Photo Prices Onboard?

EtoilePB

I hate being in pictures. I am as non-photogenic as it is humanly possible to be. As such, I have always ignored (read: run away from as fast as humanly possible) the photographers and photo-sale shops on cruise ships.

However, we're going to be cruising on the Serenade about two weeks before Christmas, and what with the losing weight and the new haircut and, oh, yeah, the first real vacation together since this relationship started nearly two years ago, I have a sneaking suspicion that four parents and six grandparents (the living ones) would quite like to find a nicely framed photo under the tree (or rather, in the brown UPS box) on Christmas morning.

So if -- that's a long if -- by some lucky chance a wandering Royal Caribbean photographer happens to snap one of us that I can tolerate, I will need to know:

1.) Can I buy just one photograph, and not a package of multiples?

2.) Can I buy multiples of the same photograph, or make a package out of multiple copies of a single photograph?

3.) How much do I need to try to budget for?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. :)

I hate being in pictures. I am as non-photogenic as it is humanly possible to be. As such, I have always ignored (read: run away from as fast as humanly possible) the photographers and photo-sale shops on cruise ships.

However, we're going to be cruising on the Serenade about two weeks before Christmas, and what with the losing weight and the new haircut and, oh, yeah, the first real vacation together since this relationship started nearly two years ago, I have a sneaking suspicion that four parents and six grandparents (the living ones) would quite like to find a nicely framed photo under the tree (or rather, in the brown UPS box) on Christmas morning.

So if -- that's a long if -- by some lucky chance a wandering Royal Caribbean photographer happens to snap one of us that I can tolerate, I will need to know:

1.) Can I buy just one photograph, and not a package of multiples?

2.) Can I buy multiples of the same photograph, or make a package out of multiple copies of a single photograph?

3.) How much do I need to try to budget for?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. :)

You can buy one photograph.

You can get a copyright waiver, and make multiple prints of your picture when you get home. We had 16 on a cruise this past summer. We bought 1 group picture on the ship and make a copy for each family when we returned home. There is a link to the waiver on RC's website.

I think 8x10 are $20.

The picture prices are a little steep (I can't remember exact prices, but I am thinking about $12 to $20 for an 8x10), but the good news is, you can buy just the one and then download the photo release and make as many copies as you want once you get home.

If I may make a suggestion, look for the "Lifestyle" photos, if you want a really good one. They are plain backgrounds (either white or black) and they are GREAT. Instead of the "stand here, click, move on" you get with the other ones, these take their time, put you in a ton of different poses, and really work to get a good shot. Best picture of myself I've had in ages! I was really pleased!

the other suggestion is, any time they have a camera out, let them take the picture. You only have to pay for the ones you want, so give them every opportunity to take a picture. That way, more to choose from and a better chance you will love it!

One last thing, I work part time as a photographer, doing wedding and family portraits. You never look as bad as you think you do. Everyone else will see you as beautiful, because they love you. Quit being hard on yourself and give them a gift they will love! And, give yourself a gift, and realize you ARE beautiful. I've taken thousands of pictures, and never once thought to myself, or had anyone else say, "they're ugly." We are all beautiful, we just all have trouble seeing that in ourselves!!!! So, smile and say cheese and have a GREAT cruise!!!

I feel the same way as you do, we just got off of the Adventure Nov 2, we normally always buy a group pic as well as a pic of just my DH & I, we frame them all & have them all hanging together in identical frames, nice for the group pics for memories. This time I said lets not bother with the pic of just the 2 of us, we did the group one only, the photographer took about 4 different shots, the last one called "group hug" it came out great, for the first time all 7 of us had eyes wide open, no dumb looks on our faces.

The 8"x10" sells for $19.95, but this time for $29.95 you could get 1 sheet of 8"x10" with another sheet including a 5"x7" & 4 wallets, we did the 2 sheet special, it was easier than buying just the 1 sheet having to bring it home, get copies made and then send them to everybody, this way we all had our copy before we left the ship, i then scanned the 8"x10" at home and e-mailed it to other family members, for them to delete or do with whatever they want to.

Enjoy your cruise & way to go on the weight loss.

Here is the link to the photo release site just in case you decide to do what the others are suggesting.

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

I too think that the photos are a bit high, but they are a great keepsake and I'm now glad that my wife went a little overboard with them. They are good reminders of what a great time we had.

Here is some unsolicited advice about the actual photos. They put them all on display and they can get fingerprinted and marked up. If you do decide to buy one and it is not in perfect condition, you can ask to have it reprinted. We did this with several photos and there weren't any issues; they'll even crop some if that is what you desire. This will be especially important if you want to have copies made once you get one.

You never look as bad as you think you do. Everyone else will see you as beautiful, because they love you. Quit being hard on yourself and give them a gift they will love! And, give yourself a gift, and realize you ARE beautiful. I've taken thousands of pictures, and never once thought to myself, or had anyone else say, "they're ugly." We are all beautiful, we just all have trouble seeing that in ourselves!!!! So, smile and say cheese and have a GREAT cruise!!!

The funny thing is, I don't tend to think I look so bad in mirrors or in person; for some reason, however I look just does not translate into film (or pixels) more than once in a blue moon, heh. But thanks for the encouragement. :)

As to the rest, thanks for all the tips! I didn't know that about the copyright release form; that's quite handy! Do you also have access to a digital copy of the photo, or just the purchased hard copy? (I do a lot of work with Photoshop at work and as a hobby so chances are I'd come up with a crop I like better than the original if I had access to the digital image, hehe. Not expecting it, though.)

You couldn't buy just one digital copy but I believe that you could buy all of your photos on a disk. However, it was really pricey so we opted to just buy photos. At the time we didn't know about the release so we even bought a few multiples.

I totally agree with the above posts. Anytime we saw a photographer, we would just go over and take pictures. They have multiple different backdrops all over the ship. We had a TON, but just waited until the end of the week and picked the ones we really loved. I've always been really happy with most of the pictures they take. I love the ones they do on the piers in port with the ship in the background too. The 8x10s that they do on the ship are $19.95, and the ones in port or more casual pictures they take around the ship are $9.95 for a 5x7.

I totally agree with the above posts. Anytime we saw a photographer, we would just go over and take pictures. They have multiple different backdrops all over the ship. We had a TON, but just waited until the end of the week and picked the ones we really loved. I've always been really happy with most of the pictures they take. I love the ones they do on the piers in port with the ship in the background too. The 8x10s that they do on the ship are $19.95, and the ones in port or more casual pictures they take around the ship are $9.95 for a 5x7.

They always seem to be the only ones that turn out good for us. We find them the best pictures of any they take on the whole cruise. :D

They always seem to be the only ones that turn out good for us. We find them the best pictures of any they take on the whole cruise. :D

You are probably more relaxed and eager to get out there and see the sights of the port which in turn can make for a great photo.

I am another one in favour of the lifestyle photos.

Choose some bright clothing or even a lei and just go for it.

We had our family one blown up on canvas it was so nice.

The cruise pictures saved my day when we cruised for my daughter's 21st birthday. I lost our camera, and the only picture I have is a very nice framed shot of her getting off at St. Maarten - nicely marked with the date of her birthday. We let the cruise ship take our pictures, and hope they turn out nice. Most of them don't, but one or two usually look good, and are nice mementos. There's no pressure to buy them.

Archived