Excursions through RCI or Private

borg1of2

When we first did our first cruise we learned that you had better/different options and could save a good amount of money if you booked your excursions privately, or at the pier, compared to that of the cruise line. This proved to be very true for our Alaska cruises.

However, as I've been researching for our upcoming Carribbean/Panama Canal cruise I have noticed that the options and pricing between private and the cruise line are not that different and don't seem to save much money. We are younger cruisers so we are usually looking at the excursions that are active in nature.

Is my observation true for the carribbean or am I just not looking in the right place?

Scott

When we first did our first cruise we learned that you had better/different options and could save a good amount of money if you booked your excursions privately, or at the pier, compared to that of the cruise line. This proved to be very true for our Alaska cruises.

However, as I've been researching for our upcoming Carribbean/Panama Canal cruise I have noticed that the options and pricing between private and the cruise line are not that different and don't seem to save much money. We are younger cruisers so we are usually looking at the excursions that are active in nature.

Is my observation true for the carribbean or am I just not looking in the right place?

Scott

I've only done the Caribbean and have always saved quite a bit doing private. Another benefit...is less crowds.

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the ports of call sections and that is where I am getting there are really no differences.

Jamaica - Zip Line - Cruise and Private are the same price ~$90 plus or minus depending on which you choose private or cruise

Jamaica - Rafting - Cruise and Private again are the same price ~$45

Grand Cayman - Sting Ray City - Checked the private and while there were a few price differences, what we wanted which was a basic go out and come back, not spend the whole time going to other snorkel, the price was the same, possibly only difference was size of the boat.

Grand Cayme - 2 Tank Scuba - Cruise and Private were the same at ~$95

So, I just wasn't seeing the type of excursions that saved a lot of money.

Number one is the price differential

BUT!

More importantly, is the infrastructure of the locale.

For example. Doing a partial Panama Canal cruise. If you were to decide to do white water rafting in Costa Rica....you need to ask yourself:

What if the local operator has a flat tire, can I find optinal transportation back to the ship?

I picked this one because you said you were active (and the rafting is a rush)...but I would never do this one on my own. I want the comfort of knowing that the ship would not depart without me.

Or..

Cozumel: Very well developed infrastructure, great place to go it on your own.

So use price but also use good sense....

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the ports of call sections and that is where I am getting there are really no differences.

Jamaica - Zip Line - Cruise and Private are the same price ~$90 plus or minus depending on which you choose private or cruise

Jamaica - Rafting - Cruise and Private again are the same price ~$45

Grand Cayman - Sting Ray City - Checked the private and while there were a few price differences, what we wanted which was a basic go out and come back, not spend the whole time going to other snorkel, the price was the same, possibly only difference was size of the boat.

Grand Cayme - 2 Tank Scuba - Cruise and Private were the same at ~$95

So, I just wasn't seeing the type of excursions that saved a lot of money.

For Grand Cayman there are a couple very well known operators who offer excursions to the stingrays. In fact, trying to remember off the top of my head, I think just the trip to the stingrays and back with one snorkeling stop is only $20-30 pp with a private company. Not only will you get more personalized service, but there will be less people on the excursion.

Scott

I've been looking at the same stuff Scott, and finding the same thing you have. Many of the prices look about the same. Whether the quality of the tours would be different remains to be seen I suppose.

The only place I am sure I will take a private company will be Grand Cayman.

I agree with you about Alaska. We booked on our own and had better prices and smaller crowds.

But now that we're going to St. Thomas, I have booked the BOSS Underwater Tour and on our second trip B2B, the Helmet Dive. The BOSS people told me to go ahead and book through the cruise ship since the price was the same. Since the time of the trip makes it seem that it will be a little close getting back to the ship on time for departure, I feel more comfortable letting the ship be responsible for me.:)

We're not beach people, so I can't comment about that type of activity, but it seems to me it would be cheaper just to take (share?) a taxi to go to the beach.

One other consideration: I've been reading how some of these ports (Labadee and Samana being two) have been missed because of bad weather. I would hate to lose over $100 for a tour I missed because the ship could not dock. If I book with the ship, I'm covered. If you prebook direct with the company, be sure to have a guarantee for such circumstances.

That said, we do many excursions on our own - just book in town. It's a mixed bag with lots to consider each way.

Number one is the price differential

BUT!

More importantly, is the infrastructure of the locale.

For example. Doing a partial Panama Canal cruise. If you were to decide to do white water rafting in Costa Rica....you need to ask yourself:

What if the local operator has a flat tire, can I find optinal transportation back to the ship?

I picked this one because you said you were active (and the rafting is a rush)...but I would never do this one on my own. I want the comfort of knowing that the ship would not depart without me.

Or..

Cozumel: Very well developed infrastructure, great place to go it on your own.

So use price but also use good sense....

Excellent advice! We do both. Some of the best tours I have ever taken have been through the ship. However, some of the best tours I have ever taken have been private!;) While you can usually save money on a private excursion price is never the deciding factor for us. We base private vs ship tour on quality, what options are available and our own comfort level.

My general rule of thumb is this: If the tour is a long way from the ship, is long and there is not more than an hour or two between the end of the tour and the ship leaving I take a ship tour. For example: We went to Tulum on our Cozumel stop in 2005. Because the tour was long and a long distance from the ship we booked through the ship. Because of circumstances beyond the operator's control we returned to the ship after our scheduled sail time. The ship did wait for us because we were on a ship's tour.

Another example: We went to Casa de Campo, DR this year. There is very little information about this port and the infrastructure is lacking. In this case we booked through the ship also. I must say that the Countryside Safari Tour we took was one of the best we have been on either private or through the ship.:)

On the other hand, we have had more varied experiences using private tours in many ports and saved a few dollars along the way. Private tours will usually give you a more personal touring experience with a smaller group, although not always. Among the best have been our Stingray City tour in Grand Cayman, Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan, and Eli Eco Tour in Antigua. The Eli Eco Tour broke my one rule about timing as it returned to the ship just before the "all aboard" but because of their excellent reputation for being on time, the fact they have 2 boats working the area (ready assistance), and the fact that there wasn't a comparable tour available through the ship I felt comfortable booking with them. I have found that the more experience I have had with tours of all types the more comfortable I am in choosing where to take private tours and where to stick with ship tours. I have already booked all private tours for our next cruise. It just so happens that they are the ones that worked the best for us this time.

For Grand Cayman there are a couple very well known operators who offer excursions to the stingrays. In fact, trying to remember off the top of my head, I think just the trip to the stingrays and back with one snorkeling stop is only $20-30 pp with a private company. Not only will you get more personalized service, but there will be less people on the excursion.

As noted above, the Stingray City Private Tour we took was excellent! We passed a catamaran from the ship that was loaded and the place they were on the Stingway Sandbar was so crowded. They could not possibly have had the personal attention from the guides we enjoyed.;)

Ultimately, in order to have the best time you need to do what feels the most comfortable for you. Enjoy! You're on vacation.:D

In Panama, if you want to do an excursion, you will HAVE to do it through the ship. But, you don't even need to take one and spend that money. While doing the transit (or partial transit) you will see and learn all there is!

On Labadee, it's only ship's excursions, as well--and they are more of the "watersport" thing, instead of sight-seeing. And, they are "follow the leader"--you can't go off on your own.

In Panama, if you want to do an excursion, you will HAVE to do it through the ship. But, you don't even need to take one and spend that money. While doing the transit (or partial transit) you will see and learn all there is!

On Labadee, it's only ship's excursions, as well--and they are more of the "watersport" thing, instead of sight-seeing. And, they are "follow the leader"--you can't go off on your own.

Yes, I agree about Labadee. We did the snorkeling excursion this past April. While I have heard others have had a great experience ours was just ok. Very few fish and a lot of silt. In addition the current was too strong that day to be able to really stay over an object to take a picture. But, snorkeling tends to be the luck of the draw. Weather and currents affect it greatly. It may be wonderful one day and not so wonderful the next. There were a lot of us and we kept bumping into one another. That is one reason I usually prefer a private snorkeling tour to a ship one - sheer numbers!:eek:

Labadee is really all about the beach. Unless you are really into jet skis, etc. I would just relax and try to grab a hammock! The water is beautiful and it is a relaxing day.

A previous poster mentioned missed ports. Most reputable private operators will refund any money you paid when a port is missed. Especially those recommended on CC. Their business is based on those recommendations and they know it! They will also not charge your credit card when you submitted one as a guarantee. But I still check with them to be sure and get that in writing (e-mail) if it is not specified on their website.

We did the Canopy zipline in Jamaica last February and it was fabulous fun! But I understood that it was only available through the cruise line as RCI books the whole operation that day. I loved that excursion.

em

We have had great success booking independently. We have all heard the supposed risks of booking on your own, but if you do your homework, the result can be some great experiences. This summer, on our 14 day Italian Med cruise, we booked independently in every port but one and had excellent experiences with each. The tours were all personal and tayleored to what we wanted - I am not a "big bus" person.

We have also had great experience in the Caribbean, from private boat charters to more active tours.

I strongly recommend checking out private tours in Grand Cayman. Most of the ships Stingray City tours are large and crowded. Grand Cayman is a small island and once you are out of the port area, traffic isn't much of a problem, I wouldn't worry much about getting stuck in traffic and missing the ship (chances are that if you're stuck in traffic, then the ship's tours are stuck in traffic, too).

We have done private tours on St Maarten, St Thomas, Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Coz, St Kitts, and Puerto Rico and all have been great. I am less confident in the Dominican Republic and Belize.

A few tips when going on private tours...

Try to go early to leave a little time in the afternoon for piece of mind and shopping.

If you do not have a cell with international access, confirm with your tour operator that your tour guide will have a means of contacting their companies and the port (via cell phone, walkie talkie, etc) while on the tour.

Always have the port information sheet you get with your Cruise Compass that provides contact info for the ship's port agent. If in the rare chance you are delayed, you or your tour operator can contact them.

Enjoy!!

I've been on two independent tours in Belize and both ended up with broken down vehicles ... one story was much more nerve-wracking than the other. The rule about not straying hours away on an indpendent tour is probably a good one.

It really just comes down to what you are comfortble with. Booking through the ship usually does offer some security and also guaranteed debarkation if you are at a tender port.

Couple of points. Some of the more popular one-of-a-kind excursions that are part of the ship's program have agreements with the cruise line to specifically not offer those same excursions privately for any less money when those ships are in port. Most of these are the "active" excursions. Secondly, don't discount the smaller groups. With that comes more flexibility. Most of the ship's excursions have very rigid time and place restrictions. The smaller groups, especially those just for you, are much more flexible and allow longer periods where you have interest and skipping places where there is little or no interest.

And if you are ever on a Mediterranean cruise, the price differences are staggering. We saved the price of a another cruise by doing the very same things on our own.

Peter

And if you are ever on a Mediterranean cruise, the price differences are staggering. We saved the price of a another cruise by doing the very same things on our own.

Peter

For me that is what is key, which is why I was asking the question origianlly. I just wasn't seeing significant price differences when comparing private versus cruise for the caribbean ports. I too am not a big bus person and would seek out private in situations where that is what would be offered. I think my only excursion of any concern is the Sting Ray city and I think we'll be fine with the RCCL excursion as it's the first thing in the AM and since we really want to do that plus a 2 tank dive it worked out best for us.

I really appreciate all of the replies and comments. Thanks and Happy Cruising to All

Scott

Archived