Shore excursions (RCCL) - W. Carib - help needed

les888lie

Going on Mariner of the Seas on 1/02/05 and need some help with RCCL shore excursions. We are stopping in Labadee, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozumel. Does anyone have experience on any RCCL shore excursion at these islands. We are very interested in snorkeling. THANKS.

i would suggest doing your own thing on this itenarary. You dont need to book anything through the cruise line. Best places to snorkel on this is the Grand Caymens and Cozumel. In Labadee consider it a beach day, not much to look at under the water here. In Ocho Rios, hook up with Pete Taylor and go to Dunns's River Falls if you havent done that already. In Grand Caymens, you can go to any of the beaches for snorkeling, but if you ever wanted to try diving, make a reservation for a resort course with the Padi Dive shop at Eden Rock. Its right there next to George town and is a 5 minute walk from the tender dock. In Cosumel, I would just take a taxi over to Chakanabab (sp?) park. Its 10.00 per person to get in , but has great snorkeling and rather easy access to the reef (most of the time). You can find alot of information on the port of calls forums for everywhere your going. But you can save yourself a bundle by not booking the ships excursions. Dont worry about being late back to the ship, the tour operators reputations and business depend on you getting back to the ship on time with no hassels.

As an exmaple of how much you can save here is what I did last week.

Snorkeling in Belize with ship tour (including lunch) $98.00. Snorkeling in Belize with internet tour operator (including lunch) $59.00. Taking water taxi and hiring local tour operator and buying same lunch as internet tour Operator $40.00

hope this helps

I too am going to the western caribbean on Nos next week. I want to book through the ship. I know it is better to do it on your own but honestly, I will be nervous if I do it outside RCL. I will pay extra..it is worth the piece of mind. I was on a ship one time and people did not make it back from touring and they were in big trouble!!!

Anyway, regardless of the price issue, what are the best RCL tours in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman

Hi, Just got off the Navigator yesterday and we booked all excursions on our own. I was also nervous about doing this, but the ship did not offer everything that we wanted to do.

In Jamaica, we booked with A to Z Jamaica Planners. Georgeen met us at the pier and Mickey was our guide. He was very informative and he told us everything about the Jamaican people and culture. This was a very personal and private tour. It was just the 3 of us and Mickey. We climbed the falls early (no lines and no crowds). Mickey even held our bag for us and followed us on the steps, along side of the falls. He gave us good advice that we would not have known had we gone on our own. We also went to a handmade pottery factory, did some local shopping, went to Fern Gully, and did river tubing last. This was great because once again, no crowds, it was just us and our guide, Rambo, on the river. It was absolutely beautiful and Rambo was also very informative and very personable. Mickey will personalize the tour to whatever you want to do. He dropped us off at Margaritaville where we did a little more shopping. It was a short walk back to the ship. We had plenty of time and even stopped for a drink at the outside bar near the ship. This was the highlight of our vacation!

We did not go to Grand Cayman, but we were booked with the Bucanneer Catamaran through Captain Bryans.

In Cozumel, we booked with Dolphin Discovery for the royal swim. This was also quite an experience and I would highly recommend it. It was easy to get to by taxi from the pier. Dolphin Discovery is in Chankanaab Park which also has a beach, snorkeling, and sea lions.

I would defintely book on our own again.

If you have any other questions, please ask. Joanne

• 2 months later...
In Cozumel, we booked with Dolphin Discovery for the royal swim. This was also quite an experience and I would highly recommend it. It was easy to get to by taxi from the pier. Dolphin Discovery is in Chankanaab Park which also has a beach, snorkeling, and sea lions.

I find the site for this excursion, but they give no clue as to the price. I emailed them, but is there not a site where I can find the price without having to send emails?

Thanks.

Oh, oh. I found it on their package page.

If you enjoy snorkeling, a beach break, and copious amounts of margaritas and/or beer, I highly recommend the fury catamaran in Cozumel.

MGoBlue2 - Guess we'll have to pass on this one. Though we enjoy the latter, the grandchildren are eligible for only the first two. Thanks, though. We'll keep it in mind for another trip. :D

Capt. Marvins showed us a great visit to Stingray City in Grand Caymen. Three stops...and gave all the adults rum cakes at the end of the tour. We emailed them and heard back w/in 2 days. Very efficient.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

In Ocho Rios we went to Dunns Falls but did it thru the ship as they had a boat that took us right to the beach area of the falls. We wanted to avoid going thru the top vendors area as we'd heard how terribly pushy the vendors are. This way, we climbed up the falls, finished, walked back down the beach, swam a little , then hopped back on the boat which took us back to the ship. Had some time then to walk over to Margaritaville! :D

Have a great time!!

Hi, this website is great!!!! Hpw did you find out about these tour groups? Are there others in Grand Cayman besides the 3 you mentioned? I was considering reserving a tour on the Ship but according to what everyone is saying maybe I should reserve a tour on my own? In Belize I was considering not doing anything, a friend of mine was stationed there and told me some horror stories about the Country. Grand Cayman is high on our list and want to see the stingrays. Cozumel is also confusing, is booking on your own trusted? How can I be assured that these tours are as good as my ship's tours? Any help is appreciated!!!

Uk Mike -

We have booked a tour with http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com for a tour of Dunn's River Falls and an Island tour. He will do anything that you would like to do while in Jamaica. And the price is reasonable $25/pp. He has great reviews.

Don't miss Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. We have booked thru Nativeway Tours for that and I think it is something like $35/pp. They also have great reviews.

In Cozumel we are going to Paradise Beach for the day. It's free entry with use of chairs, umbrellas, and a $5 charge to use their non-motorized water toys. They also have bars and restaurants.

I booked all my tours through the ship last year and 3 out of the 4 of them were cancelled due to one thing or another. Never again! Plus, booking on your own is way cheaper!

Please feel free to email me at rochek1999@yahoo.com for further info. I'd be happy to help!

Kim

Hi UK Mike,

we did all tours by booking ourselves. All the info I fund right here. If you scroll down the page, there is "Forum Jump" box, click on the arrow and drop menue will come. Scroll down to let say "Cozumel" and click on it. When that thread will come, on the right hand side, near the top, you can click on "Search this Thread" box, and when it will open, you can type in anything ("snorkeling"). Hit "Enter" and all the info will come up for you to read. FYI: in Ocho Rios we went with Orville Taylor. His nephew was our driver/guide for entire day. It was only our family (4), and we had a specific intinarary that we wanted to see (Bob Marley's birthplace in 9 Mile -> 1hr drive, Fern Guly, Dunn's River Falls, and some shopping). He picked us up from the pier (employees of all companies are standing there with signs), and droped us back same place. We were always checking time, but there was plenty of it to accomplish everything. In Grand Cayman we booked with Soto's Cruises ($30.00 pp cash or T.CH.) for Sting Ray City and snorkeling tour (2.5 hr). There were 16 people on the boat, including us, and we had 2 guides + photographer. This trip is a must as stingrays are so cool to be around, and snorkeling reef had great fish. In Cozumel we did not do anything (we were here a year ago, and we did all "touristy" stuff at that time) except going to the beach (Nachi Cocun, $13.00 for 4 people taxi ride from the pier, about 10-15 min). There are beaches closer (cheaper taxi cost), but they are much more crowded.

Almost all tour companies, and even beaches have now internet addresses. Well worh searching as it will save yu a lot of $$$. Have fun, and if you have any more questions, please ask,

Dorota.

the description of the "beach getaway" ocho rios was definitely written by someone in a madison ave. ad agency. it is 115.00 per person...but sounded amazing. so in december my family of 4 did it. read the description and here's the reality....

the "blundel house" looked as though it was abandoned for the last 30 years until 5 minutes before we arrived. the only furniture in the living room was lawn furniture that had black mold on it. the "private beach" was so full of seaweed there wasn't anyplace to sit plus there were many "locals" waiting to pounce on us to sell anything!!!! it promised lunch.....if you saw what the grill looked like you wouldn't eat anything from it either. needless to say, 15 minutes after we arrived we asked to be brought back to the boat where we immediately recorded our displeasure......rc gave us a partial refund which we appreciated.

Hi, this website is great!!!! Hpw did you find out about these tour groups? Are there others in Grand Cayman besides the 3 you mentioned? I was considering reserving a tour on the Ship but according to what everyone is saying maybe I should reserve a tour on my own? In Belize I was considering not doing anything, a friend of mine was stationed there and told me some horror stories about the Country. Grand Cayman is high on our list and want to see the stingrays. Cozumel is also confusing, is booking on your own trusted? How can I be assured that these tours are as good as my ship's tours? Any help is appreciated!!!

I have heard that Belize has some of the top diving/snorkeling in the world. There is also the Cave Tubing that everyone raves about. I would not stay on the ship there. Take a tour and you will be fine. Check the Belize board for recommendations. We are doing the shark/ray tour w/ Coral Breezes.

Is booking on your own trusted? Do your homework and be sure to book early in the day so that you have extra time to do shopping on your way back to the ship. Some would rather book with the ship, but that is what we do, especially in a port like Cozumel when we are there till 11 at night.

Mike, I have compiled a list of the websites for the excursions in GC that have been recommended on these boards. I have them divided by sail v. powerboat. Hope this helps.

Michelle

Sailboats:

Buccaneer: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Excursion.htm

Captain Bryan’s: http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityCaptBryans.htm

Motorized:

Captain Marvin’s: http://www.captainmarvins.com

Nativeway: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html

Sotos: http://www.sotoscruises.com

Kelly’s Watersports http://www.kellyswatersports.com

Archived