Best RCI ship for family with kids? (thinking freedom class?)

It's been too long, ready for another RCI cruise, our lives and the ships offered have changed since our last RCI cruise (10 yrs ago - pre kids - pre freedom class ships).

I saw the freedom class line of ships with their h20 zone, rock wall, ice rinks, mini golf etc looks like alot of fun. Thinking of hitting a 7-10 day trip in the early part of 09 with wife myself and our 8 yr old daughter, destination not important we will have the most fun on the ship i think...

The Oasis of the seas ship looks awesome too but that maybe more for me and wife (didnt look as kid fun), but i think for us as a family with our 8 yr old the "freedom class" of ships would be our best bet.

Of the 3 freedom ships are there any pros or cons of one vs another or are they all 3 very similar with just itinerary differences?

Bill :)

Wish I could help on the Freedom class but going on our first one in December - Independence of the Seas.

From what I have seen about the Oasis, there is going to be an awesome "Youth Zone"; the video clip is on the RCI website under the Oasis button. There will be a theatre, science lab, Crayola workshop, etc. We have a 6 year old grandson and 9 year old granddaughter and after hearing about and seeing the concepts for the youth zone we are excited about planning a cruise on the Oasis with them.

Kathy:)

While the Freedom class ships are awesome, the Voyager class ships are nearly equal to them, minus a couple of amenities, but still plenty of activity to keep an 8 year old happily entertained, as well as the rest of the family. It's been our experience that there is a significant price difference between the two classes, and therefore, we've continued with Voyager class ships over the past 7 years. Our children were 8 and 10 when we started, and they are now 15 and 17, and they have consistently enjoyed every Voyager class ship we've taken.

We've cruised Voyager class and Freedom class and our kids love both. You are right that within each class each ship is very similar for the most part. The biggest difference my kids have seen is freshwater (Freedom) pools versus saltwater (Voyager) and the Flo Rider (Freedom). My DD was 8 last year and not tall enough for the Flo Rider so that may be a non-issue for you (can't remember the height limit).

We started RCCL cruising in 2005 when the kids were 6 and 7 (turned 8 on cruise) and they are still loving it at 9 and 10 (turned 11 on the way home!).

We have taken our kids (ages 5,8,10,12,13) on the Voyager and Freedom class ships and they had a great time on both, but if you asked them they would probably say they liked the freedom class best - they were really glad about the freshwater pools and the H2O Zone was big with the younger ones.

All 3 of the freedom class ships are the same, so it's basically itinerary that you will be choosing from. Liberty sails from Miami and the Freedom is moving up to Port Canaveral in May, so you will want to take that into consideration. The Independence, I think sails some Miami, but also European itineraries, I'm not too familiar with that one.

Thanks for the input here, destination isnt important, ill certainly look thru the voyager offerings (sure the ships will have lots for her to do) but reading about the fresh water pool vs salt water pool features that might lean me heavy to the freedom class, is oasis fresh water too?

It did look neat and new but almost seemed like the freedom class had more to offer for "kids".

Bill

Thanks for the input here, destination isnt important, ill certainly look thru the voyager offerings (sure the ships will have lots for her to do) but reading about the fresh water pool vs salt water pool features that might lean me heavy to the freedom class, is oasis fresh water too?

It did look neat and new but almost seemed like the freedom class had more to offer for "kids".

Bill

Yes Freedom Class and Oasis class is fresh water. Independence pools are heated.

From someone with kids who love the Freedom class, I can tell you there will be MORE to do on Oasis for kids than on Freedom. The Oasis will have slides in the H20 zone. The Oasis has a zero entry beach pool. Oasis has the carousel and boardwalk with the shops geared toward kid friendly things.

Oasis will also have the separate kid theatre for the Broadway Theatre Camp and the separate science lab, not on Freedom class. The Youth Zone will also have the first RCCL nursery. :)

You might want to look again at Oasis :D

I cruise with my children, currently ages 8 and 9. They ASKED me to cancel our upcoming Disney cruise and book a RCL Freedom class ship for Spring Break, because they felt it offered them more to do!

We chose the Independence for a few reasons, including heated fresh water pools, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale (closer drive for me) and an 8-night itinerary during the week we can travel, giving us an extra day.

I think any of the Freedom or Voyager class ships would be great (heck - any cruise is better than staying home) but the variety of on-board activities for my very active kids sold us on the Freedom class, specifically the Independence.

I cruise with my children, currently ages 8 and 9. They ASKED me to cancel our upcoming Disney cruise and book a RCL Freedom class ship for Spring Break, because they felt it offered them more to do!

Or as my 8 year old said on our Disney Wonder cruise when asked "What's your favorite cruise?" she answered "Do I HAVE to say Disney? If not then FREEDOM" :D

That's my girl! lol :p

Archived