Las Caletas or Krystal and Sea Turtles

lacurtis

Hi-

I need advice on whether to do Las Caletas for the full day or head to Krystal for part of the day (which would include a massage for DH and I) and then do the Sea Turtle release in the early evening.

My daughter is 3 and would love doing both trips. I am just wondering if it might be easier on us all to break up the day and come back to the ship.

The downside of the turtles is that it runs during the dinner hours (5-8 p.m.) so we would have to pack food and skip dinner.

What is it like spending the entire day (11:30 - 7:30) at Caletas? I love the idea of resting in the hammocks in the afternoon and all of the natural beauty that it offers so I am torn...

We sail on Nov. 11 and PV will be our last of six port days.

Thanks for any advice or insight!!

Laura

Hi-

I need advice on whether to do Las Caletas for the full day or head to Krystal for part of the day (which would include a massage for DH and I) and then do the Sea Turtle release in the early evening.

My daughter is 3 and would love doing both trips. I am just wondering if it might be easier on us all to break up the day and come back to the ship.

The downside of the turtles is that it runs during the dinner hours (5-8 p.m.) so we would have to pack food and skip dinner.

What is it like spending the entire day (11:30 - 7:30) at Caletas? I love the idea of resting in the hammocks in the afternoon and all of the natural beauty that it offers so I am torn...

We sail on Nov. 11 and PV will be our last of six port days.

Thanks for any advice or insight!!

Laura

Laura, It would help if you told us what ship you would be on and the hours that you were supposed to be in Vallarta.

It would also help if you could tell us who you were thinking of booking the Turtle Camp excurson with. I know of two operators that run a "turtle camp" tour and both appear that they could run rather late. The 5 PM start time will flex. (If this is a ship's excursion, then disregard my concern about missing the ship when it leaves.)

We have been going to Las Caletas for the last seven years. They offer a 9 AM excursion and a non-listed 11:30 excursion for late arriving ships and overflow from the 9 AM excursion. We were on the late excursion last year and you should be back at the port between 5-6 PM. (not sure where you got the 7:30 PM return time?) It is a great way to spend the day and that is what keeps us coming back (November 10th this year :D )

Enjoy!

We are on the Ryndam, we sail on Novemebr 11th. We are in PV on Tuesday the 18th, when are you there??

We arrive at 9 a.m. and leave at 11 p.m. The Las Caletas leaves at 11:30 and is an 8 hour tour- so the return would be 7:30- this seems late.

The turtle tour is listed by 2 companies and I have also contacted Oscar at Vallarta Nature who does not do an official tour and runs a non-profit- so our time would be more flexible and shorter!! We would skip the crocodile farm and just focus on the turtles!!

We are on the Ryndam, we sail on Novemebr 11th. We are in PV on Tuesday the 18th, when are you there??

We arrive at 9 a.m. and leave at 11 p.m. The Las Caletas leaves at 11:30 and is an 8 hour tour- so the return would be 7:30- this seems late.

The turtle tour is listed by 2 companies and I have also contacted Oscar at Vallarta Nature who does not do an official tour and runs a non-profit- so our time would be more flexible and shorter!! We would skip the crocodile farm and just focus on the turtles!!

It's been 23 years since my little girl was three. I would think that there will be a nap or two in the works during your stay in Vallarta.

Las Caletas is the property where John Huston lived back in the sixties. It has been developed and operated as a tourist hide-a-way (all-inclusive beach break) on the far south side of Banderas Bay during the last decade or so. It has expanded and improved quite a bit since we first visited in 2000.

The property is used for a sunset dinner in the evening. Other threads report that the ship's excursion (early evening version) Rhythms of the Night pushes off the dock around 4:30 PM and arrives at Las Caletas roughly 45 minutes later. Your 11:30 "Caletas by Day" excursion will have you off the beach and headed back to Vallarta before they arrive. That is why your 7:30 estimated return time is way late. You would be back to the ship between 5-6 PM.

Laura ... I think Las Caletas and Turtles, with a three year old, is a little too ambitious. Check out this web site for up-to-date maps and a great overview of the city. http://www.vallartainfo.com/

I assume you will have a travel stroller. I suggest you grab a taxi and head to the far south side (La Palapa restaurant for reference) and enjoy the Los Muertos beach area while your daughter is still fresh (this is not a stroller friendly area). Slowly work your way north toward the Malecon (stroller friendly surfaces) and shop along the way. Taxi back to the ship when tired. Later, walk to the Krystal for afternoon pool/beach/massage and take on the turtles in the evening.

This will give you a less structured (looking at your watch all the time) day and you will enjoy yourself more.

We have a couple timeshares in the greater Vallarta area and generally stay at the Sheraton for a couple weeks in early November. Arriving the 1st and leaving the 15th this year. Las Caletas for us on the 10th (no ships in port that day).

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all the info!! I think we are going with Las Caletas for the day. DD can take a nap with me in the hammocks so we are good there! The tour that leaves at 11:30 does not charge for her at all!!!! On the ship's tour, she is full adult price at $104 which is why I was thinking of an alternate day.

We were in PV last year and did the Malecon walk, but no beach and it was a long hot day for her with not much to do. We enjoyed the Isla Cuale area the most. She loves the water and loves animals so we are going for a one stop day that will be as busy or as relaxed as we want! Las Caletas sounds like a perfect way to end the trip too!

We will have to do the sea turtles next time!!

Thanks for all the great info! Any more thoughts on Caletas with a little one- it seems we will have plenty to choose from!!

lacurtis,

We just did Las Caletas a couple of weeks ago. If your daughter likes animals, they have trained parrots that fly out to the catamaran upon arrival to the beach. The parrots are there for everyone to see during the day. They also brought out two sea lions and for an extra charge you could swim with the sea lions. We didn't swim with them, but were able to watch some of their show from the beach area.

They also have massages there for extra fee. We did indulge, and it was a wonderful, relaxing time. Enjoy your day there.

Vette

I'd say you've made a good choice! We have been to Las Caletas several times. The catamaran ride over and back is very fun, and we saw sea turtles along the way, and I believe sometimes dolphins are spotted too. Once you arrive at the dock area, you then walk a ways on a pathway that passes the eating area, down a couple of steps onto the sand. We always choose to sit right in that immediate beach area nearest the eating area. The sea lion has always performed in the water right in front of that area. Our grandchildren took the hike up the hill behind the restaurant and they had a little monkey up there. The kids have lots of pictures of themselves with the monkey on their shoulder. Also, there are some hammocks, but I didn't see many. The "loungers" are actually like a canvas sling seat on a wooden frame - I think they would be perfect for a nap! At least I had trouble getting up once settled in one! It's been since December of 2006 since we've been there, so some things could have changed since then. The food was very good and the margaritas delicious! Hope you enjoy your day!

Thanks for all the insight!! We are very excited to spend the day at Las Caletas. It sounds like a perfect way to spend the day in our last port!

You will love Las Caletas......and if you book through Puerto Vallarta Tours with Johann & Sandra, it will cost you a LOT less. We booked through them when we went and it was a great tour! You and your child will have a wonderful time...

You will love Las Caletas......and if you book through Puerto Vallarta Tours with Johann & Sandra, it will cost you a LOT less. We booked through them when we went and it was a great tour! You and your child will have a wonderful time...

oh boy..now I'm nervous. We have this excursion booked through Princess but see I can save almost $73 by booking through Johan & Sandra. How far was it from where the cruise ships dock to where you need to go to meet up for this tour when booked though J & S?

$73 makes it very tempting to change since it's exactly the same excursion. Is just getting there and back what is different then from booking via the ship? Is it a different catamaran or something that takes you our there? Or are you on the same boat as cruise ship passengers?

oh boy..now I'm nervous. We have this excursion booked through Princess but see I can save almost $73 by booking through Johan & Sandra. How far was it from where the cruise ships dock to where you need to go to meet up for this tour when booked though J & S?

$73 makes it very tempting to change since it's exactly the same excursion. Is just getting there and back what is different then from booking via the ship? Is it a different catamaran or something that takes you our there? Or are you on the same boat as cruise ship passengers?

It's the same exact tour as the ship offers, the passengers from the ship meet right as you get off the ship. We met the tour right next to where the ship passengers met. You walk off the ship, and out of the area and walk down the sidewalk about a half of a block and that is where you check in for the tour, it's a boat that takes you to Las Caletas...we arrived before the ship tour did. The lunch they serve is really good, free drinks, alcohol and non alcoholic drinks are offered. You can snorkle, watch the sea lions put on a show..lots and lots of things to do..I would book a tour with them again in a heart beat. It's really a lot of fun and very well organized!

We are meeting right at the dock for our tour- right next to where the ship's tour will leave from. The price through the ship was $312 for 3 of us and $160 (they do not charge for DD who is 3) arranging it ourselves. A huge difference for the exact same tour.

Save some money and book through the outside party!!

Archived