Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

Jlynnek:

Thank you for sharing the info and I appreciate you made the effort to not name them. We were able to learn from your post.

I agree that anyone booked with them should be fine. Hopefully, you received copies of the HAL confirmation and not just a TA confirmation. That will give your HAL confirmation number and you will be taken care of by a rep in Seattle.

As long as your deposits were sent to HAL, there should be no problem.

Let us know when you contact them. I'll be interested to hear how smoothly they transition the booking for you.

That's lousy. I would not pay the $50.

You really don't need them.

Do you have a written copy of your HAL confirmation? If so, you should have no difficulty registering on line and appearing at the dock to board.

HAL wants $50.00/pp to reissue the documents that are now in limbo or $25 to be "manifested" at the pier.

That is ridiculous! Constant nickel and diming any more! Oil is at $58 a barell and they have this stupid hoop thing to jump through. We shouldn't have the fuel charges and they should waive this charge, ridiculous.

That is ridiculous! Constant nickel and diming any more! Oil is at $58 a barell and they have this stupid hoop thing to jump through. We shouldn't have the fuel charges and they should waive this charge, ridiculous.

Like every other 'for profit' company, they are trying to stay in business.

I suspect their bookings might be down a 'wee bit'.

'Ya think they need to make a dollar everywhere they can?

It's the inconsistency that irritates me. Why did one rep tell one customer of the now out of business TA they had to pay for new docs but another rep told someone else they do not have to pay?

Everyone should be charged or no one should be charged. IMO

:eek: Holy Cow! I just got my tickets last week. I had made final payment and HAL wouldn't let me complete online check in, they said payment hadn't been received. Payment had cleared my credit card statement so I phoned the agency. I was reassurred and told that a lump payment would be made to HAL from the agency. I thought it was strange that they would hold my money. I was told that something new was going on. I really liked my agent and have used them for 7 or more cruises,never a problem. Wonder if they will re-group and re-open. Since I have tickets in hand, I'm OK...aren't I.

HAL wants $50.00/pp to reissue the documents that are now in limbo or $25 to be "manifested" at the pier.

If I were you, I'd be calling again and again until I got a rep who agreed to send the docs at no fee.

If you don't the answer you get from one, try another.

Obviously, NewMkt got a rep who is sending the docs for no fee.

Good luck and please let us know.

Just got off the phone with Angie at HAL. She contacted the TA's consolidator and gave them my name, booking number and phone number and they are supposed to call me. She also gave me the consolidator's phone number. I tried to contact them, but received a voice message that the receptionist was away from her desk or on another call. I really don't expect a call back. They must be swamped with calls.

Angie said the consolidator was very vague about the situation and did not provide details. I'll probably just transfer my booking to HAL who, I'm sure, will be in business for a while. :D

Just got off the phone with Angie at HAL. She contacted the TA's consolidator and gave them my name, booking number and phone number and they are supposed to call me. She also gave me the consolidator's phone number. I tried to contact them, but received a voice message that the receptionist was away from her desk or on another call. I really don't expect a call back. They must be swamped with calls.

Angie said the consolidator was very vague about the situation and did not provide details. I'll probably just transfer my booking to HAL who, I'm sure, will be in business for a while. :D

To transfer your booking to HAL don't you need the original TA to fill our paperwork?

To transfer your booking to HAL don't you need the original TA to fill our paperwork?

Hal told me to fax a note explaining the situation to the world cruise reservations center (206-281-0627) and HAL will move the booking.

I can do this, but can someone explain why I need to? I'm paid in full, have new docs on the way, and waiting on a guarantee to be assigned.

It is a bit risky to work through travel agents - they like to charge you as early as possible and pay the line as late as possible (naturally trying to maximize their use of your funds). If they go under before the line confirms receipt of payment, you can be at risk. While they might be able to find you somewhat better pricing, you can usually do as well yourself by calling around - following up, asking to speak to supervisor, etc. Particularly now, with many small businesses on the brink, it may be a good idea to eliminate as many middlemen as possible and deal direct with the provider (of whatever service) yourself.

:eek: Holy Cow! I just got my tickets last week. I had made final payment and HAL wouldn't let me complete online check in, they said payment hadn't been received. Payment had cleared my credit card statement so I phoned the agency. I was reassurred and told that a lump payment would be made to HAL from the agency. I thought it was strange that they would hold my money. I was told that something new was going on. I really liked my agent and have used them for 7 or more cruises,never a problem. Wonder if they will re-group and re-open. Since I have tickets in hand, I'm OK...aren't I.

I had a similar issue with a different TA (Florida based) that had me very uncomfortable for a time. First the TA double charged my deposit once to HAL and once to the agency. When I called they said I would be credited. After a week the credit hadn't shown up, I contested the charge with the card company. It took over two months for them to finally issue the credit. Then they charged the final payment to be paid to the agency, rather than HAL. When I called to question this, they said that since I was in a group booking they cut a single check to HAL for the group. Still on the HAL website, I was unable to print the signature boarding pass because the booking wasn't paid in full. I called the agency again, and was told that final payment had been made to HAL, but HAL had to distribute the payment to each reservation in the goup. It was a month after final payment that I finally was able to print the boarding pass, and I received my docs.

Needless to say, I was very nervous despite verbal and emailed assurances from the agency that all was normal. I'll be looking for a different agency for my next cruise. While it may be standard practice for some agencies to charge you, then pay HAL, in the past, I've always had the agency charge to the cruise line. :(

" can do this, but can someone explain why I need to? I'm paid in full, have new docs on the way, and waiting on a guarantee to be assigned. "

I don't know why you'd need to, at this date. as long as HAL has your money and you have your docs, you should be fine.

A question for those who've used this agency--our dear friends have two upcoming cruises booked through them. She can't reach her husband right now and she's concerned about the insurance they purchased through the agency--they purchased it at time of deposit because of a pre-existing condition. I told her that any agency I've dealt with uses a third party insurance and the docs should have come separately--did any of you purchase your insurance through this agency, and do you know what company issued the policy?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Des

Archived