Cruising hurricane season-sept. Opinions anyone?

afilbrun

People cruise during hurricane season every year... we do, and yes, sometimes you may get rain, but you can get rain in May... if there is a hurricane, they will divert you... it's really not a big deal... now, if a hurricane threatens the port you are leaving from, there could be issues... but they are pretty rare.

I was on the Conquest Ike cruise. If you had told me I was running a chance of my car going underwater in Galveston when I left I would have said no way. When I came back, folks said to me, well you knew the risk??!! I think if something does happen, don't expect any sympathy from this board. They will tell you dont worry before you go and afterwards you knew the risk and took it because of the price. (actually I picked that date because the Carnival rep went thru 3 months worth of reservations to get that two windowed 1A, the date and price wasnt why).

Just be aware you are taking a risk. Ports do flood. Leave your car on high ground and take alternative transportation.

We have cruised during Huricane season twice and have a third booked. The first one was on the Ecstasy and we were one day ahead of Hurricane Felix the whole time. The weather and the seas were great. Nothing but sun shine and smooth sailing. The second one was on the Triumph, we had to deal with TS Hanna and Huricane Ike. TS Hanna was due to hit the Bahamas the same time we were to go to HMC, so the cancelled that port. and instead gave us a day at sea. The first day at sea was great sun shine the whole time. rough waters but it wasn't that bad. The second day we had rain the whole day. So 3000 people were stuck in the ship but it didn't seem that croweded. Our first port St. Thomas it rained on us for the first hour and than cleared off for the Rest of the day. Second port was San Juan and it was a great day no clouds in the sky and it was hot. The third port was suppose to be Grand Turk but TS Hanna took care of that for us and hit it the day before we were suppose to be there. So they just cancelled it and gave us another sea day. Hurricane Ike hit Grand Turk the day we were suppose to be there so it got hit twice. The rest of the cruise we stayed one day ahead of Ike. The seas were smooth and had sun the whole time. I love to cruise during Hurricane season the prices are great and there are very few kids. As long as you know that there is a good possibilty that you won't go to some of the ports. You will have a good time. Just keep in mind nothing is set in stone

We cruised out of Tampa in 9/07 on the Legend and had beautiful weather the entire time. Had smooth seas and warm temps. The price was right and I did not even think of hurricane season when booked just knew the date was after our sons wedding and would want a vacation at that time. We would book again during this time. Just know that there is a risk of bad weather and port changes.

What does everyone think about cruising in Sept. during hurricane season?!

Although hurricane season is exactly SIX months of each year, I've taken five cruises in early September w/no problem. Doesn't mean there won't be, but you take your chances, as everyone does from June 1 through November 30. I lost my 160 year old home on the beach in Gulfport to Katrina, but if I saw a cruise in September or any month that appealed to me, I'd go. The captain will always take a ship out of harm's way.:)

We have probably been on over 20 cruises during September because that is our anniversary month. We were out when Ivan approached the western Carribean, the captain had to change our ports but we had no problem at all with bad weather. We were booked out of Mobile the day Katrina hit, Carnival was in touch with us the 2-3 days ahead of time , keeping us updated and after it was cancelled we had our refund within the week. We have also sailed in Oct. and Nov. and would not hesitate to do so again.

We were on the Ecstasy sailing right before Hurricane Ike -- as a matter of fact we raced him back to port and arrived to Galveston being under a mandatory evacuation. We even tried to turn around and get back on the ship cos we figured the weather would be better there than at home for the next few days cos the ship would go around it. But we ended up going home to ride out the storm.

After watching the hurricane coverage on the news for the next 2-3 weeks straight, it just boggled our minds the amount of damage that hurricane did! Everyone's cars were ruined that parked at the port.

So I would say sailing during hurricane season is not a problem (as long as you're flexible with your itinerary) -- it's what you're leaving back on land that could be a problem!

For your piece of mind, I would make sure you get travel insurance as well as make sure you have full coverage on your vehicle if you're parking it at the port.

I sail in mid to late September every year, the peak of the hurricane season, and have yet to have a cruise disrupted or encounter any overly exciting seas.

Will it happen? Sure, eventually I'll be on a cruise that gets a port or two canceled but that won't bother me. For me the cruise is the voyage, not the destination.

I think you're far more likely to encounter high seas during the winter when fronts come barreling down from the north into the Gulf and the Caribbean. I've seen forecasts of 18+ feet in the winter time routinely...

We decided to try it since I got such a good deal on the price. I won't do it again. I worry too much and it was agony for the 2 weeks ahead of time checking the radar and weather channel several times a day. We hit the only decent week between the 4 storms churning around and reeking havoc on the gulf coast and on Haiti. One of my co-workers was scheduled on the Ecstacy and there 5 day cruise became a 3 day cruise to nowhere. We decided we will take a cruise in February or March and maybe take a land vacation in the late summer and fall. It is just so much better to not have to worry about it. If you are not a worrier than it might be fine for you.

What does everyone think about cruising in Sept. during hurricane season? Are the prices worth it? We don't really care what ports we visit so if we get re-routed that's not a problem. What about rain-a lot? Sun? Thanks!

If you don't care about being re routed or maybe no ports at all......go for it.

I won't take that chance....

I haven't yet because the timing doesn't work for me. But when I can go at any time, I would if the price was right. I wouldn't have my heart set on seeing any particular port and would be happy to spend the entire time at sea.

If you don't care about being re routed or maybe no ports at all......go for it.

I won't take that chance....

I could have cared less that we missed the Caymans. I did care that I lost everything in my car and my car. The folks who had electronic equipment, we had all my sister's CD collection in the car, food, coolers, stuff like that that wasnt covered unless you ALSO had homeowner's insurance, that auto insurance didnt cover, might differ about the only thing to worry about is missing a port.

Luckily my storm damage was almost as good as my collission coverage. Never even looked at storm coverage on my auto policy or knew that the deductible might be different. I also didnt know that the contents arent covered by your auto policy.

We've been on 2 cruises during hurricaine season and both were outstanding. There was some rain on one of them, but not enough to really affect our trip. I'm certainly interested in cruising during September and will definitely do so again in the future. The key is just remembering that plans can change at any time and evaluating your port parking/transportation options.

What does everyone think about cruising in Sept. during hurricane season? Are the prices worth it? We don't really care what ports we visit so if we get re-routed that's not a problem. What about rain-a lot? Sun? Thanks!

Good time to cruise on the Pacific side. I stay away from the Caribbean from June - Jan. While others have cruised during Sept and made it out ok, I'm the type of person that will wait 4 hours to get on a new ride a Disneyworld and when I get there the ride breaks down. So if I took a chance with cruising in Sept, Im sure I would meet up with a level 7 Hurricane.

Fred

It is the only time we have cruised, so I would say it is worth it. But understand since it is hurricane season they can and will re-route for your safety and not for any other reason.

Since you are unconcerned with WHERE you wind up sailing to, I'd say the deep discounted prices of September are for you.....

We have done it twice and will be sailing next September, I'm sure.

We do it, since that is the time with the fewest kids onboard.

You have absolutely no worries as far as weather is concerned, once you are on the ship.

The weather concerns come up with the worry and stress before the cruise, as you obsessively watch the "Tropical Update" on TWC at :50 minutes past every hour.:D

You have to worry about your upcoming ports getting hit. (our Glory cruise lost Costa Maya and Belize less than 2 weeks before our cruise due to hurricane, but we enjoyed the changes to the itinerary)

Then you have to worry about your Florida or Gulf port getting hit

I usually worry the most the week of the cruise if there is any chance of a hurricane hitting Florida that week and either moving up our cruise a day or two or delaying our cruise a day or two, to avoid the incoming storm.

Then like somebody already pointed out from firsthand experience this past year. You have to worry about your vehicle (if you drive) while you are out to sea.

Living here in Charleston, SC, we are always on the lookout for hurricanes ALL season long, so the constant checking is a normal part of life from late July to mid October anyway.

I say go for it and spend the money you save on your cruise fare, for your libations all week.

Happy sailing.

Bill

I have cruised during huricane season and even been caught in a hurricane where you never imagined there would be one - in Canada in late September. The captain just stayed in Quebec for an extra day - not a bad place to stay. We never hit rough seas and just had to put up with a little extra wind and rain in port.

At least on a cruise they have the option of rerouting around it. Imagaine booking an anniversary, birthday, or holiday in a Caribbean port and having the whole vacation washed away.

Of course, if your are concerned about the possiblity, why not try a cruise in the Mediterrean or even better a river cruise up the Danube.

As you can see I am a big cruise fan.

Well the prices are certainly worth it if that is really your question. You say you do not care if ports are changed or not visited.... seems like the concern is weather and Sun vs. rain more than anything. Pop up showers are possible in the caribbean any time of year as are storms, but the captain of the vessel is not going to put you or his ship in harms way ever...and warmth will be there for certain. So bottom line... is it worth it??? It's really what worries you the most that you need to get answered and then YOU make that decision. For us... IT'S WORTH IT !!! :cool:

We had friends on the Conquest during Ike. Their cars were totaled at the port in Galveston. They also were dropped off at the port in New Orleans and left by Carnival. They offered no transportation to the airport or flights home. I don't expect flights home but a little help to the airport would have been nice. Just be aware that you may not make it back into your port and will be on your own to get back to your original port. That being said, the cruise lines don't control the weather so I don't kow how much they really "owe" you.:confused:

We have mostly sailed during September to get good rates and hopefully the fewest amount of kids (cruised with mine twice, but they're adults now and on their own :)). This last cruise aboard the Triumph was the first significant weather impact we've faced. Ike followed us across the Gulf of Mexico, but its main impact was a cancellation of some water excursions in Cozumel and the rough seas at Grand Cayman which made us miss that stop altogether. We did get to meet with cruisers from the Liberty (?) which had been diverted from its eastern itinerary.

I would book again in September (probably late Sept), but some of my landlubber friends have vowed to never sail in hurricane season again. :D It wasn't that bad. We had one day of really choppy water. DW took to her bed for about four hours and we lost one first-time cruiser for the entire day.

I must say I followed the weather channels before and DURING that cruise. The final kicker was we ran into IKE again when we returned home to Ohio. It, or its remnants, caused lots of damage from high winds and torrential rain.

I love cruising in September/October for reasons mentioned here, the low prices, the decrease in children. Also the ports are still warm, the water is excellent to get into (we also like to cruise in March and the water was dang cold in Cayman, I couldn't snorkle, of course I forced myself in to play with the stingrays, they rock) the snorkling is good.

We haven't had our cruise messed up or rained out, however I certainly know the possibility is there and it would not ruin my cruise, I can also entertain myself inside. If the ports are ports I MUST go to, HAVE to see, then I do it during a season other than hurricane season.

Happy sailing!! Carole

Archived