Need advice on which cruise to take first time cruiser on

If you were taking someone on their first cruise and you don't know if they'll like it or not yet, which would you choose? (Both are short cruises since it's an "introduction" to cruising...don't want to overwhelm the first time out, lol.) This would take place in the beginning of February, most likely.

1.Monarch from Port Canaveral to Nassau & Cococay, Bahamas

Monarch is cheaper & you get more ports, but it's a smaller older ship with no balconies, but airfare is about $50 pp cheaper but goes through northern states (more chance of getting stuck by winter weather).

2.Navigator from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel (two sea days)

Navigator is a larger newer ship, but only one port & about $200 pp more (although that would get a balcony--it's actually cheaper for a balcony than an oceanview on this one), and airfare is $50 pp more but goes through southern states (less likely to get stuck by winter weather).

Opinions?

I would take the Navigator for numerous reasons.

Navigator is a newer ship with much more amenities to offer.

Also, the staterooms on Navigator are much, much larger on Navigator than on Monarch. For a first time cruiser, the small rooms on a cruise ship compared to a hotel can sometimes be a shock, and when you consider that the staterooms on Monarch are TINY this can be an even bigger shock.

I much prefer Cozumel as a port to the Bahamas especially in the winter. With a Bahamas only cruise, if a cold front comes through Florida then not only will your departure port be cold but so will CocoCay and Nassau. Also, because CocoCay is a tender port it does tend to be missed and Nassau isn't one of my favorite ports. Cozumel has a lot more choices to offer from water activities to ruins to explore to shopping etc. It even has one of my favorite excursions - the Mexican Cuisine Demonstration.

My opinion is Navigator. If it were me cruising for the first time, I would hope my friend would give me as much WOW factor as possible. Even if there's only one port, the ship is big enough to keep you busy for those few days and get your friend hooked on cruising. JMHO :D

If you were taking someone on their first cruise and you don't know if they'll like it or not yet, which would you choose? (Both are short cruises since it's an "introduction" to cruising...don't want to overwhelm the first time out, lol.) This would take place in the beginning of February, most likely.

1.Monarch from Port Canaveral to Nassau & Cococay, Bahamas

Monarch is cheaper & you get more ports, but it's a smaller older ship with no balconies, but airfare is about $50 pp cheaper but goes through northern states (more chance of getting stuck by winter weather).

2.Navigator from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel (two sea days)

Navigator is a larger newer ship, but only one port & about $200 pp more (although that would get a balcony--it's actually cheaper for a balcony than an oceanview on this one), and airfare is $50 pp more but goes through southern states (less likely to get stuck by winter weather).

Opinions?

They are both four nights...correct? I think you'd want to impress them and book the ship with the bigger WOW factor, which due to its sheer size and relatively young age, would be the navigator. Also, as first timers, we found we preferred sea days because they were relaxing, whereas the port days, while VERY exciting, were exhausting.

Then again, none of us know your sitaution. It looks like for about $500 more in total you could be on the navigator, though you would be in a balcony. :D It comes down to a personal decision, but I tend to think if you're trying to get them hooked, navigator would be the way to go!

A first cruise is a special experience and I don't think that a ship with all the bells and whistles is necessary to provide a first time cruiser with a WOW type experience. The first time cruiser may find more than enough features onboard Monarch of the Seas to become a dedicated cruiser and certainly won't know what he is missing because of the lack of some of the features that Navigator would offer. Not sure what you mean when you refer to "northern states" in regard to the Monarch. It too leaves from Florida though something like two hundred or so miles to the north of where the Navigator sails from. The Bahamas can be cool at times during the winter but "cool" is a relative term that may not really apply if your cruiser is from the northern states in the US. If you think that this first timer will really enjoy the basic cruise experience(food, service, entertainment etc.), go with whatever is the better deal. If you think he or she will need all of the extras (Royal Promenade, Ice Skating rink etc.) in order to survive and enjoy the cruise, go with the bigger and newer ship.

My first cruise was on the Monarch of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale. She went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel at the time. Ironically, I'm going on the Navigator next month. So I cannot compare the two...yet.

But I will say this...my favorite cruise so far is the Monarch. Why? Because she is beautiful. I definitely had the wow effect when entering the Atrium upon embarkation. But, for a first time cruiser...she is big, but not overwhelming. I enjoyed her so much, we've done both her sister ships as well.

My vote: The Monarch!

Not sure what you mean when you refer to "northern states" in regard to the Monarch. It too leaves from Florida though something like two hundred or so miles to the north of where the Navigator sails from.

That was just in reference to the flights out there. We're in Idaho so there are NO straight flights. We'd have at least one connection, more likely two. The flights I found to Orland took a "northern" route: Denver, Minneapolis. The flights I found to Fort Lauderdale took a "southern" route: Salt Lake, Atlanta. I was thinking in terms of it being February and the possibility of there being bad winter weather that might delay flights.

That was just in reference to the flights out there. We're in Idaho so there are NO straight flights. We'd have at least one connection, more likely two. The flights I found to Orland took a "northern" route: Denver, Minneapolis. The flights I found to Fort Lauderdale took a "southern" route: Salt Lake, Atlanta. I was thinking in terms of it being February and the possibility of there being bad winter weather that might delay flights.

I think even the "southern" route flights could be impacted just as easily by bad weather as the northern ones depending upon where the connecting flight is coming from.

I think even the "southern" route flights could be impacted just as easily by bad weather as the northern ones depending upon where the connecting flight is coming from.

This is true...hadn't thought of it that way. Can you tell I don't travel in winter much?:rolleyes:

I took my SIL for her first cruise, last April on the Monarch 4 day out of LA....We are going on the Mariner this April to celebrate her 6oth.

I have cruised on the Monarch 3 times this year and NOTS my first voyager class ship. just last month.

I would go with the Monarch, because it is traditional cruising and the staff is exceptional.

The NOTS is crowded plain and simple, a beautiful ship with WOW factor and I loved all the activities...but for a first time cruiser getting their feet wet something a little less in your face might be more enjoyable.

We were on NOTS for 10 nights and four sea days and we went to the ice shows and ice skating, etc..etc...but never had that feeling of really cruising...it was to activity packed.

I have already warned my SIL, that Mariner will be very different..

Enjoy whatever your decision will be.

A first time cruiser will flip at over having a balcony! This is the only type of stateroom Hubby and I have booked since our second cruise! Your friend can be outside when your showering and getiing ready and vice versa! For a first time cruiser they will be so thrilled and overwhelmed to have a private balcony connected to the stateroom! They will not even care about the number of ports! They will want to enjoy the view from the balcony!!! The Ice Skating show is a NOT to be Missed event! It's always a great show!!! Hubby and I are sailing on The NOS on December 6th, 2008 and we can not wait!!! The Monarch is a great ship and but Navigator will impress and a balcony even more so!! Best of Luck in whatever you choose!!! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Sincerely, Melissa

either of those seem like great choices. Our first cruise was to the Bahamas and boy did we get hooked. I think that would be a great first cruise choice...also...since there are such great deals on the Bahamas out there, if someone in the party is disapointed they didnt spend as much;)

My vote would be the Navigator. I had been on two cruises as a kid, but could never talk DH into going on a cruise with me until our 8th anniversary. I took him on the Explorer to the Western Caribbean, with Cozumel being one of our stops. I hooked him with that cruise, and we've been on 4 cruises since then, with another one booked for January!

Hey Jane!

It's your Monarch buddy Jayme.....

Ok, so you know which scenario get's my vote :p Hope you have a great time though no matter what ship your on!

Cruising with my DD and Becky and her fam on Mariner this April. Can't wait.

Good luck with your decision and have fun on Oasis (in a year or so!) ;)

Given the excellent cruise pricing right now, I would encourage you to do a 7-day cruise. I say that because it takes a few days to get into the rythym of it all, particularly after some travel.

I recall my first cruise, which was on the Carnival Jubilee (in 1997). A very simple ship by today's standards, yet it was a wonderful experience because it was all new to us and we had plenty of time to relax and a few ports to enjoy. Our experience was great in spite of being in an inside cabin, which I wouldn't rush to book now. I have done several cruises since with most of the major cruiselines, and ships have definitely become more elaborate. I have had a great time on ships large and small (no bad cruise yet). Although I have done some short repositioning cruises, I have found 7-day ones to be more enjoyable. (I haven't tried even longer ones - I'm guessing those would be good too!)

Have a great time!

A first cruise is a special experience and I don't think that a ship with all the bells and whistles is necessary to provide a first time cruiser with a WOW type experience. The first time cruiser may find more than enough features onboard Monarch of the Seas to become a dedicated cruiser and certainly won't know what he is missing because of the lack of some of the features that Navigator would offer. Not sure what you mean when you refer to "northern states" in regard to the Monarch. It too leaves from Florida though something like two hundred or so miles to the north of where the Navigator sails from. The Bahamas can be cool at times during the winter but "cool" is a relative term that may not really apply if your cruiser is from the northern states in the US. If you think that this first timer will really enjoy the basic cruise experience(food, service, entertainment etc.), go with whatever is the better deal. If you think he or she will need all of the extras (Royal Promenade, Ice Skating rink etc.) in order to survive and enjoy the cruise, go with the bigger and newer ship.

I agree 100%. Carnival Imagination was what got me hooked, and with (comparitively) no bells and whistles, I was incredibly WOWed the entire trip and couldn't believe how big the ship was!! I'd rather start on something on a smaller scale because it is easier to get the feel of. Then when they go on a second cruise on a bigger ship, they will again be WOWed by the amenities.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions/advice. Good points made by all. Still not sure if we're even going, but I'm trying to look into it just in case.

Have you asked the "1st timer" which they'd prefer?

Yes, but since he's never gone he really didn't have an opinion of which he'd prefer.

Given the excellent cruise pricing right now, I would encourage you to do a 7-day cruise. I say that because it takes a few days to get into the rythym of it all, particularly after some travel.

I totally agree with this! If you are flying from Idaho, take a few extra days of warm weather while you are here!

That being said - either way you choose to go - I would also recommend flying the "southern states" route to avoid snowstorm delays in the north. But that is just me.

Talk with your travel partner and get their input - show them all the choices and see what "rings their bell".

Archived