Day 5/6 Mariner Oct 31

callajl

St Maarten day- DH woke me up at 8 ready to go ashore. We have docked at all 3 ports. Once we got up and around- we hopped on the water taxi ($5 each) and got off at the 2nd stop in town. We did some serious shopping (found some good fake LV, Gucci, Coach bags) and much much more! My poor DH wished he would have left me on the ship. We didn't do any tours since this was our 6th trip to St Thomas & St Maarten. Take my word for it though, do island tour on St Thomas and leave the shopping to St Maarten. St Thomas is truly beautiful and more expensive. St Maarten on the other hand is a poor island with no industry except tourism. They want your business and will deal with you. The island itself is littered and just not renourished. Once back on the ship, we made our way to Windjammer which is the our place open to eat on port days. Not the best meal but you can't go wrong with a burger! After that we made our way to the yogurt machines! Dinner was Italian night (not my fave food) but I have to say, one of the best meals so far! Chicken marsala, shrimp scampi, a lamb dish, roasted garlic soup, minestrone soup, feta salad, scallop appetizer and for dessert- taramisu, chocolate cake, custard of some kind. Not one bad meal at our table for 9! Also- there are tables for 2 available. The dining staff sang Ol Solo Me O(sorry about the butchering!) which was so fitting. It was a very nice evening. Afterwards- we headed down to the Savoy to see Glenn Smith. The Savoy isn't near as nice as Disney's theatre but we enjoyed the show. Afterwards- back to the cabin. We found a hanging towel bat waiting on us and our pre-paid gratuity slips:( Time is drawing near. The service and food we have experienced on the Mariner has been excellent. The service is above Disney (except 1st cruise) and the food is at least same level as Disney. The only thing missing is the nice shrimp at the buffet! Also- I do miss High Tea and the brunch at Palo! Tomorrow is a sea day, 2nd formal night and the ice show. Because we went to Atlantis in the am on Monday, we couldn't get tickets for Wed night ice show. We go at 5 which means we have to dress before but that is ok. I think we act and feel better when we dress up! I also finished Skinny Dip today and enjoyed it. There is a great library on deck 7 midship (much better than Disney's) that I will be visiting tomorrow to get a new book. Until tomorrow.....

Having fun reading your reports! My parents and group of friends are on the cruise with you. My husband and I are on the 11/28 sailing. I was also going to look for a nice "fake" LV or Prada purse. Do you mind if I ask how much they were selling for? I had found a Prada in St. Thomas a few years ago in the main town area (the open air market). I was planning to go back there, but wondering now if I should wait for St. Martin.

Thanks for the posts!

One thing to note from our September Mariner cruise:

The ice skating show did not always fill up. Even if you don't have tickets they will let you in right at the start of the show. I know people that skipped it because they didn't wait in line to get tix and our show was only 3/4 full.

Varies by cruise I know but just some extra information. Enjoy the thread very much. Thx!

Good morning, good morning, good morning- that is Captain Johnny's favorite line! Just add the accent:D Anyway- I am going to start trying to wind down and answer any questions that I can think of that I had before we cruised on RCI. The balcony on our JS aft 7392 is about 8 x 12. It has 2 chairs, a small table, and 2 reclining chairs. You can't open the balcony dividers- on one side is metal and the other side is a divider but there is no way to open it because of the steel beams. Also- there is no need for a bungee cord because the sliders stay put. You can't really lay out there to get sun since it is a covered balcony but you can at a few times during the day. It is an obstucted view but not obstructed where it is unpleasant. It is the steel infastructure at the back of the ship. Now- there is movement but there is movement everywhere on the ship! It is extremely windy this week- up to 57 MPH winds. The weather is beautiful though- couldn't be better.

The room: The walk-in closet isn't really a walk-in! It is a step-in without clothing hanging but there is plenty of room. There are shelves at the back of the closet and plenty of hangers. No need for a hanging bag for shoes or anything. The bathroom is a nice size. There is again plenty of storage- 2 side mirror shelves and a shelf under the counter. There is only a shaver outlet so I used the vanity area to put on make-up and dry hair. The hair dryer is in the vanity outside the bathroom in the top right drawer. The tub is a regular size tub/shower BUT it has a shower curtain. There is also a couple of trays for soap, razors, shampoo & conditioner. They have a shampoo dispenser in the shower hanging on the wall but the shampoo is low quality. I would recommend bringing travel size shampoo & conditioner.

The vanity area has a ton of storage- a long wall shelf w/ door- 5 deep shelves- then 3 drawers + the same hairdryer drawer on both sides of the vanity. The mirror/lights have 2 sides that open with 4 small shelves as well. I kept all my make-up/ hair products in 2 of these side drawers. I did bring a power strip because I have the computer and various chargers but there are 2 power outlets in this area. Above the tv is more storage- 3 nice deep shelves and then the little refridgerator/cooler under the tv. They removed the stuff from it at my request the 1st day.

Under the beds are plenty of room and a little tray for suit cases. The bed is a very comfortable king size with plenty of pillows. My DD-13 slept on the couch and it makes into a comfortable double bed. I know since I slept with her one night she wasn't feeling well. There is also a comfy chair/ottoman in the other corner along with a nice little bar area on the wall. Roomy and relaxing. The color scheme is greenish blues and very soothing. I love this stateroom and would definately pay to stay in it again. This says a lot since I am tight with the $$! This was the only category for 3 when we booked which is why I did it! This is all for the am- until bedtime....

The only thing missing is the nice shrimp at the buffet! Also- I do miss High Tea and the brunch at Palo!
You should try Celebrity next. You get all those things and more. No comparison to Disney.

Glad you finished Skinny Dip and liked it. Wish we could discuss the ending, but others have not read it, so it wouldn't be fair.

Thanks seaisland lady for not discussing the ending. I have this book as first on my list to read starting day 1 of the cruise in 2 weeks.

callajl....Where did you purchase the purses in St. Maarten? At a shop? (If so name please) Or at the open-air vendors market? Thanks so much for all of the info and especially the dinner menus! Did you find out if the lunch menu really is the same everyday in the dining room? Thanks again!

The lunch menus are the same but they aren't open during port days in the deck 3 dining room. We ate Johnny Rockets at lunch and they charged us $6.90 fee (?) and then $1.50 for a Diet Coke and $3.95 for a shake and then $2.60 gratituty. It was worth it since we had a good time but there was a line. We had 7 in our party and had to split up into 2 tables. Today is the last day of ice skating for some reason. My DD hasn't been able to rock climb yet because either the wind is too much or they are closed! We did play putt putt and had a good time. Also- can't find roller blades- I assume you have to bring your own? There has been no one around the area to ask. Putt Putt is 24 hours a day- the equipment is out all the time. Nice little course. My DD is breaking me in the arcade though- so far $160! I feel that this is because she didn't enjoy the kids programs and so many of the extras are closed or only open a few times a day. She has met with Alex whose mother is a member of CC. Of course- she brought her own $$ and that is what she decided to spend it on. As long as she is happy- doesn't bother me. I have spent more than that in the spa:D

I don't know who the MC is- sorry. I will try and see if Captain Johnny will be here through January but I can't make any promises!

Purses- they were in a little shop right across from the Courthouse (which is as soon as you get off the 2nd stop on the water taxi) in a little yellow building but I also saw them farther down the way (towards the first stop) but I have no idea the name of the shop. They started out at $20- $80. Very nice ones too. I looked for all the telltale signs and they passed the test! We didn't see them in St Thomas but we didn't go past Havensight. We have seen them in the past at the open market but they weren't as good as these and were more expensive. We do not go to PR and have never been there so I can't tell you if they have them there or not.

I am feeling really good about this cruise. We have had fun, relaxed, and just really enjoyed ourselves. My DD does miss Disney but she takes after DH and really doesn't care for change! I think she is just disappointed about the kids program because this ship has everything a person could want. The only real constant negative I have is the ship is too rocky. Now- like I have said before- it is windy and maybe that is what is causing the rocking but we have cruised Disney and never felt anything like this except on 1 cruise when they didn't use the stabelizers to try and make up time due to a passenger having a heart attack. I am glad no one in my family has sea sickness;)

I think this question was asked on my Day 3/4 review but the space between staterooms 7341 & 7337 is a hallway that allows you to pass from one hall to the middle hall. I am not sure why you would need this but it is there! We have about 1 hour before we have to dress and go to the ice show. We decided to come back and nap (DH- while I read on the verandah!) Until bedtime....

The water taxi is from the pier to town. The pier is REALLY long and some prefer to get the excercise and walk it...others like to ride as you can go to two different points. We have done both.

callajl - Sounds like you are having a great time! :)

Also- can't find roller blades- I assume you have to bring your own?
You do not need your own roller blades. Check your Compass for times that the roller path is open and you will have no trouble. Same goes for the rock wall.

Your CD should be Kurt Deitweller....something or other.

Our first Disney cruise was extremely rocky the last day and night as the winds were very strong. Our Mariner cruise was very smooth and we were on the aft also. Just depends on the weather.

Hi!

We're boarding the MOS on Sunday, and I'd like to know which night the lobster was served. I'm hoping it wasn't a formal night as we are skipping that this ttime around.

Thanks!

Sorry to say, but lobster is served on the 2nd formal night. For our recent Eastern Caribbean route that was Friday night.

I am enjoying your reports, thanks for taking the time to share with us! I am wondering who your cruise director is and if you have any idea if the same Captain and Cruise Director will be onboard in 2 weeks(Thanksgiving sailing) Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise...looking forward to your next report!

I posted a great post last night and when I went to submit, I was no longer on line:mad: I guess I have been pretty lucky until then though. Last night we dressed formal before we went to the Ice Show on deck 3. It was really enjoyable as well as beautiful. As soon as this was over, we headed straight to the dining room (Top Hat & Tails- deck4). We arrived to find the menu of our dreams. Appetizers: fruit plate, creme of aspargas, onion soup, mushroom thing-(which I heard was amazing) Entrees: chicken of some sort, prime rib, lobster & shrimp and that was as far as I went. Lobster is my favorite and this did not disappoint. In fact, I had 2:D Desserts: chocolate cake, creme brulee (the best we have eaten so far) and sherbert. There could have been something else but the chefs all came out along with a peppy song to be introduced and appaulded. It was a nice ending to a perfect evening. Afterwards we had a meeting with our group up on deck 14 in Cloud Nine. We decided to retire to the room after this since we wanted to pack some so we could relax on the last day. They have a good special for spa taster $79 for tomorrow. I also have to turn in the computer hook-up so this will be the last post from the ship.:( I truly hope that the people getting on tomorrow have as wonderful of a trip as we have had. I came into this cruise not having any idea what to expect since we had only cruised DCL before.

RCI pros:JS category aft (we had a cat 4 which is a Family stateroom on DCL) and didn't have this much room or storage, much less the balcony size!, the glorious main dining room, activities, shopping aboard, the fabulous interior of the Mariner of the Seas, more photo opportunities and backgrounds

DCL pros: 3 dining rooms to rotate, a different lunch menu in restaurants daily, embarkation process, larger, stateroom size for non-suites

Equal: service (except for our last DCL experience was terrible but I don't feel I can compare until I have done as many RCI as we did DCL before), food- our food this time was excellent which is how DCL normally is until last time!

Needless to say, we have been blessed on this trip and look forward to cruising RCI again. Our next cruise is in March but will be on Carnival Miracle. I will go into that cruise with an open mind just as I did this one:)

I am loving reading this! I'm leaving on 11/14 on MOS w/DH and 2 other couples. Cannot wait. I ordered some champagne/fllowers/strawberry package as well as a surprise for him. Hoping for good weather - cold front rolling through here today. Any suggestions for good snorkel beaches on ST. MARten? We're renting a car for all of us to go exploring there.

I think this question was asked on my Day 3/4 review but the space between staterooms 7341 & 7337 is a hallway that allows you to pass from one hall to the middle hall. I am not sure why you would need this but it is there.

You solved my mystery....thanks so much for checking this out for me. :)

Archived