Business Casual

tradogna

I am goning to a party at my husband work, its a christmas party. I know what cocktail is and I thought that is what it would be, its at the Hoilday Inn. But they are saying business casual. I was thinking of wearing a long black shirt and a long tunic sweater over it with some nice earrings and black suede flat shoes. What does everone think. I have not worked in years, an am not sure about business casual. Thanks ever one. Teresa

I ran into this problem last year. My husbands Christmas party was at a Mexican restaurant which I consider to be very casual. So, I wore what I thought would be appropriate, nice black pants and jacket with a pink shell and matching jewelry. I asked DHs opinion before getting dressed. I was horrified upon arrival to find all the women in formal gowns, all the men in suits and ties, DH had on nice slacks and long sleeved shirt. It ended up being OK, a few people showed up later more casual than us. Of course, everyone was gracious and did not mention it. The sad part, for me, was that I have a number of lovely dresses that would have been appropriate, plus I would have loved the opportunity to wear one of them.

So, ask the women what they will be wearing, you might not be able to trust the DHs opinion.

Everywhere I have ever worked, "business casual" has meant khakis. If the Christmas party is at your husband's work, then they probably are keeping it casual for convenience sake. What is hubby wearing? As long as you and hubby are dressed in the same level of formality, I am sure that outfit will work fine.

Here in CT, business casual at a dinner party you described would have me wearing a long black skirt with one of my oriental jackets. I love the look of the mandarin collars, and my oriental jackets and tops at a bit of a formal-type look to the skirt.

Archived