17 yr old get in Dragon's Lair?

Would they allow a 17 year old in with parents? Our DD turns 18 a month after we cruise. We wouldn't allow her to drink...actually...I don't drink either and am definitely over 18...lol. She enjoys the music and dancing.

Just a thought.

Would they allow a 17 year old in with parents? Our DD turns 18 a month after we cruise. We wouldn't allow her to drink...actually...I don't drink either and am definitely over 18...lol. She enjoys the music and dancing.

Just a thought.

In our experience, that would not be allowed. They were very strictly obeying the policy that states 18 or older to enter, 21 or older to drink. They checked sea passes and if someone looked underage they asked to see drivers liscence or some other type of photo id.

Just a thought.

oh we agree! I feel like our son is trapped being 17 on this cruise ... not alot offered for him :cool:

oh we agree! I feel like our son is trapped being 17 on this cruise ... not alot offered for him :cool:

At 17, he can still get into Fuel and the Living Room. My family was on the Mariner in June with our 17 yr old son and he went to Fuel late night. From either 10 or 11 until 1 am, only the 15-17 yr olds have access to Fuel.

We didn't have any trouble with our DD going up to the Viking Crown with us or any of the other areas that had alcohol. They did offer dancing up in the VC on several nights, but it tends to be more ballroom style, not the disco/party music that she would like.

Maybe once onboard it would be something to inquire at the desk about. I may ask as long as she is with us, would they let her. Doesn't hurt to ask.

We didn't have any trouble with our DD going up to the Viking Crown with us or any of the other areas that had alcohol. They did offer dancing up in the VC on several nights, but it tends to be more ballroom style, not the disco/party music that she would like.

Yup, that's what we found ridiculous. There were other bar areas with music, such as the viking crown lounge, where any age was allowed in, though I believe after a certain hour it was restricted, but then again I could be mixing it up with another lounge.

Here is what my Cruise Compass states from the 11/02/08 sailing of the Freedom.

The Crypt - Guest must be 18 years or older for admission. Photo ID will be required if you appear to be under 18. They do offer family time in the Crypt on certain nights from 8:00-9:00 PM.

Olive or Twist - Viking Crown Lounge - Is for adults 18 and older after 10:00 PM.

Thanks everyone ... we're just stuck ... when you have two sons that enjoy hanging with one another and one is an adult .. well some of the time :p and the other is still a 'teen' but very mature; but neither can GO into the other's 'scene' .

Guess they'll just make their own scene ;)

I feel your pain, just last year my 17 and 1/2 yr old could NOT get into the late nite dance clubs with her older siblings, she was miserable! This year she is 18 and went and had a blast!! She couldn't stand not being old enough to dance with her siblings (she could care less about the drinking she just loves to dance, but until she was 18 it was a NO GO).:mad:

I feel your pain, just last year my 17 and 1/2 yr old could NOT get into the late nite dance clubs with her older siblings, she was miserable! This year she is 18 and went and had a blast!! She couldn't stand not being old enough to dance with her siblings (she could care less about the drinking she just loves to dance, but until she was 18 it was a NO GO).:mad:

But you know, that's just the way it is until you're the "age of majority". I'm sure that all of us went through the same thing when we were under 18 (or 21).

We were on the Mariner last Christmas and my 17 year old had a blast hanging out at Fuel with others his age. He even spent a week in Montreal this past summer with someone he met there. Since they shouldn't be drinking anyway it is a great place for 15-17 year olds.

i was on the mariner of the seas november 2007 and was 17 at the time, and they did NOT let me in, they are very strict and were quite rude, the person i was with was 25 and we wanted to dance, LOL, when asked where we could dance together they sent us up to the teen club:( and there was no one there, so we went to boleros. but now im 18 and ready to cruise again to finally be able to get into the club:D you have to show your sea pass at the enterance and it comes up with your picture and age and if under 17 your not allowed, but give it a try it could've changed

If they bend the rules for one then might as well throw the doors open to all! I am totally all FOR ADULTS only nightclubs - we have all been there - hopefully they do enforce the rules as it does seem they do. My dh s niece got i d on our last cruise - loving it she is in her 30s! Sorry but we all have had kids and been kids - turning 18 then gives the key of the door - to the nightclubs in this case!

On Navigator or Explorer we just walked past the security guys and they didn't care.

Of course, once we got in and found it was empty, we quickly reverted to Fuel :P

I assume if people were there they would have actually stopped us.

I'm 18 this time around so i'll have no problem getting in, though I don't think i'll actually bother.

the past several years we have only sailed carnival and when the kareoke bar closed the 18 and up dance club is crazy packed and stays that way until the wee hours of the morning! I don't know about RCL night clubs but we are about to find out Dec 19th on the Monarch! We will have 7 of our kids 18 and up with us, they won't care if anyone else is there or not that will party and dance the night away togeather! LOL:D

On Vision this past April, we had a few 16 and 17 years olds, after 11:00 PM, they were kicked out, even though they were with us..... Later, one snuck back in... they caught her and said that they would take her off of the ship if she did it again (tuff luv), lol... They were trying to scare her straight, lol (I talked to the security guard later, he said that they sometimes say that because they don't want kids/teens waundering late night by themselves).

When I sailed on I believe it was the Explorer a few years ago, I was 18 and had a valid driver's license and STILL almost didn't get let into Jester's or the Lair or whatever it was on the ship. They had had some problems, apparently, with 17 year-olds trying to enter with their 18 yr-old friends' IDs, and I fell victim to an overzealous bouncer. He inspected my ID for a minute and a half, told me that the person in the ID wasn't me (the picture had been taken probably six months ago), and finally let me in when I started getting angry. :cool:

So from my experience, they've been quite strict about it. That's the only time I ever actually had trouble getting in, but there's almost always been a crewmember checking ID's at the door when I've sailed. Possibly they could be less strict in the off-season when there are fewer minors sailing.

When I sailed on I believe it was the Explorer a few years ago, I was 18 and had a valid driver's license and STILL almost didn't get let into Jester's or the Lair or whatever it was on the ship. They had had some problems, apparently, with 17 year-olds trying to enter with their 18 yr-old friends' IDs, and I fell victim to an overzealous bouncer. He inspected my ID for a minute and a half, told me that the person in the ID wasn't me (the picture had been taken probably six months ago), and finally let me in when I started getting angry. :cool:

So from my experience, they've been quite strict about it. That's the only time I ever actually had trouble getting in, but there's almost always been a crewmember checking ID's at the door when I've sailed. Possibly they could be less strict in the off-season when there are fewer minors sailing.

Didn't your seapass have your age when he scanned it? My son just gave his seapass and when his profile came up, they let him in.

Archived