Xunantunich or Altun Ha

2-laner

As much as I would love to go to Lamanai, and it is my first choice, I have decided I would feel better if I stayed with a ship excursion so getting back in time is not on my mind. So that leaves me with choosing Xumantunich or Altun Ha. They both sound wonderful, and I can't decide which one for myself and two kids - 11 and 13. What do you all think??? Guess I'm looking for personal favorites from you, and then see which one wins out.

I love your pictures on Xunantunich. It looks very secluded and in a natural setting compared to other places that have a little bit of a manacured look. Do you think there will be less people going to this place as opposed to Altun Ha? It has been suggested that this trip is a little less 'fun' to get to since it is a longer bus ride and does not include a boat ride up the river to see wildlife, like Altun Ha. Personally, we prefer a little less crowd and more quiet nature.

One more question. Can you climb anywhere on the ruins, or just select structures? I suggested to my kids when they were looking at your pictures with me, that I kind of think they might not want us on all of them so as to preserve them as much as possible.

Archived