QM2 King's Court Dinner Buffet

srussell

Good Day,

I have read many threads on this subject but I am a bit confused.

I know that the King's Court turns into several different dining venues in the evening. Some threads say that there are four different restaurants and one buffet and some say that there are only the four restaurants.

My question is.....is there a buffet every evening in the King's Court? Does the buffet require reservations?

Thank you for the information.

SRussell

Good Day,

I know that the King's Court turns into several different dining venues in the evening. Some threads say that there are four different restaurants and one buffet and some say that there are only the four restaurants.

My question is.....is there a buffet every evening in the King's Court? Does the buffet require reservations?

SRussell

SRussell, there are four restaurants in the King's Court. The buffet rotates between the Carvery, the Lotus, and La Piazza. Each night, two of the restaurants offer an A la Carte Dinner with waiter service, while the third restaurant is a buffet. You do not need to make reservations at the buffet. The Chef's Galley is never a buffet and always requires a reservation. Enjoy your time on the QM2.

Beth

Good Day,

SRussell

I recently completed Queen Mary 2's November 21-29 Caribbean cruise.

King's Court works as follows: there are 4 dining venues... La Piazza (Italian), Lotus (Pan Asian), The Carvery (Roasts) and Chef's Galley (limited seating, cooking demo).

Chef's Galley always requires a booking. The remaining 3 venues alternate... 2 require booking while 1 remains a buffet. For example, on the cruise one night Piazza and Lotus required bookings, while Carvery remained a buffet. The next night, Piazza was buffet, while Lotus & Carvery required bookings. And so on.

During the day, Piazza, Lotus, Carvery are buffets.

I did not dine in any of the King's Court venues during the evenings. With the exception of 1 lunch in the Britannia (slooooooow service) and 1 lunch in Todd English, I took all breakfasts and lunches (when not ashore) in King's Court.

I took all my dinners in Britannia where I was fortunate to have a well situated table for 2 as requested, second sitting, and two great waiters (Filipinos) and an excellent sommelier (Hungarian). I was invited by the captain to dine at his table one evening, truly memorable.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. Enjoy your time on Queen Mary 2.

Bobby

Thank you both for making it clear. We plan on dining in the Britannia most evenings, however we do like to know that there is one alternative available that does not require reservations.

Snow on the ground here today in the Midwest. We can hardly wait till we will be in the warm Caribbean.

Thanks again

SRussell

I recently completed Queen Mary 2's November 21-29 Caribbean cruise.

King's Court works as follows: there are 4 dining venues... La Piazza (Italian), Lotus (Pan Asian), The Carvery (Roasts) and Chef's Galley (limited seating, cooking demo).

Chef's Galley always requires a booking. The remaining 3 venues alternate... 2 require booking while 1 remains a buffet. For example, on the cruise one night Piazza and Lotus required bookings, while Carvery remained a buffet. The next night, Piazza was buffet, while Lotus & Carvery required bookings. And so on.

During the day, Piazza, Lotus, Carvery are buffets.

I did not dine in any of the King's Court venues during the evenings. With the exception of 1 lunch in the Britannia (slooooooow service) and 1 lunch in Todd English, I took all breakfasts and lunches (when not ashore) in King's Court.

I took all my dinners in Britannia where I was fortunate to have a well situated table for 2

as requested, second sitting, and two great waiters (Filipinos) and an excellent sommelier (Hungarian). I was invited by the captain to dine at his table one evening, truly memorable.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions. Enjoy your time on Queen Mary

Bobby

Did you dine with Captain Wells the first or second formal night? We were there the second night and it was amazing!

Did you dine with Captain Wells the first or second formal night? We were there the second night and it was amazing!

Hi SkyKing,

We dined at Captain Wells' table on the night of the Cunard World Club party (the semi-formal night). I had been recognized earlier that evening with an 'honorable mention' for my 300+ days with Cunard at the party in the Queens Room.

I enjoyed being at his table, although it was a bit too large at 12 for sustained conversation with the captain. I had even more of an occasion to speak at length with him a few nights later at the senior officers' party in G32 to which we had been invited. Very pleasant man.

Glad that you enjoyed the cruise, too.

Cheers,

Bobby

Hi SkyKing,

We dined at Captain Wells' table on the night of the Cunard World Club party (the semi-formal night). I had been recognized earlier that evening with an 'honorable mention' for my 300+ days with Cunard at the party in the Queens Room.

I enjoyed being at his table, although it was a bit too large at 12 for sustained conversation with the captain. I had even more of an occasion to speak at length with him a few nights later at the senior officers' party in G32 to which we had been invited. Very pleasant man.

Glad that you enjoyed the cruise, too.

Cheers,

Bobby

Unfortunately we did not make it that night to the World Club Party. The senior officers party was great, you are right that the table was rather large, but my wife and I were lucky to sit next to him, and we held conversation with him the whole evening, he was very pleasant and a joy to speak to as well, he is almost done on the QM2 and moving to P&O after his holiday...Interesting that Captains from Princess, Cunard, and P&O all share ships.

We are on the Christmas/New Year cruise, QM2, does anyone know who the Captain and Cruise Director will be. Cunard have not yet updated their website with the information.

In an email from a friend who is currently sailing on the QM2, I was told that Captain Nick Bates got on the ship at the beginning of this cruise and will take over on December 9. We sailed with Captain Bates earlier this year and I thought he was delightful. I don't know about the Cruise Director, but will ask my friend.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Beth

Interesting that Captains from Princess, Cunard, and P&O all share ships.

Yes, interesting and to the dismiss of several officers and loyal Cunard guests alike.

It is something Carnival introduced a few years ago. Old Cunard officers were forced to work on Princess ships and not everbody did like this. At the same time Princess captain overtook Cunard ships even the QE2 - and several guests were, at least, irritated by the habits they brought with them.

One step more away from an individual character of Cunard.

Thanks Beth for the information. The cruise director when we were on QM2 in October was David Pepper who was not nearly as good as Ray Rouse. Just hoping that Ray returns for our cruise.

Marilyn

David Pepper was on our sailing, and will be leaving the ship to also go to P&O after the sailing it is on now.

Thanks Beth for the information. The cruise director when we were on QM2 in October was David Pepper who was not nearly as good as Ray Rouse. Just hoping that Ray returns for our cruise.

Marilyn

My friend reports that the "rumor" on the ship is that Ray Rouse will return for your cruise. Keep your fingers crossed that the rumor is true!

Beth

• 3 weeks later...
Does the daily newsletter tell you which restaurant is having the buffet that night?

Yes.

What is the dress code for the King's Court restaurants at night?

While an evening's requested attire is for all public areas of the ship, it is not likely that you would be turned away from the alternative dining areas of Kings Court, and definately not from the buffet, for not adhering.

Archived