To Islander...more advice please!!

luvstocruz62

Hello Islander,
Boy, you are a wealth of information and so very kind to help all of us out. I will be coming to St. Thomas on the Zuiderdam on Nov 30. We are docking or tendering (I'm not sure) from Crown Bay (I hope that's it, don't have info in front of me). We will be in port until 11:00 p.m. We will be going to St John during the day to enjoy those wonderful beaches, but wanted to do a little shopping and possibly eat dinner that night in St. Thomas. What time will the shops close if the ship does not leave until 11:00? Is Crown Bay close to anything or must we taxi back to C.A. or Havensight? Can you suggest a nice place to eat within walking distance from the ship (if there is such a thing). Any info that you can provide about the area of Crown Bay will be helpful. I have been to St. Thomas numerous times, but have always been docked at CA or Havensight. Thanks again for your assistance. Carolyn:confused:

Hello Carolyn,

Crown Bay is a dock (and the name of the area where the dock is located) so you should be docked. There isn't a shopping mall area like Havensight has, you will have to taxi to town or Havensight. Places to eat - Tickles is closeby and its a casual and good place to eat, not a fancy place.

I have made the following comment a number of times and I am going to make it again. Confirm that you can stay off the ship until 11pm or 10pm... I really have very rarely seen passengers off the ships pass 6pm even when their ships are in port until late at night or even overnight... so I have always assumed that the ship required the passengers to be back on the ship around the same time 5-6pm regardless of how late they were staying.

The exception to this happens to be the Christmas Tree lighting and Christmas Party at Havensight dock.... which happens to be November 30th this year. Aren't you in luck!!? More on this after.

The stores close at 5pm or thereabouts in town and Havensight regardless of ships staying later.

The exception being Christmas at Havensight celebration.

So the Havensight's stores will be open on November 30th until about 9pm. And there will be live music by local bands, Santa Claus, Christmas Tree lighting, local arts and crafts, local food and drinks on sale, sales and specials at the stores and lots of fun. It starts at 5:30pm.

I would say if you can stay off the ship until late at night skip the restaurant downtown and attend this event; you will have the opportunity to enjoy local music, maybe a little dancing in the streets, choirs, steel pan performances, mocko jumbie dancers, eat some local food, have some drinks and enjoy early shopping sales. Plan to be there around when it starts.

--Islander
Vinow.com

:D Thanks for the great info. We will definitely plan on staying out for the Christmas events at Havensight. I love local island events and this sounds like something that we would not want to miss. I didn't realize the "rules and regulations" of the ship as every time that I have been to St. Thomas, we have always left at 5:00 so this 11:00 pm departure is something new to me. I just assumed that we would be able to do our own thing until departure time. Thanks again for your help and I will see you at the Christmas event on the 30th!! Carolyn:cool:

Carolyn,

I forgot to note... the exception I have seen of passenger staying off the ship to enjoy the Havensight events was for the ships docked at Havensight. I don't know about Crown Bay... I would suggest double checking what time you have to be back to the ship just so you aren't dissappointed.

--Islander
Vinow.com

Archived