Independent in Costa Maya?

Lynda S

Hello everyone-

We will be docking in Costa Maya on two back to back cruises in Dec and I have a few questions on independent tours, or just 'hanging out'. Our first time, with just my husband and myself, in will be from noon on one day to 1pm the next day. Less than a week later we will be in from 10:00 to 4:00 on the one day, along with our son and three of his very outdoor active friends - they are all in their late 20's. I apologize in advance if this is covererd in someone else's post, I have read a few, but there is so many it's hard to know which ones to read when time is limited!

Over the years my husband and myself have become quiet tired of ship's excursions, we have taken them for years but are now starting to want to do tours independently so that I do not have to stand in line for postcards and washrooms.

Can anyone suggest a tour company for a private tour, or shall we just wait and find someone at the docks? Come to think of it, can someone tell me if Costa Maya is a town, or is it just docks for the cruise passengers for the Mayan Coast?

Here is kind of what we had in mind-

When it is just my husband and myself I would like to go to Chacchoben to see the ruins, but we also like to see off-the-beaten path villages etc - interact with the locals, have a drink, food, whatever. We like to shop the stores off the beaten path, talk to the people. Take lots of pictures, discover the culture.

When we are in for the all day with our son and his friends, they would like to do a beach, dune buggy, active kind of thing. Two of them are certified divers, but of course will not have equipment with them, while everyone else would like to snorkel. Everyone is game for parasailing, jet ski's and dune buggy or off-road, etc.

Last question - if my husband and I go with them for the day and just hang about the beach with them are the dune buggy's really hard on the back? In my RCL shore ex book I noted that people with back problems shouldn't go on the All Terrain Truck excursion but it didn't say anything like that on the dune buggy excursion.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

READ YOUR ANSWERS IN CAPITAL LETERS.( SO MANY WHERE DO I BEGIN???)

Hello everyone-

We will be docking in Costa Maya on two back to back cruises in Dec and I have a few questions on independent tours, or just 'hanging out'. Our first time, with just my husband and myself, in will be from noon on one day to 1pm the next day. (THIS IS A FIRST FOR US LOCALS. I CANNOT ANSWER THIS ONE TRULY. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PIER HAS ARRANGED FOR THIS. THE TOWEN IS NOT GEARED UP FOR A HECTIC NIGHTLIFE. WE ARE USED TO GOING TO BED AT 9PM AFTER A HECTIC DAY OF CRUISESHIPS. NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY ARE GOING TO BE A HARD TIME FOR THIS SMALL PLACE TO COPE WITH. AT THE MOMENT ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT THERE ARE A FEW RESTAURANTS OPEN IN THE EVENING. THIS COULD ALL CHANGE WHEN WE REALISE THAT NOW WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SHIPS OVERNIGHT.) Less than a week later we will be in from 10:00 to 4:00 on the one day, along with our son and three of his very outdoor active friends - they are all in their late 20's. I apologize in advance if this is covererd in someone else's post, I have read a few, but there is so many it's hard to know which ones to read when time is limited!

Over the years my husband and myself have become quiet tired of ship's excursions, we have taken them for years but are now starting to want to do tours independently so that I do not have to stand in line for postcards and washrooms. (VISIT THE TOWN OF MAHAHUAL AND TAKE YOUR PICK. THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD BATHROOMS BUT THE PEOPLE WILL TRY THEIR BEST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY)

Can anyone suggest a tour company for a private tour, or shall we just wait and find someone at the docks? Come to think of it, can someone tell me if Costa Maya is a town, or is it just docks for the cruise passengers for the Mayan Coast? (COSTA MAYA IS A PORT WITH A SMALL VILLAGE ONLY 5 TO 10 MINUTES AWAY. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT THEN COME TO MAHAHUAL FOR A NEW EXPERIENCE IN PARADISE)

Here is kind of what we had in mind-

When it is just my husband and myself I would like to go to Chacchoben to see the ruins( CHACCHOBEN IS ONLY 1 HOUR AWAY AND CAN BE ARRANGED INDIDUALLY AWAY FROM THE SHIPS TOURS. SEE THE OTHER REPORTS AND QUESTIONS), but we also like to see off-the-beaten path villages etc - interact with the locals, have a drink, food, whatever.B (THAT IS NO PROBLEM, VISIT THE VILLAGE OF MAHAHUAL) We like to shop the stores off the beaten path, talk to the people. Take lots of pictures, discover the culture.

When we are in for the all day with our son and his friends, they would like to do a beach, dune buggy (ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SHIPS), active kind of thing. Two of them are certified divers(TRY CROCODILE@2DIVE.COM OR DREAMTIMETANYA@HOTMAIL.COM), but of course will not have equipment with them, while everyone else would like to snorkel. Everyone is game for parasailing (AVAILABLE) , jet ski's (AVAILABLE) and dune buggy or off-road (AVAILABLE) , etc.

Last question - if my husband and I go with them for the day and just hang about the beach with them are the dune buggy's really hard on the back(THE ROAD IS A LITTLE ROUGH BUT SHOULD BE OKAY UNLESS YOU SUFFER BACK PROBLEMS)? In my RCL shore ex book I noted that people with back problems shouldn't go on the All Terrain Truck excursion but it didn't say anything like that on the dune buggy excursion.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

WOW! Thankyou so much nitrogenaddict and the others, that was a lot of information you gave me! I am going to digest all of this and then I will be back to the boards!

Good point about the time, I guess that could be 1 am in the morning, I really only glanced, but I will look when I get home and see what it says!

Back to you guys later - but again THANKS!

Well, after hours of research, I think I have it all planned, thanks to this board! First off, nitogenaddict, sorry for scaring you on the overnight thing - BrianSBC was right, the time posted for departure was 1:00 AM, NOT PM, but now they have moved that back to 8:00 pm. Maybe they read your post about everyone going to bed early! Thanks for all of your answers to my questions and the others, we are all going to have a much better trip being prepared with all of the questions that you have answered! A big THANKYOU!

Bubblez, I tried Costa Maya Excursions, but they don't do a Chacchoben tour due to transport regulations.

So, for the day that all 6 of us are in I think we will book the shore excursion to Chacchoben, or we may try what FloridaAdGuy suggested in another post with the taxi cabs. It does end up to be cheaper, but some have warned me that taxi's do break down and we may be resident in Costa Maya for the next stop! So I am undecided as of yet on which way, but it would be one or the other.

For the day that my husband and I are in I think we will just take a taxi into town and poke around Mahajual for the afternoon. Any suggestions for 'not be missed in town'; nitrogenaddict or anyone else?

What are you and hubby looking for. Food? Most restaurants offer a wide selction of food, mexicna to sort of international. Drink? There are many bars that will ofer cold beer and many cocktails relaxation? Beach area abounds for the sun lovers. Just pick your spot Noisy. Well there are those places too but fortunately not many. Quiet? Go South yound man and you will find peace and tranquillity. Let me know which of these options you are looking at and then I can be more specific.

I'm looking for culture, wonderful authentic mexican food (big on salsa), talking to locals, great photos; while Jim (hubby) is looking for culture, beer, talking to locals, and great photos. Animals of any sort are what I ALWAYS look for in other countires, but I know they don't just roam free! (darn).

Hmm, quiet sounds better than noisy. Noisy is OK, but quiet is better!

I also like to browse through stores such as grocery stores to see what is new to me, or what may be expensive back home but cheap here - spices maybe? Souvernir shops are worth one cursory glance, but that's about it. Craft shops though would be high on my list (handmade stuff by locals)

"I'm looking for culture, wonderful authentic mexican food (big on salsa), talking to locals, great photos; while Jim (hubby) is looking for culture, beer, talking to locals, and great photos. Animals of any sort are what I ALWAYS look for in other countires, but I know they don't just roam free! (darn).

Hmm, quiet sounds better than noisy. Noisy is OK, but quiet is better!

I also like to browse through stores such as grocery stores to see what is new to me, or what may be expensive back home but cheap here - spices maybe? Souvernir shops are worth one cursory glance, but that's about it. Craft shops though would be high on my list (handmade stuff by locals)"

Hi Lynda S,

Mexican food is abundant here. Do not worry about the quality. I do not know of anyone whao has got sick yet. There is Oxtankha, El Faro, Captain mono. Beer is everywhere on cruiseship day so hubby will be happy. Culture well this is a fishing village turning towards tourism. To see outside of the tourism then you need to get out of the centre and head south as a I said. The best way to do that is hire a golf cart to get you around.

Animals- well there are a lot of dogs around but if you want take a taxi and go to the Monkey farm.. They have a variety of animals there. Do not expect much in the grocery stores, we have trouble finding what we want. The nearest big shopping area is 84 miles away. Souveniers and such are readily available in the town centre from all the small kiosks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks nitrogennaddict for all of the good info!

How far south do we go to get out of the tourist zone, could it be done by taxi? (I'm not much one for fighting to get to the front of the line for a golf cart...)

How far away is the monkey farm, and what kind of animals do they have? Sounds good to me, and I will bring along some dog snacks for hungry little orphaned dogs - thanks for the prewarning I always kick myself when I forget to bring snacks for the strays - this time I wrote it down. That little scrawny kitty cat in India that I saw 2 years ago and had no snacks for still haunts my dreams.

And, thanks for the info on the stores and restaurants - anything you need from Canada that will fit in my suitcase? If so, let me know, I'll pack it in and arrange to meet you (see, then I can talk to a local!) if you would like anything.

Let me know - and thanks again!

At the moment with state of the road I would not go more than 7 kilometers. After this you need to bring snorkel equipment to get through the puddles and maybe have your golf cart break down. My suggestion is possibly 5.5 kilometers where you will come to the Travel Inn. Nice place to stop have a beer something to eat and then turn around and head back. Travel Inn is run by an English Dutch couple. To simple basic food and serve beer and sodas all day.

I came here 4 years ago and fell in love with this area, the people and JUST everything. I am a Scuba Instructor now working for a major resort to be opened in December. I have taken over the dive operation but am also involved in the remodelling etc. Basically a jack of all trades helping to get this resort off the ground. I have got to know most of the people in this town and just like helping people get to know what is available. I know the cruise ships like their guests to do what they want. I know there are a lot of independant people out there who want something different. I am just trying to help people find the information they need. If I am not busy on Cruise ship days you might find me in the town with an australian type hat on . Hence my nickname here Crocodile though I come from Africa and not Australia.

Hi, this is a very informative thread...thank you:)

Question, I will be there next month...I sail solo, From where the ship docks...can I just get off there and walk to town? Or is a cab necessary? I will probably be meeting folks from my "ROLL CALL" but I haven't booked an excursion here yet.

I will be on Celebrity's Constellation the week of Dec 11th...Nitrogen, will your new resort be opened then?

Thanks for all of you information Nitrogenaddict! I have posted to see if I can find 2 more people to share a cab to Chachoben with me, sounds better than a beach party ... can do that anytime and almost anywhere there is sand and booze! Looking forward to seeing a little more. Now I can't find where I read something about how to get from the port to Mahahual. Was it some kind of port sponsored transportation that cost $3 pp? Too many things fogging this brain of mine! HELP!!!!

Mary Lynn

You can get transport from the pier for 5 USD per person. They will drop you off in town. Look for the Yellow Cabs. I am being a little biased because they are friends of mine but ask for Dave or David taxi number 09 or Xavier. They will take good care of you. Mention my name Crocodile or Douglas.

You can then return to the village for some refreshments shopping etc. Later on get a yellow cab back to the port for 2 USD. This is why the yellow cabs are banned from the port because they do not charge the same price of 5 USD.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived