Laundry on Celebrity - $ saving tips?

CanWeGoYet?

On a transatlantic, I washed socks for DH and myself and hung them on the veranda to dry overnight. In the morning they were all crusted with salt. Oh well, wash them again. Then they took three days to dry in the cabin. I finally put a few at a time on the top of the refrigerator which had a warm top. It was a real pain, next long cruise I will go for the bag of clothes at the end. For me, washing is easy, drying is never ending.

I was wondering about the salt spray myself. You mentioned a refrigerator - are those only in the suites?

OK no offense but... let me get this straight: You wouldn't want to wear clothes that have been cleaned in the same laundry as a strangers clothes, BUT you don't mind sticking a snorkel in your mouth that was used by countless strangers and cleaned by unknown means by a deck-hand on some boat or some guy working in a small beach shack?

Sorry but I just don't get it. While I can appreciate the economic issues some folks have I've never worried about hygiene of items cleaned in the same laundry.

Even after thinking about your post I still have no issue having my clothes cleaned in the ship's laundry but I do carry at least my own snorkel & mask - although I will wear rental & excursion fins.

If you think I am extreme then you should meet a friend of mine who will bring pillow cases and bed sheets with her on her travel.

Like I said it is not limited to cruises because I travel for business to very remote areas and I don't trust even the hotel's laundry so it is a habit for me.

I also always bring a small bottle of sanitizer or wipes with me to sanitize anything that will go into my mouth, sometimes a small bottle of alcohol. Breathing tube is the only thing that I will take with me, not masks or fins, especially fins. Last time I was in Cancun they provided one time use breathing tubes that we get to keep afterwards so it wasn't an issue there.

But it is just my personal habit, not meant to stop anyone from using onboard laundry service.

If you think I am extreme then you should meet a friend of mine who will bring pillow cases and bed sheets with her on her travel.

Like I said it is not limited to cruises because I travel for business to very remote areas and I don't trust even the hotel's laundry so it is a habit for me.

I also always bring a small bottle of sanitizer or wipes with me to sanitize anything that will go into my mouth, sometimes a small bottle of alcohol. Breathing tube is the only thing that I will take with me, not masks or fins, especially fins. Last time I was in Cancun they provided one time use breathing tubes that we get to keep afterwards so it wasn't an issue there.

But it is just my personal habit, not meant to stop anyone from using onboard laundry service.

You are entitled to your concerns. By the way, when does Monk come back on the air?

I know someone that owns a dry cleaning store, if you only see how they re-use the solution.... yuks

It would be very expensive and not environmentally friendly to just dump the dry cleaning solvent and detergents after every use as is done in most home laundering. If done properly, during the cleaning cycle the solution is passed through a filter (to remove solid particles such as dirt, hair, fibres, etc.) which also contains activated carbon to remove soluble matter such as colorants (from stains). Pretty well all color dyes are water soluble or dispersable thus are not solvent soluble and do not typically come out of the fabric into the dry cleaning solution so this procedure tends not to affect the color of the garments which is one of the main features of dry cleaning. There is also a very small amount of water emulsified or held in the solution. It is there to remove water soluble material from the surface of the fabric but not enough water is present or gets into the fibres to cause swelling of these which is the main cause of garment shrinkage in normal laundering or to effect the color. No shrinkage is the other main feature of the dry cleaning procedure.

Reusing dry cleaning solution - ok by me.

Reusing the same sauce perpetually in the teriyaki chicken vat = gross :p

We all have our standards and quirks. I have friends who cannot imagine frequenting a public swimming pool because "other bodies" use the same water.

I would tend to worry more about the sheets and gowns you use when going to the hospital as a patient, having worked in hospitals my entire career I know what that hospital laundry is dealing with. But each to their own, I asked for advice on the laundry situation and I appreciate all the feedback given.

On our 12 night Mediterranean cruise this past August we sent out the laundry twice. There was a $20 coupon in the coupon book (the book was sitting on the desk when we arrived-I'm sure all cabin attendants can supply them) for the stuff as much as you can bag. It was very hot every day and it would have been NASTY to wear those clothes a second time!!! Everything came back clean, fresh & folded nicely. We also made use of the dry cleaning services. My husband only brought 1 suit and 2 decent pairs of pants-the drycleaning was as good as it is at home (maybe better!) In total we spent maybe $50-$60 on laundry & dry cleaning for our 12 night cruise-money well spent in my opinion!

Terri

The stories about how to do your own laundry reminded me of a funny incident I had on an RCCL ship a few years ago...

I was traveling with my mom, and the 12 day cruise was the middle segment of a nearly month-long vacation. Needless to say, there was laundry that needed to be done. Unwilling to participate in the ship's laundry service (expensive and I am too much of a control freak to let any one else wash my clothes) we laundered EVERYTHING in our sink. We even had a three position system- first position was in the shower, hanging on the line, until the water was dripped out. Position two was over chairs, on a hanger, draped on a suitcase. Position three was the "final dry" in the little space behind the curtains but in front of the window so the sun would assist. One day, we had a slew of unmentionables in position three (right in front of the window.) Imagine our surprise when we woke up, opened the curtains to remove the items, and found that we had docked and the ships' gangway was placed very near to our own cabin and our undies had been in plain view of the staff, security guards, disembarking pax, et cetera!

We were on a 10 night cruise of Italy, Greece and Turkey on the Galaxy in early October. I had heard about the $20 coupon book and was looking forward to using it mid-way during the cruise. Well, the coupon cost was $35 for a bag of laundry and it was near the very end of the cruise, for bringing back clean clothes - that is not what I had in mind. I don't mind bringing home dirty clothes and washing when I get home to my own washer and dryer. IMHO, I think that more people on a long (10 or more nights) cruise would appreciate having their laundry done mid-cruise so they don't have to pack as many clothes. I was also surprised by the $35 charge, as these boards had discussed the $20 coupon prior to our cruise.

Another tip for getting laundry dry: Roll it in a towel (put several items in the towel), then stomp on the towel. Yes, stomp. Turn the rolled towel over and stand on the other side. Another quarter turn, stand on it again. Do this enough and whatever you've rolled up will almost always be 100% dry - even in the bathroom - by morning. I've rolled things for years, but just learned about stomping/standing on the rolled towel, and it really makes a difference. Things are still damp enough that any wrinkles from the treatment hang out.

I guess it's a toss-up between paying the airlines to take another suitcase so you have enough clothes without washing, or pay for laundry.

My funny story (sad, really) was when we took my 80 year old father on a Mediterranean cruise. A few days into it, I said we're going to send out some laundry, do you have anything? He starts handing me a PILE of stuff - I said, we haven't been gone that long how can you have so much???? Well, being 80 and living alone, clean clothes weren't his top priority, so he ended up just packing what he had dirty or not! And was using this opportunity to get them clean - talk about wanting to strangle someone!

Same trip my husband was appalled at what (Princess) wanted to wash socks - $1 a pair! He bought some in Turkey for 50 cents a pair, said even if they fall apart after one washing he's ahead - they lasted about 3 washings, so he was happy.

On our 12 night Mediterranean cruise this past August we sent out the laundry twice. There was a $20 coupon in the coupon book (the book was sitting on the desk when we arrived-I'm sure all cabin attendants can supply them) for the stuff as much as you can bag.

Terri

The coupon book is for members of the Captain's Club - Celebrity's past passengers club.

And the price for the bag varied depending on the level of membership.

During cruise, to extend the "freshness" of my dual-use exer/swim shorts I put a new scented soap on a rope down the front of my trunks. Seems to help but I've also noticed quite an increase in ladies striking up a conversation with me in pool, sports area when I'm in those trunks - go figure. :D

Archived