Shoe News

Jane110

Just read in the trades that the denim line, Seven for all Mankind is debuting a line of shoes this spring. Their feeling is that for a great jean look, the right shoe is very important and there aren't enough of the right style around to complement the high end denim looks.

The shoe license was given to Schwartz and Benjamin - one of my personal favorite shoe companies. The also hold the license and make shoes for Juicy Couture, Kate Spade, DVF and Michael Kors.

The Seven shoes will run between $150 - $350 retail and will debut this spring exclusively at company stores with only 5 styles. In the fall, they'll roll out to department stores and specialty stores. Styles planned are classic ballet flats, gladiator sandals, wooden wedges and stacked platforms.

Blue Herons, I thoought of you when I read about this. :)

I don't have such a doom and gloom attitude. And $150 - $350 is about average price for an upscale line of shoes, and much less than Choo, Manolo, Louboutin, Fendi and Chanel which are in the $400 - $600 range. Maybe if the dollar gains in strength and the euro weakens, perhaps they'll even be a little less? I'm guessing that they're being made in Italy or Spain.

Well licenses are put into place about a year ahead of time, and with the financial obligations already in place, it makes sense to go forward. Besides, if stores want to stay in business they have to bring in new merchandise. If there's nothing to sell, then there's no business to be had.

I'm sure that the number of pairs produced was cut way back from the initial projections.

And we can all cross our fingers that come spring, with our new President promising to fix things, that things will be a little better by then.

Not being gloom and doom, just realistic. The market for shoes retailing over $150 is tiny -- a huge percentage of women's footwear is sold at places like Payless, WalMart, and Kohl's.

I don't really think that there is a shortage of shoes to choose from, especially ones that can be worn with jeans, jmho.

:eek:YIKES:eek:

Hey, Payless makes really good shoes........and they have frequent sales.

I'd never, ever pay over about 40.00 for a pair of shoes.....nor more than 30.00 for a pair of jeans.

But, then, I've never been a fashionista and don't think wearing a label on my butt or my shoe would make me any smarter......HA!!

Even my daughter, the clothes horse, limits her shoes to 50.00.

Can anyone explain why you'd pay over 100.00 for a pair of shoes? Not being a smart aleck....just curious.....that's all. Same for the jeans....I get the "designer" thingie that many seem to need but, what would be other reasons...?

Everyone has their own reasons for buying and spending what they do on clothing. Those reasons may not make sense to anyone else but it's their choice.;)

I don't buy the super high end clothing, but neither do I buy things at Walmart, Target or Payless. I buy what fits my lifestyle, and or budget and don't question anyone else's preferred place to shop or price point on the things they do buy.:)

Happy shopping to all no matter WHERE you do it or HOW much you spend.:D

Everyone has their own reasons for buying and spending what they do on clothing. Those reasons may not make sense to anyone else but it's their choice.;)

I don't buy the super high end clothing, but neither do I buy things at Walmart, Target or Payless. I buy what fits my lifestyle, and or budget and don't question anyone else's preferred place to shop or price point on the things they do buy.:)

Happy shopping to all no matter WHERE you do it or HOW much you spend.:D

Exactly. Very well said.

Just read in the trades that the denim line, Seven for all Mankind is debuting a line of shoes this spring. Their feeling is that for a great jean look, the right shoe is very important and there aren't enough of the right style around to complement the high end denim looks.

The shoe license was given to Schwartz and Benjamin - one of my personal favorite shoe companies. The also hold the license and make shoes for Juicy Couture, Kate Spade, DVF and Michael Kors.

The Seven shoes will run between $150 - $350 retail and will debut this spring exclusively at company stores with only 5 styles. In the fall, they'll roll out to department stores and specialty stores. Styles planned are classic ballet flats, gladiator sandals, wooden wedges and stacked platforms.

Blue Herons, I thoought of you when I read about this. :)

I think it is great news!

BTW, my Brazilian boots were very very comfortable! We probably walked ten miles per day. Here is the link:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2983601?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=shoes:women:boots&cm_ite=corso_como_'sadie'_boot:228856&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=CCF6B99F-EEAC-DD11-B7E2-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

I agree a great pair of jeans needs a great pair of shoes!

Hey' date=' Payless makes really good shoes........and they have frequent sales.

I'd never, ever pay over about 40.00 for a pair of shoes.....nor more than 30.00 for a pair of jeans.

But, then, I've never been a fashionista and don't think wearing a label on my butt or my shoe would make me any smarter......HA!!

Can anyone explain why you'd pay over 100.00 for a pair of shoes? Not being a smart aleck....just curious.....that's all. Same for the jeans....I get the "designer" thingie that many seem to need but, what would be other reasons...?[/quote']

Here are some reasons I've discovered:

1) The shoes are much better made from the start (the "last" from which the shoe is patterned) to the literal finishing. They tend to fit your foot better and are generally more supportive.

2) I have difficult feet. Most of the cheaper shoes are not made of leather but of man-made materials that don't let my foot breathe.

3) They tend to last longer -- may not be important to everyone, but I hate finding a great pair of shoes that meet all my needs and then have them fall apart after a few wearings. I tend not to buy the "trendiest" shoes but stick to more classic styles that aren't going to go out of style in a year.

I'm sure there are other reasons.....

Hey' date=' Payless makes really good shoes........and they have frequent sales.

Can anyone explain why you'd pay over 100.00 for a pair of shoes? Not being a smart aleck....just curious.....that's all. Same for the jeans....I get the "designer" thingie that many seem to need but, what would be other reasons...?[/quote']

Good shoes last a long time and stay in style.

I have a pair of black suede Manolo pumps that I bought for either $385 or $415 back in the mid 1990s. I still wear them and they are in great shape. In fact, I have many shoes that are 10 years old that I wear quite often.

Cheap shoes hurt my feet.

BTW, good shoes can be bought on sale. Limiting yourself to shoes that are only $30 is kind of silly.

I wear a 6.5 3A, and if I am lucky a 7 2A, and no manufacturer/designer makes shoes that size any more. Stuart Weitzman has a few styles, and Vaneli has a few styles. I would probably fall dead if I could find a pair of shoes (not sports shoes) under $100. I have shoes that are probably 10-15 years old simply b/c every year fewer and fewer designers make shoes in this size. And my feet are NOT going to get wider/bigger - it's an inherited trait, and aside from that, I am well over 60 and I refuse to wear "old lady" shoes as long as I can still walk in something more stylish. But I did give up on heels higher than 2 3/4" b/c I have broken both feet, but not while wearing "fashionable shoes". Tennis has a tendency to be hard on the feet.

I hope they make the shoes better fitting than the jeans! I'm a 4 or 6 and have not been able to find a pair of their jeans that even fits me, let alone looks good on me.

I thought I explained that this was a licensing deal, and so the jean company will not be involved with any production. They will give color and style direction to the shoe designers.

The fit of the shoes will have nothing to do with the fit of the jeans.

I pay well over $100. for shoes because I will only wear high quality products. My shoes are made in Europe with primo leather, sewn together correctly with high quality materials, and the fit is worked on over and over again until it's right. There's much attention paid to pairing the perfect heel height with the last of the shoe, and there aren't shortcuts taken in production that perhaps the masses don't notice, but people with a keen eye for detail and quality do.

Your daughter being a clothes horse is more concerned with quantity than quality, so it follows form that she wouldn't buy expensive shoes.

I wear a 6.5 3A, and if I am lucky a 7 2A, and no manufacturer/designer makes shoes that size any more. Stuart Weitzman has a few styles, and Vaneli has a few styles. I would probably fall dead if I could find a pair of shoes (not sports shoes) under $100. I have shoes that are probably 10-15 years old simply b/c every year fewer and fewer designers make shoes in this size. And my feet are NOT going to get wider/bigger - it's an inherited trait, and aside from that, I am well over 60 and I refuse to wear "old lady" shoes as long as I can still walk in something more stylish. But I did give up on heels higher than 2 3/4" b/c I have broken both feet, but not while wearing "fashionable shoes". Tennis has a tendency to be hard on the feet.

Ferragamo has pre-season trunk shows where you can special order any size and width on any style that they'll be making and they'll make a pair for you with a customized size.

This seems like a very bad time to be bringing out a new line of shoes in the $150-$350 price range!

Each of us chooses our spending priorities - for most of us there are some things we will continue to buy even when times are tough, even if it means scrimping in other areas. For me, high end jeans and shoes are not a priority. But for those for whom it is, this will be a welcome addition to their fashion options.

Happy shopping, whatever your price range!:)

Believe me, I would LOVE to have more ladies out there who don't mind paying several hundred dollars for a pair of shoes -- my husband has been in the wholesale shoe business for over 30 years!

I buy what I like, but I know that more expensive doesn't always mean better fit, higher quality materials, manufacturing in Italy vs. China, etc. And a significant part of the price is the licensing fee paid to use a brand like "Seven".

Many high end designers are adding shoes and other accessory lines precisely because of the economic downturn. Maybe their traditional buyers don't want to spend $5000 on a dress, but will spend $300 for a pair of shoes, sunglasses, or a scarf.

Here's an interesting blog piece on the topic: http://fashionista.com/2008/11/will_accessories_make_you_stic.php

Marc Jacobs doing swimwear, See by Chloe, Ohne Titel & Proenza Schouler and more doing shoes.....

Thanks for the Ferragamo tip, but I can't wear the Ferragamo last any more. At one time those were the only shoes I wore, and then the last changed to a very uncomfortable fit. And aside from that, I am, alas, now out of the "made to fit" income bracket.

The good news is that I buy only classic style shoes (not fad) and so all the shoes I have in my closet (think Imelda:eek:) are almost always in style. I did buy a couple of Vaneli evening shoes this fall, though, as my evening shoes had 3" heels and the foot just won't go that high any more. I suggest you ladies do NOT break you foot or ankle as eventually it does catch up with you in the shoe department.:p

Can anyone explain why you'd pay over 100.00 for a pair of shoes? Not being a smart aleck....just curious.....that's all. Same for the jeans....I get the "designer" thingie that many seem to need but' date=' what would be other reasons...?[/quote']

Well, some shoes are worth every penny they cost. My dansko clogs that I wear to work cost between $105-110.00...and feel wonderful. I've had cheap shoes and pricier shoes (though none above those Dansko's) and there really can be a difference. When I buy, I try to buy quality rather than just a label or just going cheap. I also don't tend to buy short lived fashion styles. When my feet hurt from poorly made or fitting shoes, I'm not happy. Some things *are* worth paying more for when you're getting more.

Believe me, I would LOVE to have more ladies out there who don't mind paying several hundred dollars for a pair of shoes -- my husband has been in the wholesale shoe business for over 30 years!

I buy what I like, but I know that more expensive doesn't always mean better fit, higher quality materials, manufacturing in Italy vs. China, etc. And a significant part of the price is the licensing fee paid to use a brand like "Seven".

If you can't see, feel or notice the difference in fit, style/detail, comfort or quality between a shoe made in China with plastic soles, inferior leather uppers and inexpensive construction, then you really shouldn't pay more. For you, it would be money wasted.

The licensing fee paid to the licensor (ie Seven) typically ranges from 6% - 8% of the wholesale price of the item. (I used to be a licensing agent) So on a shoe that costs $350. retail, which is typically about $165 wholesale, that "significant" licensing fee is about $10. - $13 per pair.

I think it is great news!

BTW, my Brazilian boots were very very comfortable! We probably walked ten miles per day. Here is the link:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2983601?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=shoes:women:boots&cm_ite=corso_como_'sadie'_boot:228856&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=CCF6B99F-EEAC-DD11-B7E2-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

I agree a great pair of jeans needs a great pair of shoes!

Well yeah, if they can't make a good high quality, comfortable riding boot in Brazil (or Argentina) home of the wealthiest polo players in the universe, they should hang their heads in shame! :D

GREAT looking boots!

Many high end designers are adding shoes and other accessory lines precisely because of the economic downturn. Maybe their traditional buyers don't want to spend $5000 on a dress, but will spend $300 for a pair of shoes, sunglasses, or a scarf.

Here's an interesting blog piece on the topic: http://fashionista.com/2008/11/will_accessories_make_you_stic.php

Marc Jacobs doing swimwear, See by Chloe, Ohne Titel & Proenza Schouler and more doing shoes.....

And Chanel licensed her name on a perfume, called Chanel Number 5, in 1922 in order to gain more customers because she knew that not everyone could afford her clothes. :D

I used to be in apparel licensing, and had clients like Carolina Herrera as well as jean companies, and I know the in's and out's out it very well. Some licenses are silly, some are simply done for a quick buck, and some are legitimate extensions of the line because a licensee can do it better than the licensor (the name).

Very few people will buy a product because of the name, however, it will attract people to look at it. Then they'll buy or not buy.

People here on this board will say things all the time, like "I bought Calvin Klein shoes", or "I bought a Michael Kors handbag". These give a positive image, but none of those are made my Klein or Kors. They make clothes, they don't know how to make shoes and handbags.

I'm sure if the retail climate were better Chico's would be licensing their name to shoes and handbag companies and many of the women here would go crazy with delight. Reason is, it creates an image and extends the product offerings. If for example a Chico's shoe licensee came out with 5" stiletto heels, I think the Chico's core customer would agree that it doesn't fit the image. So a license has to be seamless. Sometimes a license is so successful and so seamless that the company is bought and then infact does become "in house" and no longer a license.

Archived