Puerto Quetzal ...they have taxi tours right at the dock much cheaper than the ship we took a tour into Antigua ..it is amazing, UNESCO site

cannot help with the other ports

I would checkout your own air & fly into FLL a day early if you can

enjoy the cruise

A full Panama Canal cruise is fabulous -- we have done several of them!!

Cartagena -- you are docked in a freight area --- do not go out on your own!! Take a ships tour -- the one that includes the Fort of San Felipe de Barajas -- usually a city tour -- is the best. One time we did the Bay cruise -- horrible -- so very hot under a canvas covering.

Puntarenas -- one time we took a combination bus and train ride which included a plantation visit and a boat ride through the mango groves

Puerto Quetzal -- the majority of the best tours are all day. One time we flew to Copan --that was so great!!! Another time we flew to Tikal -- so great!!

San Juan Del Sur -- we did the Grenada tour one time -- country side another time.

Aruba -- have been here tons of times as well -- first visit I always recommend taking an island tour just so that you get acquainted with the port and then you will know what you would like to do the next time you are there.

We did this cruise on the Coral on Sept 18th thru Oct 2nd. Had a great time. We did our own airfare because found I could do it cheaper on my own (by a lot). So cannot help you on the flight situation thru the Ship. We flew into LA same day arrived at 10:00 am and flew out of Ft Lauderale at 12:40 pm on the day of departure. Cheaper out of FLL. We used transfers from airport to ship and ship to airport thru the Ship.

I posted a review of the various excursions and our experience on the review section of Cruise Critic.

We had a fantastic time and you will really enjoy yourselfs. The Coral is a beautiful ship loved her.

I'm also going to be doing this cruise on 12/9/08 and decided on it because of the itinerary. All new ports for me and have heard all positives about the Coral.

I always try to fly Southwest domestically - usually the best prices, no extra fees, the best freq. flyer program, and all 737's (no small regional jets). They fly from SFO to FLL. I checked the cost for the upcoming 1/6/09 cruise and the total round trip cost was $373, tax included. Unfortunately, we have to fly home from LAX on Dec. 23 and that flight cost more than usual. But the total cost still wasn't bad. Do be sure you fly into FLL a day ahead - just in case of any delays.

We did this cruise 2 yrs ago. We took Princess air as we were flying one way from the west coast, and their price was better than anything I found. They also flew us out a day before and put us up at a hotel for the night.

I was way cheaper for us to do it threw Princess than booking everything seperate ourselves.

We had great flights on Continental out of Vancouver, BC

It was a awsome cruise and as it was the last one of the season we stayed on the ship and took the 4 day coastal cruise to Vancouver.

Would do this cruise again!!!!

First... THANKS, I love Cruise Critic... everyone is so helpful!

We booked it and will see you on the Dec 09 sailing!

For Thecat123... I don't see a link... and am definately trying to gather as much info as I can. If you have time, can you post it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

All I have to add is that the Coral is my favorite ship so far!

The Panama Canal Itinerary is Awesome and you will most likely have excellent weather in January.

That particular ship and itinerary is what got me HOOKED on cruising 5 years ago.

Bon Voyage!

Hi,

Am on the Coral right now, we arrive in FLL tomorrow. This is only my second cruise, here are my thoughts:

We did use the Princess service for our airfare from Boston to LAX and their bus to the ship, and it was very easy. The fare was good, and the it worked like clockwork.

The ports:

I disagree, Cartagena was a delight. The port itself is nice, we walked out of the cruise port area (where they have shops and a cafe) and got a cab for $15 to the Old City. it is beautiful and very well preserved. We then caught a cab back to the ship for $11. The Colombians do come right up to you, but when you say No, they leave you alone.

Unfortunately there was a taxi strike, so no stop in Puntarenas Costa Rica this trip, they went on to Panama City (Puerto Amador). We did not get off, but heard from passengers that they enjoyed it.

The Canal transit is amazing, the ship has an expert commentator on the loudspeakers all day, so you know everything that is happening, the history, etc.

Huatulco was good for a walk about, and a pretty beach. Did not do any shore excursions from the ship.

Guatemala we did the "Antigua on your own" and it was nice. It is a world heritage site. About a 90 minute bus ride each way.

Aruba is nice, but we were there on SUnday, so only the shops right near the pier were open, mainly jewelry shops and souvenir huts.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the ports or the ship, happy to answer what I can.

BostonPaul

First... THANKS, I love Cruise Critic... everyone is so helpful!

We booked it and will see you on the Dec 09 sailing!

For Thecat123... I don't see a link... and am definately trying to gather as much info as I can. If you have time, can you post it again.

I don't know if this will work???

Panama Canal Jan. 20, 2009

Thinking of doing LA to Fort Lauderdale

Archived