Gem aft minisuite or front

rcha

Have just returned from cruise on the Gem in a minisuite 11002.

Quiet location and would be happy to have it again but some have suggested the aft cabins, 11150, 11152 or 11656.

Does anyone have experience of these aft cabins and would be happy to suggest what to do?

Thanks for any help

:)

I assume your cabin was in the front -

As to aft cabins, you will find that most people love them and go out of their way to get them. We prefer the side of the ship though. To each their own. And we do not like the very front as their is some up and down movement not found in the middle of the ship.

Besides the great view, and the privacy the one great reason we prefer the aft mini's is the proximity to the buffet. If you want breakfast on the balcony, food is just a hop and one flight of stairs away (and yes you could order room service). May be it's just us? :p

Have just returned from cruise on the Gem in a minisuite 11002.

Quiet location and would be happy to have it again but some have suggested the aft cabins, 11150, 11152 or 11656.

Does anyone have experience of these aft cabins and would be happy to suggest what to do?

We will be taking our 3rd NCL cruise this coming January 2009 (see my signature below). On our first ever cruise, on the Jewel in Jan. 2007, we treated ourselves to an aft romance suite (AD) and loved it. Very roomy suite, great views from the balcony, loved the sound of the wake off the back of the ship as the ship sailed at night, etc. Last winter, Jan. 2008, we sailed the Pearl and ended up with a BA balcony stateroom midship (from a BD guarantee). The room was ok, not as big as the AD suite we had the year before, but knew that in advance, so no complaints about the cabin itself. Not complaining about the location, but IMHO, and I have said this elsewhere on these boards, when you're midship on a balcony and look to your left and look to your right, you see an endless row of balconies. Made me feel like we were just one couple out of a few thousand people, which is a fact, but it takes away from making you feel a little special on the cruise. When you're aft, there are only 3 or 4 balconies on either side of you. Makes it feel more private, more exclusive, more special. Not trying to sound "elitist" but when you spend the kind of money most people spend on taking a cruise, you want to feel a little first class. The aft part of the ship gives you that feeling. Needless to say, when we booked this years cruise, we booked an aft mini-suite on the Pearl for our Jan. 2009 sailing. I originally booked a BD guarantee like the year before, but when NCL dropped its prices, I was able to get the mini-suite for just about the same money. The clincher, of course, was when my PCC from NCL told me that an aft mini-suite was available, I grabbed it.

There are pros and cons to each location, such as more motion on the aft or foreward parts of the ship than mid-ship, if your prone to motion sickness. Also if you're mid-ship, you're more centrally located to everything. It's a nice walk from the aft to the foreward if thats where you want to go. With all that said, again IMHO, its definitely worth a shot if you can get an aft cabin. You may get spoiled and hooked like all the other repeat AFT cruisers on these boards.

Either way, you should enjoy your cruise. We always do. How much you enjoy your cruise depends 90% on attitude and 10% on the ship itself!! :cool:

We will be taking our 3rd NCL cruise this coming January 2009 (see my signature below). On our first ever cruise, on the Jewel in Jan. 2007, we treated ourselves to an aft romance suite (AD) and loved it. Very roomy suite, great views from the balcony, loved the sound of the wake off the back of the ship as the ship sailed at night, etc. Last winter, Jan. 2008, we sailed the Pearl and ended up with a BA balcony stateroom midship (from a BD guarantee). The room was ok, not as big as the AD suite we had the year before, but knew that in advance, so no complaints about the cabin itself. Not complaining about the location, but IMHO, and I have said this elsewhere on these boards, when you're midship on a balcony and look to your left and look to your right, you see an endless row of balconies. Made me feel like we were just one couple out of a few thousand people, which is a fact, but it takes away from making you feel a little special on the cruise. When you're aft, there are only 3 or 4 balconies on either side of you. Makes it feel more private, more exclusive, more special. Not trying to sound "elitist" but when you spend the kind of money most people spend on taking a cruise, you want to feel a little first class. The aft part of the ship gives you that feeling. Needless to say, when we booked this years cruise, we booked an aft mini-suite on the Pearl for our Jan. 2009 sailing. I originally booked a BD guarantee like the year before, but when NCL dropped its prices, I was able to get the mini-suite for just about the same money. The clincher, of course, was when my PCC from NCL told me that an aft mini-suite was available, I grabbed it.

There are pros and cons to each location, such as more motion on the aft or foreward parts of the ship than mid-ship, if your prone to motion sickness. Also if you're mid-ship, you're more centrally located to everything. It's a nice walk from the aft to the foreward if thats where you want to go. With all that said, again IMHO, its definitely worth a shot if you can get an aft cabin. You may get spoiled and hooked like all the other repeat AFT cruisers on these boards.

Either way, you should enjoy your cruise. We always do. How much you enjoy your cruise depends 90% on attitude and 10% on the ship itself!! :cool:

We are looking to upgrade from an AF mini-suite to an AE Penthouse suite on the GEM.

Do you have any info about the AE Penthouse? 9170 and 9670 are available .

They appear to be AFt but small.

I believe they come with the suite perks though.

Any help would be appreciated

We are looking to upgrade from an AF mini-suite to an AE Penthouse suite on the GEM.

Sorry but I don't have any more info on the AE penthouses other than what's available here or on the NCL web site. :(

9170 and 9670 are both:

- Cabin Square Footage: 286

- Balcony Square Footage: 65

For comparison:

Balcony BA 10586 - Cabin: 167, Balcony: 38

Mini-Suite AF 11574 - Cabin: 231, Balcony: 54

Yes, AE has full suite perks, AF does not.

I booked our early Dec trip on the Pearl 2 months ago and was a bit suprised that an aft Mini was still available, was just going to book a BB but hopped on the Mini when I asked the PCC if there are any aft cabins open.

As it turned out one was still available (11154), and I can't be more excited. :D

I've only been in inside cabins for the last 2 cruise, so this one will definitely be a nice upgrade from those.

GF and I are not going on Gem until April, 2009 but we had a front penthouse on the Dawn and the aft owner's suite on the Spirit. We both like the ride on the Spirit better (the perks have nothing to do with this descision) and have booked an aft penthouse on the Gem due to the fact that we like being in the back of the ship so much

Archived