Carnival out of Miami-arriving a day early

Haroldmeyers

We are arriving in Miami on 11/26 for a cruise that leaves 11/27. We already made the mistake of booking the Intercontinental hotel west of the airport based on the cruise agent's recommendation. Looks like the better choice would have been South Beach because its close to the port and there would be more to do the night before we sail. Does anyone know what it costs for a taxi to shuttle a family of 5 from the Intercontinental to South Beach? Is it worth it? We arrive in the afternoon, so we have ample time to see the sights.

I just did 3 nights pre-cruise in South Beach in October. Definitely the place to go for an interesting night. If you drive all the way down Ocean Drive and turn onto 5th, it will take you right by the Port of Miami into downtown Miami. That was my favorite drive. I would suggest renting a car, that way you can see a bit of Miami. Don't worry about parking, it may take a few minutes but we always found a spot. Lots of the rental companies drop off at the airport, but then have free shuttles over to the port. Just be sure that the one you book with does, I know for sure that Dollar/Thrifty do.

We are arriving in Miami on 11/26 for a cruise that leaves 11/27. We already made the mistake of booking the Intercontinental hotel west of the airport based on the cruise agent's recommendation. Looks like the better choice would have been South Beach because its close to the port and there would be more to do the night before we sail. Does anyone know what it costs for a taxi to shuttle a family of 5 from the Intercontinental to South Beach? Is it worth it? We arrive in the afternoon, so we have ample time to see the sights.

You can always cancel and rebook at another hotel....most hotels give you up to 72 hours to cancel.

Just make sure you there is availability at another hotel before you cancel......

I personally would never stay at a hotel by the airport.....

Good luck!

If you can't cancel and rebook nearer to SB, than just take a taxi...will probably cost around $10 each way. That is cheaper and easier than renting a car. We always go down a night early and stay at the BLUE MOON on Collins Ave which is a block away from everything. Definately hit the Clevelander, Mangos and walk up and down Ocean Drive. It is a really fun, interesting night.

Good luck!

Hi Harold!

If you're partial to the brand, the Intercontinental at Chopin Plaza is so close you can see the port from the front of the hotel. We stayed there after our Destiny cruise and just loved it. Perhaps they could move you over there? We went to SoBe for a little bit...it's just a short drive or taxi fare away.

Hi Harold!

If you're partial to the brand, the Intercontinental at Chopin Plaza is so close you can see the port from the front of the hotel. We stayed there after our Destiny cruise and just loved it. Perhaps they could move you over there? We went to SoBe for a little bit...it's just a short drive or taxi fare away.

I will second that!! This is where we stay anytime we are leaving out of Miami........

Ask for port view and you can watch your ship come in.......

I can tell you that from MIA to South Beach it costs us $34 for a cab ride...next morning it cost us $23 from South Beach to the Port of Miami...And, yes, South Beach was worth the extra money we spent in cab fare! Although it rained the whole day we enjoyed the area...Lots and lots of little shops, a huge variety of restaraunts, and South Beach alone was beautiful..they have a walking path along the beach...the whole time we was there I kept telling my DH that I wish our three kids were here to enjoy SB with us....

I have done that twice. I always rent a car for 24 hour period. (They charge by the 24 hours.)

It's about the same price as taking the shuttle or taxi and you have a car for the evening. You can drop it off at the Miami airport, and the rental car agency will drop you off at the pier for free (if you ask to return it to the pier.)

Just don't go over that 24 hour mark and you won't be charged for two days. :)

Archived