Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sammiedawg

help disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in December , past passengers of Princess and HAL and know the Ft Lauderdale port and airport well.

We had a noon flight booked the day of disembarkation.

Our airline has cancelled some flights, I either change to an 11:15 flight or wait until later in the day.

Princess and HAl always give preference to people with early flightsm, does Celebrity do that regardless of whether you are a past passenger or in a suite?

Thanks in advance

We've never had a flight that early - but when you fill out your disembarkation papers, they ask you about flight times, etc.

Priority is given to those with early flights.

My only concern would be if there were any hold up with the ship clearing customs - but again, have never experienced that either.

We are usually among the last off the ship - and have always been off by 930 or so.

Hope this helps!! I'm sure there are others with more experience at this than myself.

Go for a later flight IMHO. While there is a 9/10 chance you'll be fine, it seems that at least once every other month something happens on every ship (extra scrutany by immigration or customs, someone not showing up to INS, mechanical, medical emergancy or weather delays) that holds the ship debarkation to 10am. When this happens there will be a mad, inconsiderate rush to the gangway and a high probability you'll miss your flight.

While Celebrity will usually give early debarkation tags to anyonw needing them, so things are beyond their control and the airlines are so stingy these days I don't think it's worth the risk.

Have taken flights out of FLL at 11:00 or even earlier as it was never any problem. The airport is only about 5 minutes from the port. One time we made a 10:30 flight but that was pre-9/11. Our airline changed our flight time and we made it. Good luck whichever you choose but I wouldn't think there would be a problem unless something mechanical happens and then everyone would miss their flight.

With the Summit it actually depends on which cruise you are on. The Summit does not use the same terminal each cruise, so things aren't alway smooth. If you are on the 10 day it returns to the X terminal and they have little problem getting people off the ship. If you return from the 11 day, it's not their terminal and things seem to take a little longer. It has been a complaint by both incoming and out going passengers. Take this into account when you book your flight

We did Summit 11 nt in Feb & returned to the X terminal & were off the ship & sitting in the FLL airport having checked bags AND cleared security at 10AM!!!!

You can make the 11:15 no problem!

we sailed the century last year. because of the captian's club, we were first off after the handicapped. we got our luggage and got in line for customs. as people with different luggage got off and collected their bags, they joined the line at the side instead of the back of the line. the port personnel kept telling those in line to move over and let the newcomers "merge"( a kid would call it butting in line).after a frustrating 90 minutes in a non air conditioned Florida terminal, we finally got out. we joked that this was what the poor immigrants being crowded through Ellis Island experienced--not what you would expect from a 5-star cruise line.We heard from many this is typical in Fort Lauderdale. When we got to the airport, they would not check our bags because you have to keep your bags until 90 minutes prior to your flight.Then you will wind through a security line that is longer that disney rides in july, so you do not have a lot of time to spare. Two bags, one brand new, were damaged when we got home. my advice is to make a later flight and stay on the ship until the last minute if you must deal with fort lauderdale.