Cruising with minor daughter - travel docs- different last name

moethecat

Hi,

I will be cruising with my 14 year old daughter. We have different last names. I was never married to her mother. Her mother is deceased.

The question is: What travel documents do I need? We both have passports and I have her birth certificate. Do I need anything else? When I got her passport I used her mothers death certificate as proof of custody. Should I bring that as well?

I read some blurb about having legal documentation but not sure what that means

Rob

Bring a copy of her mother's death certificate in case you are asked for it. You may be asked for it, you may not be, but it is definitely better to bring it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I would also suggest travelling with the death certificate. My daughter has a different last name too, and I have sole custody of her, so any time we travel out of the country I have her passport, birth certificate and a copy of the custody agreement. I was told by my lawyer I would probably never need to show all of those, but to carry them all with me since you can never be too careful when travelling in foreign countries.

Archived