Dover to London with luggage

CanWeGoYet?

We will be debarking our TA cruise in may of next year, staying a night in Dover and then on to London for a couple nights. I had been planning on taking the train from Dover Priory, but we will have a lot of luggage. At least 3 (possibly 4) suitcases and 2 carry ons between the two of us. Starting to worry that this won't be a great plan, with this much luggage. We will be moving on to london on a saturday, so at least no commuter traffic - but still.

Is the train do-able with this much luggage, or would it make more sense to take a bus? I was looking forward to the train ride itself, but don't want to do it if the luggage will make it impractical. Our hotel in london is close to Victoria train station.

:)We did Gatwick to Dover in Sept. by train with 1 large suitcase and 21"carry on each and it was rough an our route is shorter than the one you are planning.. there are no luggage trollies like you see at the airports...You might want to look into National Express ..When in Dover dont miss the War Tunnel Tour and maybe a bus ride to Canterbury because it is only a 30 min ride and you get that bus at the Dover bus depot in town..I think the 1st tunnels tour is at 10am which gives you lots of time...

there are no luggage trollies like you see at the airports...

There most certainly are at Victoria. You need a 1 pound coin as a deposit' date=' but trolleys are quite plentiful, and available right as you exit the train on the platform.[/color']

I went to London on a working tourist visa once. Had 2 very large, very heavy suitcases with me, plus a carry-on and a purse. When I came home, took the commuter train into Victoria, then taxi to Paddington where I grabbed the Heathrow Express. I did it, but it wasn't particularly enjoyable. Once I hit Victoria, however, I was OK as I was able to grab a trolley.

I guess it's useless to preach the joys of packing light? My personal philosophy is to never take more than you can comfortably carry. I usually take only 1 suitcase plus carry-on; it's amazing what you can get into the suitcase by rolling clothing/organizing everything. Having said that, if you had 2 suitcases each that were on wheels, that would work too, and you could probably just about swing the train.

Of course, if it were me, I would probably rent a car for 2 days and return it somewhere near my London hotel, but then I've been there several times and driving in London doesn't intimidate me. It's really no worse than New York, except for the fact that you're on the other side of the road...:D

Well....for a 14 day cruise, with 1 night in miami pre & 3 nights in England post, 2 suitcases *is* packing light for me! :) I know I bring too much, but it all seems indispensible once the packing begins. The suitcases are on wheels, so is the carry on. Maybe the train is still a possibility. Is it fairly commonplace for passengers to board the train with multiple suitcases?

Being an American tourist is enough, I would prefer to avoid looking like a hillbilly as well. :p

Well....for a 14 day cruise, with 1 night in miami pre & 3 nights in England post, 2 suitcases *is* packing light for me! :) I know I bring too much, but it all seems indispensible once the packing begins. The suitcases are on wheels, so is the carry on.

Make lists, and be ruthless. Remember, there is usually some sort of laundry service on board the ship. And I'm a great believer in mix&match outfits, especially for formal nights - a couple of full-length skirts, and a series of sparkly tops (which pack like a dream!). I could do the trip on 1 suitcase, but that said, if they're on wheels and you can manipulate them on your own you should be OK. I've never been to Dover Priory but you'll probably have to do some stairs at some point, that will be your greatest challenge. It can be done, just needs a bit of patience.

Maybe the train is still a possibility. Is it fairly commonplace for passengers to board the train with multiple suitcases?

Absolutely. Not only on the train, but the Underground as well. This is a nation that takes public transport.

Soo... I guess I haven't tempted you with a car rental? Thought just occured to me that you needn't drive in London at all - just return the car at Gatwick and take the train up to Victoria. Would make touring easier too. Just a thought...:)

There is a laundry service, but ala carte on this cruise line - no self serve laundry at all. I know I'll use it out of necessity, but it's really going to add up if everything needs washing more than once - dry cleaning prices are reasonable but not laundering.

Nah, not too jazzed about driving in the UK. You are far more brave than I am! I won't even drive in southern california on vacation, unless I've taken a road trip there. I can barely handle a straight shot down I-5 to anaheim, but add unknown territory & other side of the road to the mix & it would not be a pretty sight.

You are right though, it would make it a lot more simple getting to london.

I believe my brother and I are on the same cruise you mentioned. We also want to exit in Dover and continue to London.

Handling our own luggage on the train is an issue, however I am also concerned about the weight restrictions on the bus as we may have picked up a few gifts during our cruise.

Perhaps there is a van that we can share if enough fellow passengers are interested.

I believe my brother and I are on the same cruise you mentioned. We also want to exit in Dover and continue to London.

Handling our own luggage on the train is an issue, however I am also concerned about the weight restrictions on the bus as we may have picked up a few gifts during our cruise.

Perhaps there is a van that we can share if enough fellow passengers are interested.

Possibly, we are staying a night in Dover and then going on to London on saturday.

FYI I had to get clearance for us to debark the ship early - they call it "downlining" and there is a department that handles it. You probably have already done all that, but just in case it would be terrible to wait until the cruise and have a hassle on board.

I didn't know there was a luggage weight restriction on the train or bus. I know it is very strict for our return flight from london. 40# instead of the #50 we are allowed flying to miami. If my suitcases weigh too much I may have to have things packaged up in london & mailed home.

Oh- we are on the Century sailing from miami April 25. Have you signed into the roll call & CC party yet? Welcome!

Thanks for the information on downlining.

Looks like we are not on the same cruise afterall.

I am on a Holland America transatlantic cruise from New York to Rotterdam. We dock in Dover on the next to last day and I want to travel to London that same day (May 30).

There is no luggage restriction on the train.

However, the bus (National Express) limits passengers to two suitcases each - not to exceed 20 kg (44 pounds) per suitcase. It is up to the driver if they enforce the weight restriction and probably has to do with how much luggage happens there is on your bus. Last year I took the National Express bus from Heathrow to Southampton and the driver did not check weight.

Archived