Cloth or Paper Laundry Bag

Normal laundry bags are often plastic.

The $20 for a bag special have always been paper. And, it is very easy to tear them. We patched one up using the airline baggage tags still on our bags. They peal off and still stick pretty good. By the way, on another cruise we used them to cover the speakers in our room. They were so very loud and that CD apparently thought it was very important to raise you butt out of bed to announce the latest JACKKK-POT BEEENGOooooo! (spelling to indicate Aussie accent)

Not duck/duct tape, but sure close enough in a pinch.

Only laundry bags I was on the Jewel (10/08) were paper. They do tear, but I happened to have masking tape with me, taped it up, and it went out of the room. You can stuff a lot of stuff in those bags, though, if you take care to fold the clothes up tight, and fill in with small stuff!

Only laundry bags I was on the Jewel (10/08) were paper. They do tear, but I happened to have masking tape with me, taped it up, and it went out of the room. You can stuff a lot of stuff in those bags, though, if you take care to fold the clothes up tight, and fill in with small stuff!

As I've mentioned in another thread, when we had the $20 special on the Pearl, a couple of our friends managed to get more than 40 items in that paper bag. One of our friends was a retired navy man, so he had professional training, though. :rolleyes:

We folded, rolled and stuffed the bag making sure that it didn't tear.

Clothes came back impeccably and excessively creased and shrunk.

Complaint was courteously dealt with by house-keeping manager....shirts were ironed and returned the next day ......but there was nothing you can do with XL mens' cotton underwear that comes back XS (except trying to sing soprano).

Wouldn't give any cotton items to be laundered in the 'I'm on Vacation... I refuse to do laundry' special ever again.

I do admit that they advertise 'wash and fold' and not 'wash and iron' but how anyone could make things so un-wearable, I don't know. Unbuttoned and folded = disaster.

The regular laundry service was excellent. I asked for dress shirts to be left on hanger and service was quick and efficient. Slacks were also treated great. The prices were very fair especially if you do not need express service.

Moral of the story....... take all the duct tape you want but be careful what you put in the bag :)

We folded, rolled and stuffed the bag making sure that it didn't tear.

Clothes came back impeccably and excessively creased and shrunk.

Complaint was courteously dealt with by house-keeping manager....shirts were ironed and returned the next day ......but there was nothing you can do with XL mens' cotton underwear that comes back XS (except trying to sing soprano).

Wouldn't give any cotton items to be laundered in the 'I'm on Vacation... I refuse to do laundry' special ever again.

I do admit that they advertise 'wash and fold' and not 'wash and iron' but how anyone could make things so un-wearable, I don't know. Unbuttoned and folded = disaster.

The regular laundry service was excellent. I asked for dress shirts to be left on hanger and service was quick and efficient. Slacks were also treated great. The prices were very fair especially if you do not need express service.

Moral of the story....... take all the duct tape you want but be careful what you put in the bag :)

I'm surprised that the cotton clothing came back shrunk!! I didn't know that cotton would shrink! We had no problems with our cotton clothing at all!

On the Jewel, there were two boxes to check on the laundry form -- one for "wash and fold", and one for "wash and iron". The "..iron" option cost $5 more ($20 for "fold", $25 for "iron") and well worth it. Everything came back pressed .. even underwear! :)...and shirts, blouses, pants, all on hangers.

Bandt, your experience is enough to make me consider smuggling an iron on board. In fact we'll have an iron for our extended stay in Spain after our cruise. I suppose I could diet to fit into newly shrunk undies BUT it would be difficult while on a cruise.

Uppity Cats, I appreciate the heads up on the $5.00 pressing charge. Sure hope they have this option on the Jade.

Upon reflection, isn't it crazy that we're all fussing about laundry instead of the sites to be seen and the places to explore! I confess to starting this thread!

Hi New Beginner......yep I think that the 'D' word is a must, not only for the undies but probably for my jacket for New Year as well. Thanks for your good humour !

Now forget the laundry and start checking out the excursions. Have a great cruise.

P.S. Met some fantastic Canadian folk from Montreal on our last cruise. My Mum lives in Perth, Ontario. Would you be on the Jade in December?

Uppitycats.

My comment was only from first hand experience spiced with a little humour.

The Gem/Jade "laundry special" (Western Med in July and Eastern Med in September) did not have an option for 'wash and iron' otherwise I would have taken it..... (I'll check with my bank manager but I'm sure I can afford 5$ extra) It was just 'wash and fold' proposed in the middle of the cruise - great for taking a suitcase full of clean stuff back home - but not for trying to wear it for the rest of the cruise.

And, yes, 100% cotton does shrink in a dryer at high (folks, do not try this at home !!! )

Have a great next cruise

Bandt, by coincidence a visiting member from Calgary at exercise today asked whether Perth was worth a day visit from Ottawa. I gave her a sound sales pitch about a more authentic rural Ontario town. She'd done Merrickville last year and was impressed BUT it's become tacky tourist in my view point.

We're on the Jan. 16th Barcelona sailing of the Jade and then staying on in Spain afterwards.

Uppitycats, guess I was too dense to pick up on your $5.00 'cheap shot' humour. Darn -- and I was really convinced there was a bargain to be had on an NCL ship, but I guess I'll have to simply 'press' on.

We were planning on using the "laundry bag special" on our Star b2b in April. Is there any way to "request" medium on the dryer -- or is it only high? I know, a ridiculous question -- but most of our shirts/tops and shorts/jeans are cotton blends -- and I would HATE for the clothes to be too small the 2nd part of our cruise. We were hoping to only bring 2 suitcases, but I guess we'll just have to bring 3 -- so I can look at the $50 charge for the 3rd suitcase ($25 each way) as an EXTRA LARGE LAUNDRY BAG!!

We were planning on using the "laundry bag special" on our Star b2b in April. Is there any way to "request" medium on the dryer -- or is it only high? I know, a ridiculous question -- but most of our shirts/tops and shorts/jeans are cotton blends -- and I would HATE for the clothes to be too small the 2nd part of our cruise.

As far as requesting medium heat, probably not possible on the "cram it in special." :p Personally, I wouldn't risk my clothes going through commercial washers and dryers. Could very well be just fine, but I still wouldn't do it.

I did a back to back with one large suitcase plus a carryon and was able to fit in plenty of clothes for the 2 weeks. I'm a notorious overpacker and even had things I never wore.

We plan to use the laundry bag on our upcoming NCL cruise.

• Are the laundry bags cloth or paper?

Perhaps I just imagine it but I believe I can stuff more into a HAL cotton bag than I could into an equilivant sized paper ones.

• If they're paper, has anyone torn them?

Paper, but you would be surprised how much that little bag can hold???

Bandt, by coincidence a visiting member from Calgary at exercise today asked whether Perth was worth a day visit from Ottawa. I gave her a sound sales pitch about a more authentic rural Ontario town. She'd done Merrickville last year and was impressed BUT it's become tacky tourist in my view point.

We're on the Jan. 16th Barcelona sailing of the Jade and then staying on in Spain afterwards.

Uppitycats, guess I was too dense to pick up on your $5.00 'cheap shot' humour. Darn -- and I was really convinced there was a bargain to be had on an NCL ship, but I guess I'll have to simply 'press' on.

I'm perplexed. Wasn't meant as a "cheap shot". Just meant to be informative. I was CLEAR that the ship I was on was the Jewel..maybe that option is only available on the Jewel, so I NOTED that.

And again, I've done laundry for a lot of years...and never knew that 100% cotton would shrink. Hasn't happened to me, even on "high" heat. Guess I've been lucky.

Can I bring my own laundry bag (cloth) or do I have to use the one Provided on the Pearl??? Since I am new to this cruising thing I have no Idea......LOL:p:p

Sue

Easton, PA

You have to use the bag provided by the cruise ship.

They don't want someone expecting the laundry special with one of these EXTRA LARGE bags that hold 45-50 lbs. of clothing. :eek: :p :D

yhst-34606345476672_2025_792602

Archived