Are dogs allowed on any cruise ship???

chivas1

There were two dogs on-board on our 10/31 voyage on Emerald Princess, one being part off the magician show, so i get it there. But i also saw a very small dog with a lady in a tummy pack all the time, even in the Horizon Court. Which i ( who am a dog lover) found to be un hygienic.

After many cruises this is the first time we saw this, is this allowed?

There were two dogs on-board on our 10/31 voyage on Emerald Princess, one being part off the magician show, so i get it there. But i also saw a very small dog with a lady in a tummy pack all the time, even in the Horizon Court. Which i ( who am a dog lover) found to be un hygienic.

WoW~ surprised at the lady in Horizon Court.. when was this and what ship?????:confused:

Only dogs I've seen have been seeing eye dogs on several cruises... and of course on Cunard where they have a kennel but the dogs have to stay on the "poop" :eek: deck

I do know that there are some dogs that assist with seizure detection and various blood disorders and those dogs (usually smaller breeds) need to be "next" to their person at all times to be able to do their jobs properly.

Maybe it was that type of service dog?

There's a lot of information on the variety of service animals on the "Cruising with Disabilities" Board here on CC. Very informative.

We were on that same cruise and asked about the dog. This lady had her dog certified as a "comfort" animal to help "calm" her. Having the dog go through classes qualifies it as a service animal.

Now I will climb aboard my soap box and expound my thoughts at this back handed way of taking your PET on a cruise. I think it is wrong and selfish. She was also in the dining room with the pooch. Normal service dogs stay under the table and are well behaved-this mutt was in the waist pouch at table level. I think there is something sick abut not being able to be away from a pet for a few days.There are many legitimate needs for service animals and IMHO, this isn't one of them. End of rant.

I felt the same, no problem at all with a service dog off any kind, but this just did not seem right. It was a very small terrier and even the dog looked unhappy! It was nearly in the lady her plate in Horizon Court, that's why i was wondering?

On our 10 day cruise on the Sun back in 2003, a woman had a small, white dog sitting on her lap. She even had him sitting on a separate chair in the dining room. I was curious and asked her about him. She said that she has seizures and he's able to detect one coming on. Maybe her husband isn't quite as in tune. And I realize he's not always with her. But her little pooch is. After seeing them all over the ship for 10 days, it was no big deal. The dog was always on her lap or sitting in a chair. Maybe at her feet, too, but not when I saw them together.

We were on that same cruise and asked about the dog. This lady had her dog certified as a "comfort" animal to help "calm" her. Having the dog go through classes qualifies it as a service animal.

Now I will climb aboard my soap box and expound my thoughts at this back handed way of taking your PET on a cruise. I think it is wrong and selfish. She was also in the dining room with the pooch. Normal service dogs stay under the table and are well behaved-this mutt was in the waist pouch at table level. I think there is something sick abut not being able to be away from a pet for a few days.There are many legitimate needs for service animals and IMHO, this isn't one of them. End of rant.

I couldn't agree with you more. If this woman needed 'calmed' by a dog, she sure didn't belong on a ship. It also sounds more like 'I don't want to leave my puppy at home and I know someone who will find a way around the rules so I can take it along with me'.

I think this goes above and beyond rule breaking, and although I love dogs, I think I would need a little calming if I saw a terrior sitting table level in the dining room. :mad:

Service dogs wouldn't bother me, in fact I respect those that travel with one in every sense of the word, but this type of service is a little much. IMHO!

This was exactly the reason for the little dog we saw with a woman back in '03. And, yes, he had to be with her everywhere, including in the dining room. People have service or companion dogs know that they need to take special care to make sure their animals are clean and free of fleas, etc. This little white dog sat very quietly on a chair next to her. Made less fuss than some of the kids or loud adults. :p It did make me homesick for my own little white dog, though.

As for dogs being in an area where food is served, those of us who have pets allow that at home, don't we? As long as they aren't climbing on the tables and begging, what's the problem? The only issue that might come up could be allergies. I know some folks are allergic to dander. But, on the other hand, half the clothes I own are covered with some type of animal fur. Who's to say I wouldn't wear it out in public next to someone who is allergic? ;)

I do know that there are some dogs that assist with seizure detection and various blood disorders and those dogs (usually smaller breeds) need to be "next" to their person at all times to be able to do their jobs properly.

Maybe it was that type of service dog?

There's a lot of information on the variety of service animals on the "Cruising with Disabilities" Board here on CC. Very informative.

I have to agree that this is stretching it a bit. After all, aren't all of us who own pets "comforted" by their presence most of the time? Well...unless they're chewing or soiling something, that is. :) They say that petting an animal lowers our blood pressure. Does that mean we need to bring it along on a cruise? I don't think so. :eek:

To actually use that as a "medical reason" to have your dog on board with you is really pushing it, in my opinion. I even had my doubts when the woman I saw on our cruise said her little dog detects seizures.

I met a lady at a park who told me her daughter got her a fake service dog certificate online. And she has a little vest for her. She says that she is always able to take her anywhere, including stores who normally don't allow animals. Now I think that's so dishonest and she's spitting in the faces of people who really do need a companion/service dog. :mad:

I have a friend that has a sheltie that is a service dog she was only 18 years old when she started getting seizure she is now in her early 20's and her dog Holly responded to it. In fact last year Shanna and Holly were recongized by the AKC Ace Awards for service dog. Shanna had saved Holly's life when she was a puppy and Holly now is paid her back by saving her life after she started getting the seizure Holly gives Shanna a 10 minute warning, she is an amazing dog. Shanna & Holly have been on many cruises with her family, and the cruiselines take wonderful care of them. Shanna would do room service every night and Holly new the exact time they were coming.

Christine

This is not that same as service dogs who can detect seizures etc. This lady specifically stated her dog was to calm her. Again, if you need to be calmed by a dog, then you need to stay home. I think this is flagrant abuse of the system by the lady who just wants to take her PET with her.

Last Christmas on the Diamond there was a husband and wife traveling with a Shih Tzu. We noticed them on the very first evening in the dining room when she had the dog with her on a leash. There seemed to be a spirited conversation going on with the Maitre D', but they were allowed in the dining room that night and on subsequent evenings as well. One thing I did notice is that after the first evening we never saw the dog in the dining room on a leash. Instead he was in a small strolling cart that they kept next to the table. We did see the little dog a lot all over the ship and he was on his leash in those instances. We even rode the elevator with them a couple of times. She said he was a service dog for her husband, who was very elderly and in a wheelchair. It was funny though, except for dinners I rarely saw her husband. The dog was always out and about with the wife. My daughter found it very entertaining and loved to have a chance to see him, but she was a little miffed she couldn't bring her kitty!

My big fella (below) is my partners medical alert dog and has saved his life more than once, he is very special to us. However when we cruise we choose to leave him at home we feel it really is not the place for a dog and we discuss whether he can go without him for a short trip. You have to remember its a gamble. He travels regularly and does NOT like flying! He does like the social thing so I'm sure he would enjoy the cruise. A proper service animal knows his/her training and when they are working and when they can be a regular dog. We put on his vest and he knows. No service dog should be at table height, this is unhygenic. We also have a pet (my little girl) my big fella chose her at the ACC and fell in love staight away. He gets what he wants. So the two of them stay at home and we have a sitter in for them. It is very strange to go away without your service dog at your side, they become true companions you like to share things with not just a dog.

Would be nice if we could have a pets cruise.

Anthony

Just what does the person do once the dog detects an oncoming seizure?

Truly curious here, not snarky.

This is my understanding of it:

Warning by the dog allows the person to get to a safe place where they won't be hurt or hurt someone else if they have a seizure. Example, if someone had a seizure while climbing the stairs, the siezure would cause a fall with possible serious injury.

I have never seen a dog on a cruise ship except on Titanic.(film)

You do see them in Europe in restuarants. I sat with one at my side in Germany last year. It didn`t bother me as I have two but it could bother some. In the Cafe de Paris in Monte Carlo a lady was feeding a small dog from her plate.

I wonder if my two border collies would like to come with me next cruise?:D

I don't think any certificate for the dog is needed:

http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm

Interesting.........so all I need to do is SAY my animal is a service animal and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I can see it now................a ship full of yapping, messy, shedding, incontinent animals all over the place in the name of the ADA. Sheesh.:(

Warning by the dog allows the person to get to a safe place where they won't be hurt or hurt someone else if they have a seizure. Example, if someone had a seizure while climbing the stairs, the siezure would cause a fall with possible serious injury.

It is not understood exactly how a seizure "alert" dog is able to detect the seizure, and they can't prevent it. With warning, the person might be able to get out of the shower, or sit down, or even move into a room away from the public. The value of these dogs is huge, allowing people more independence and freedom to enjoy the world. Some dogs are seizure response dogs. Taught to go get help when their person has a seizure, or perhaps to stay with that person until the seizure is over. Some has been taught to nudge the person to their side, some will lie on top of them. For any with questions regarding crusing and service dogs, their is wonderful information on the disabled cruise forum. In fact I think it is a good idea for able bodies people to go over and read this forum as it is a wonderful education tool.

Here is the info on service animals from the Americans With Disabilities website:

http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm

Yes, some people are going to act fraudulently. These may be the same people who are cheating on their taxes, shoplifting, and committing insurance fraud. They think that it does not hurt anyone, but in this case it questions the legitimacy of service dogs for those who need them.

For the person who asked how seizure dogs help, here is an article from the Delta Society:

http://www.deltasociety.org/ServiceArticlesSeizure.htm

And another one about the usefulness of toy breeds for service work:

http://www.deltasociety.org/ServiceArticlesToy.htm

Psychiatric Service Dogs, Emotional Supprt Dogs and Therapy Dogs are all different. Psychiatric Service Dogs are covered under the ADA and must be trained to perform special skills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_service_dogs). Emotional Support Animals (http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/256) are not service animals and do not have all of the same rights. However, they are allowed in housing where pets are not allowed and also on many airlines. Perhaps Princess extends this same allowance on their ships.

I personally love seeing working dogs of all kinds. I also loved visiting Europe and seeing dogs (pets) with their owners in shops, bars, and restaurants. I don't however agree with anyone who fraudulently claims to have a service dog or an emotional support animal without need. At the same time, I don't feel that I am in a position to judge other people's emotional and psychiatric needs.

Hope this was of interest or help to some! You can tell my my name that I am kind of into dogs....=-)

Thank you.

On our 10 day cruise on the Sun back in 2003, a woman had a small, white dog sitting on her lap. She even had him sitting on a separate chair in the dining room. I was curious and asked her about him. She said that she has seizures and he's able to detect one coming on. Maybe her husband isn't quite as in tune. And I realize he's not always with her.

Actually, a seizure-detection dog can actually alert the person of an oncoming seizure BEFORE it happens... no one is 100% certain how they do it, but it is theorized that the dog can smell chemical changes that signal a seizure is on it's way. The dog gives the person enough time to go and lie down before the seizure even occurs, minimizing the chance that the person could fall and become injured during a seizure. It's truly amazing.

Edit: Oops, others beat me to it!

Archived