Penguin Excursions

cruiseyguy

The BEST viewing is on the Falklands (so far for me) have done several on that itinerary and on the Port Stanley departure you get real close to the creatures. Check out the thread "Sparrow Cove & Bluff Cove" for more details.

When we did Valparaiso to BA last year, MANY passengers selected Puerto Madryn as their "penguin port," only to be crushed when we had to skip the port due to weather/seas. Since that was the last "penguin port," there was no opportunity to book another. I'm sure it has probably happened, but I've never read that Punta Arenas was skipped due to weather, whereas the Falklands and Puerto Madryn have, so if you really want to see penguins (and you MUST!), be careful about boxing yourself into just one port especially if it's at the end of the cruise. Have a great time! Fantastic cruise!

Hello jasl,

We have chosen Punta Arenas to view the pengins on our 11/28/04 cruise.

I agree with shmabbies that we won't miss that port and there are many penguins to see. I don't want to be disappointed.

Websites I've gone to:

http://www.interpatagonia.com/paseos/islamagdalena_pinguinos/index_i.html

http://www.tylersterritory.com/travel/samerica/chile/arenas/arenas-18.html

http://www.islamagdalena.com/index-in.php

http://www.tierramerica.net/2002/0120/iacentos.shtml

http://www.photo.net/travel/southamerica/patagonia/index3.html

Hope this helps,

You do get much closer to them at Sparrow Cove than in Punta Arenas. They are really totally different experiences and personally I would suggest doing both or maybe Sparrow Cove and Puerto Madryn (I'm speculating that the Puerto Madryn excursion is roughly similar to Punta Arenas though I don't know this for sure since we didn't get in there). In both Punta Arenas and Sparrow Cove we had plenty of time to do other things as well. In the Falklands, for example,we did the Sparrow Cove excursion, an "overview" of the Stanley area excursion, and had plenty of time to walk around Stanley & shop etc. In other words, it's not "all or nothing else" if you go to Sparrow Cove there and to me the experiences are much different. I'd hate to pick just one of them!

Hi DAJU;

Wherever you go, you won't be disappointed in the beasties, they are so fascinating. Shmabbies brought up a good point about missing the port, that quite often happens at the Falklands and his/her advice is great. Punta Arenas (for us) required a long drive and a long walk, the weather was good and we enjoyed it. Don't think HAL stops at Puerto Madryn, we went to the Valdez Peninsula there - a long dusty drive - and not all that good.

We were originally booked on your voyage but changed to the Christmas/NY cruise. Hope you'll have a wonderful cruise on this great itinerary. Safe travels. . . . . .

No Judy, did not take this trip, but might just do that on our cruise. Besides the penquins, you'll probably see other wildlife as well. We did the Otway Bay (had forgotten the name) and found it good but not the great experience we had in the Falklands. Happy planning.

Which penguin site was the easiest to walk. I cannot walk very far but would love to see a bunch of them. Would I be better off taking a private tour rather than the ships tour? I am going on the Royal Princess in February.

Thank you

Hi Carol,

My husband can walk, but slowly.

Hoping he can do the Magdalena Island tour on Punta Arenas.

You go by bus to the ferry, then ferry to the island. I believe you must walk about a mile across the island while viewing the penguins to meet the ferry on the other side.

I think walking is involved in most of the tours, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Check out the disability board to ask your question. They always help with this kind of problem.:)

Magdalena Island-Unless they have changed the tour, you board the ferry, disembark the ferry on the island, are free to walk as much or as little as you want, then reboard the ferry. The ferry does not move-stays anchored at the inlet to the island. There is a lighthouse and museum at the top of the island-supposed to be the farthest south lighthouse in the world. AFAIK it is co-owned by Chile and Argentina. You do not have to walk to the lighthouse-it is up hill, not real steep, but still about 1/2 mile of uphill. There are penguins ALL OVER. You are not supposed to touch them, but we did. They are mostly very docile and used to people looking at them. They walk in front of you on the paths all the time. In fact-they make nests right in the path-you have to walk around their nests. I wouldn't have missed this tour for the world. It really was the best tour we did. But make sure you have gloves, hat, and warm jacket, NOT a windbreaker. It is VERY windy, which makes it cold, even though the temp was about 45.

I have some pretty good pictures, taken Feb. 2002, showing the ferry, the walk up hill, the lighthouse and LOTS and LOTS of penguins. However, everytime I try to upload them on CC, it says my files are too large. I am not computer literate enough to figure out how to make them smaller. So if you are interested, email and I will send them to you.

Gina

Gina,

Thanks so much for the preview of the penguin tour. I'm even more excited now that I know we can stay near the ferry. Hope it's still the same as it was. Glad we don't have to walk so far if we don't feel like it.!:D

Gina and Judy,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately there is no tour listed for Magdalena Island. However, I will look for a private tour. From Punta Arenas they take people to Otway Bay. They say there is a mile walk before you get to the Penguins.

Carol,

The Magdalena Island ferry runs on Tues. Thurs. and Sat. according to their website. Maybe you can buy a tour on your own. Look on their website. You may be able to pick up a tour on the dock.

Good luck.

We booked 2 trips on our cruise round Cape Horn last year on the Norwegian Crown, Falkland Islands and Ottway Sound (from Punta Arenas). The Falklands trip was far, far better for getting close up with the little guys (if you don't move around too much they come up to see what you are!!). On the Ottway sound trip you just had to walk round the pathways and didn't get in among them in the same way.

Has anyone seen any king penguins?

We would like to visit Volunteer point in the Falklands but have not been able to find a tour.

We would love to see king penguins!

Thank you!

NCP

HI NCP - January 3, 2004, while cruising on the "Royal Princess" cruise from Cape Town, we took a tour in the Falklands and saw 4 King Penguins. The tour picked us up at the ship and took us all to "Sparrow Cove". There were two large groups of Penguins. There was even an albino penguin. These were all "Gentoo's". Nesting among them were 4 "Kings". We were so excited to see them, had never seen them before.

Weather can change so fast in the Falkland Islands. A storm came up and last tour group to Sparrow cove had to be cancelled. Our table mates missed their tour. Fortunately, I had lots of pictures to share. I would highly recommend the "Sparrow Cove" tour, if offered again this year. Have fun, Lorraine :D

We are on the HAL Amsterdam leaving Rio on Dec. 15. My husband uses a wheelchair, which I am able to push almost anywhere. The ship offers a tour from Magdelena Island. Port Compass has a tour to Otway, which we have booked because the representative tells us that there is a boardwalk that is accessible for wheelchairs. There is a viewing platform, with the opportunity to see penguins. Those of you who have been to Magdelena isalnd, a couple of questions. 1) is the terrain amongst the penguins such that one could handle a wheelchair, so that one could have the opportunity to get fairly close to them? 2) is there any sort of boardwalk? 3) If one had to walk (no path for wheelchair) how far would one have to go to see a penguin up close?

Also, someone mentioned the wind and cold. Why not a windbreaker? We are thinking of layering a sweatshirt, down jacket and windbreaker. Does this sound sensible? Also, we have windbreaker type pants that will go on over blue jeans. Will we need these? It's really hard figuring out clothing for everything from jungles of Brazil (we are doing Iguazu Falls first) then the extremes of Antarctica, to say nothing of four formal nights on the ship, plus wondering what the day time attire will be there (winter casual clothes or summer casual clothes, or some of each???)

Karen in Arizona- we leave ONE MONTH FROM TOMORROW~~

We are on the HAL Amsterdam leaving Rio on Dec. 15. My husband uses a wheelchair, which I am able to push almost anywhere. The ship offers a tour from Magdelena Island. Port Compass has a tour to Otway, which we have booked because the representative tells us that there is a boardwalk that is accessible for wheelchairs. There is a viewing platform, with the opportunity to see penguins. Those of you who have been to Magdelena isalnd, a couple of questions. 1) is the terrain amongst the penguins such that one could handle a wheelchair, so that one could have the opportunity to get fairly close to them? 2) is there any sort of boardwalk? 3) If one had to walk (no path for wheelchair) how far would one have to go to see a penguin up close?

Also, someone mentioned the wind and cold. Why not a windbreaker? We are thinking of layering a sweatshirt, down jacket and windbreaker. Does this sound sensible? Also, we have windbreaker type pants that will go on over blue jeans. Will we need these? It's really hard figuring out clothing for everything from jungles of Brazil (we are doing Iguazu Falls first) then the extremes of Antarctica, to say nothing of four formal nights on the ship, plus wondering what the day time attire will be there (winter casual clothes or summer casual clothes, or some of each???)

Karen in Arizona- we leave ONE MONTH FROM TOMORROW~~

Hi Karen,

We picked Magdalena Island. We leave in two weeks. You'll be embarking when we disembark. I can't figure out the clothes either. At least there will be a laundry room on board. According to Greatam in this thread, we will be able to see penguins near the ferry on the island. Hope your Port Compass works out. Your windbreaker idea sounds good. Think I'm going to take tights to wear under jeans. If we freeze, it will only be for a little while.:rolleyes: I really appreciate all the wheelchair help you've given me over the last months. Bon voyage and we can compare notes when you return.

Hi Everyone,

I guess there is confusion about a windbreaker. What I meant was don't just put on a sweatshirt and a windbreaker over the top. A lot of Europeans on our cruise did just that and they had a miserable time. I guess because it was summer in South America, they thought it would be warm. It was VERY windy (probably 30MPH) and the cold just blew right through you. Kind of like the Midwest on one of those cold, blustery early spring days.

You need gloves, a hat, a sweater or sweatshirt AND a warm jacket. Down is excellent, as it packs very compactly. I had on a light wool sweater, fleece pullover, and my long leather down lined coat. It has a big hood and I am so thankful I had gloves.

When we were there in Feb. 2002, the penguins were in the water, right next to where the ferry docked. And then right at the end of the ramp where you get off the ferry, there is a welcome sign. The penguins were burrowed in their nests, right under the sign.

The penguins are just getting to their nesting areas the middle of November-first of December. The young will just be hatching, so may be in their nests. I learned that they spend about six months on land and then its sink or swim, as they spend the next six in the water.

Enjoy your cruises. We had an absolutely wonderful time.

I hope I can help on the clothing issue for this excursion.

First, you can remain inside the bus for the entire ferry transit if you want-that way you will be out of the wind and it should be a tad warmer than being outside. With the exception of the busses, there is not much shelter on the ferry-we spent most of the transit time outside just to enjoy the fresh air.

Second, definitely take gloves, earmuffs, hooded windbreaker, etc. if you want to be out of the bus during the ferry transit. It was BRISK, to put it mildly. primarily due to chill factor due to the movement of the ferry. We wore turtleneck shirts, followed by zip-up polar fleece sweatshirts and hooded windbreakers, with gloves/earmuffs while outside during the transit.

Once we were on the island, it was much more temperate and we did not have much of a breeze. We were able to shed the gloves/earmuffs and unzip the windbreakers and even remove them for a while, but we were blessed with a fairly sunny day.

After the transit back from the island, the bus took us to downtown Punta Arenas for a short walking tour and then we were given the option to remain in town and return to the ship via taxi or return to the ship on the bus. It was very mild in town, off the water. In Punta Arenas proper, we were comfortable with just the sweatshirt on and no windbreaker.

I think layering is a good concept to use to cope with the differing temperature/wind conditions. Down in Punta Arenas, while it is their summer, they are like Alaska or Canada is in summer-it is cooler than what most of us experience during summer. in the continental US, due to their proximity to the Antarctic but not freezing. I hope this helps a bit.

I think the idea here is the old Girl Scout motto-Be Prepared.

Check the weather outside when you arrive in port. If cold, wear everything in your suitcase!!:eek:

Grandam-thanks for the great description of where the penguins are-you've helped alot!

Bill S.-as always you help!!!!

Two weeks from today-sailing Pacific Ocean-headed for Puerto Montt!!!:D

One other thing. You may want to check with your cruiseline about the ferry. Some have reported that the bus drove onto the ferry. I believe that arrangement is mostly on the HAL cruises. Celebrity and Princess mostly use a ferry without the bus. There is an indoor seating area, with hot chocolate and other snacks and gift items for sale, native live music, a short information program, a small outside aft deck, and the top deck, where you can wander around. AFAIK, both ferries are owned by the same company, so I believe it is up to the cruiseline to pick. I would not have liked the bus arrangement. And it certainly makes more business sense for the ferry company to use the indoor seating arrangement, with no bus. The ferry would be heavier with the bus, hence more fuel. And I know the ferry I was on sold a LOT of hot chocolate and gift items. Someone posted this link and it is truly an accurate representation of our tour. http://www.interpatagonia.com/paseos/islamagdalena_pinguinos/index_i.html

It was not very cold in Puenta Arenas proper. And the wind wasn't too bad. But the wind on the island was ferocious, even though it was a beautiful, sunny day.

Another excursion that we really enjoyed-trip to Valdes penisula in Puerto Madryn. Don't know if your ship ports there, but it is one of the few places in the world to see elephant seals. They are absolutely huge and you can get within 100 yds of them. Saw lots of other wildlife. Guanaaca (sp?), vicuna, etc. The bus ride was pretty long, about 2 hours, on a somewhat bumpy, hard packed dirt road. Not many people took this tour. But those of us that did saw something that few people see. Enjoy!!!

Archived