Formal wear changes due to air lines

How nice of you to offer me instructions on booking my future vacations. By the way, solicitations by travel agents are against the rules on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Just as people who believe the dress code should be respected do not have their meal ruined by someone ignoring the dress code, we also do not abandon cruising with Royal Caribbean because some people ignore the dress code.

Wow if it ruined my meal......I certainly would go somewhere else;)

i would certainly dress as requested .
Good for you, congrats!
I was just saying that many people like myself do not get that many invitations to such affairs.
I can easily see why, must be lowly down there in the holler.
I am a casual guy. I have casual friends and family, we do casual things.
And all this time I thought you were a woman, being that you have that masculine nickname and all. Learn something new every day.

i would certainly dress as requested .

I was just saying that many people like myself do not get that many invitations to such affairs.

I am a casual guy. I have casual friends and family, we do casual things.

Believe me we are casual too!! My DH is in construction and I a administrative assistant (although now self employed) and we do not get invited to that many either.

I was only trying to point out that if we would dress as requested to an event at home why can't we dress as requested/suggested when on vacation also. Yes, I know we are on "vacation", but to me it's all part of the experience. And because we don't get to dress up at home, it's kind of fun to get the chance to do so.

I'm not say that anyone is right or wrong in their thinking of how they should dress on formal night. I'm only sharing my view.

By its actions (or lack thereof), RCI has quite clearly demonstrated what constitutes acceptable attire on formal nights on their ships. Since that's not likely to change in any direction other than less formal, I would suggest that anyone who finds it important that everyone dress formally on formal nights choose another line to sail on.

And I, in turn, would suggest that anyone who finds it necessary to dress casually every night in the dining room find a cruise line that doesn't advertise formal nights or find somewhere elso to eat dinner when on a RCCL cruise on their formal nights.

Until Royal Caribbean decides to follow NCL and not advertise formal nights, it will continue to be selfish, rude behavior for passengers to ignore the suggested attire. There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of RCCL's actions or lack of action.

It's just a guess, but I'd bet the price of my next cruise that you keep your cell phone on during movies. After all, you paid to get in!!!

Peter

How nice of you to offer me instructions on booking my future vacations. By the way, solicitations by travel agents are against the rules on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Just as people who believe the dress code should be respected do not have their meal ruined by someone ignoring the dress code, we also do not abandon cruising with Royal Caribbean because some people ignore the dress code.

Then, I guess it's fortunate for me that I'm not a travel agent, nor do I play one on TV.

Good for you, congrats!

I can easily see why, must be lowly down there in the holler.

And all this time I thought you were a woman, being that you have that masculine nickname and all. Learn something new every day.

Well my screen name was originally my wifes who started coming on here a few years back to get info for a cruise. She lost interest I got hooked here and just never bothered to get a new name.

Secondly, seeing I can't tell your gender by your screen name I don't know if you are a sarcastic bitch or bastard. So I will let you handle the logistics as they apply.

So the fact that I don't go to many dress up affairs means I live in a holler?

If it means I never have to rub elbows with the likes of you , GOD BLESS THE HOLLER.

I don't care if you have ten wardrobe closets full of designer clothes . None of them will cover the fact you are ugly inside.

And I, in turn, would suggest that anyone who finds it necessary to dress casually every night in the dining room find a cruise line that doesn't advertise formal nights or find somewhere elso to eat dinner when on a RCCL cruise on their formal nights.

Until Royal Caribbean decides to follow NCL and not advertise formal nights, it will continue to be selfish, rude behavior for passengers to ignore the suggested attire. There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of RCCL's actions or lack of action.

It's just a guess, but I'd bet the price of my next cruise that you keep your cell phone on during movies. After all, you paid to get in!!!

Peter

I guess this proves you can be very well dressed and really mean at the same time.

Is this whole dress guideline thing really that big a deal to everyone?

Peter

Actually, I always wear either a tux or a dark suit on formal nights. It's just not very important to me whether other people do. And I still think if what other people wear on formal night is important to you, RCI is probably not your best bet in a cruise line.

I hardly ever carry a cell phone, so it would most likely both be off and at home if I were at the movies. Instead of paying me you can donate an amount equal to the cost of your next cruise to a charity of your choice.

Well my screen name was originally my wifes who started coming on here a few years back to get info for a cruise. She lost interest I got hooked here and just never bothered to get a new name.
Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it.

Secondly, seeing I can't tell your gender by your screen name I don't know if you are a sarcastic b***h or b**tard. So I will let you handle the logistics as they apply.
Got you covered Cochise.

So the fact that I don't go to many dress up affairs means I live in a holler? If it means I never have to rub elbows with the likes of you , GOD BLESS THE HOLLER.
Aw, come on, don't be so angry. Living in the holler is good, haven't you ever seen the Oblongs? Let's kiss and make up, okay?

I don't care if you have ten wardrobe closets full of designer clothes . None of them will cover the fact you are ugly inside.
Only one walk-in closet, and it contains about 60% designer clothes, including Ralph Lauren, Burberry and Alan Flusser. Au contraire my good man, there is no ugliness to hide inside, I am simply a wordsmith of the highest magnitude.

I guess this proves you can be very well dressed and really mean at the same time.

Is this whole dress guideline thing really that big a deal to everyone?

Amen to that

I love the generalizations these people make. Not just this person , but all over the boards.

You don't wish to wear a tie, you must stiff the waiters and remove the auto tip. You must talk on your cell phone in the movies. What the hell does one have to do with the other.

So if you like to wear a tux that means you cheat on your taxes and beat your wife ?

Where do these people come from? *LOL*

Where do these people come from? *LOL*

Planet cyberspace:D Lonely old man sitting in his closet.....just him and his computer......... sitting waiting.....in his Ralph Lauren suit.... waiting for G'ma to swing by in her 58 Rambler so they can go out on the town for dinner at Denny's:D

Planet cyberspace:D Lonely old man sitting in his closet.....just him and his computer......... sitting waiting.....in his Ralph Lauren suit.... waiting for G'ma to swing by in her 58 Rambler so they can go out on the town for dinner at Denny's:D

*LOL*

Oh God that was a good one

Thank you for the much needed chuckle :)

Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it.

Got you covered Cochise.

Aw, come on, don't be so angry. Living in the holler is good, haven't you ever seen the Oblongs? Let's kiss and make up, okay?

Only one walk-in closet, and it contains about 60% designer clothes, including Ralph Lauren, Burberry and Alan Flusser. Au contraire my good man, there is no ugliness to hide inside, I am simply a wordsmith of the highest magnitude.

I apologize for my language , I am a hot tempered Italian and sometimes I just let it fly. I disagreed with what you said , but I could still keep a civil tongue in my head (or civil fingers on my keyboard as the case may be) *LOL*

I just shake my head at the comments sometimes . Not just yours but of so many and not just here, but all these boards.

In the past I have seen answers like "Jeans are for the farm" "If you don't want to wear a suit go to a dude ranch and eat with pigs "

"A woman (I'd hardly call her a lady) smoking a cigarette on her balcony"

There is no cause for remarks like that, especially as a reply to an honest question by a poster who legitimately didn't know.

You might find this hard to believe but I attened both grammar and high school at to rather upity private school in old money Fairfield County Connecticut. Hated every day of it. If I never hear the words "Do you know who my father is ?" again it will be too soon :)

People are what is important not things and clothes and what fork goes with what course.

Oh Boy-I see the picture below on its way!!! :eek:

thread_lock.gif

HAHA I think I see the *poof* fairy coming.

DH always wears a tux on formal night. One of our best tables consisted of him, another man in a tux, a third man in all black (suit, shirt and tie) and a man in a Hawaiian shirt. The last man told us that he wasn't coming to the dining room for formal night because he didn't have proper clothes. We were enjoying his company so much that we begged him to reconsider and enlisted our waitstaff's help. After all, the shirt was formal by Hawaiian standards. He may have felt a bit awkward at first, but after the first bottle of wine, all was well.:)

I do hope it didn't ruin anybody else's cruise!:rolleyes:

Believe me we are casual too!! My DH is in construction and I a administrative assistant (although now self employed) and we do not get invited to that many either.

I was only trying to point out that if we would dress as requested to an event at home why can't we dress as requested/suggested when on vacation also. Yes, I know we are on "vacation", but to me it's all part of the experience. And because we don't get to dress up at home, it's kind of fun to get the chance to do so.

I'm not say that anyone is right or wrong in their thinking of how they should dress on formal night. I'm only sharing my view.

I guess you like myself thought that that's what these boards were all about. Sharing your views. Don't quite understand how one persons view could be wrong and another's right. I thought we were sharing oppinoins here, not insults. Oh well.:rolleyes:

and i, in turn, would suggest that anyone who finds it necessary to dress casually every night in the dining room find a cruise line that doesn't advertise formal nights or find somewhere elso to eat dinner when on a rccl cruise on their formal nights.

Until royal caribbean decides to follow ncl and not advertise formal nights, it will continue to be selfish, rude behavior for passengers to ignore the suggested attire. There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of rccl's actions or lack of action.

It's just a guess, but i'd bet the price of my next cruise that you keep your cell phone on during movies. After all, you paid to get in!!!

Peter

That was good.

I apologize for my language , I am a hot tempered Italian and sometimes I just let it fly. I disagreed with what you said , but I could still keep a civil tongue in my head (or civil fingers on my keyboard as the case may be) *LOL*

I just shake my head at the comments sometimes . Not just yours but of so many and not just here, but all these boards.

In the past I have seen answers like "Jeans are for the farm" "If you don't want to wear a suit go to a dude ranch and eat with pigs "

"A woman (I'd hardly call her a lady) smoking a cigarette on her balcony"

There is no cause for remarks like that, especially as a reply to an honest question by a poster who legitimately didn't know.

You might find this hard to believe but I attened both grammar and high school at to rather upity private school in old money Fairfield County Connecticut. Hated every day of it. If I never hear the words "Do you know who my father is ?" again it will be too soon :)

People are what is important not things and clothes and what fork goes with what course.

I work at one of those private prep schools in CT. that share sporting events with your private prep school. I can relate to your statement. :D:D:D:D:D

OK, I have the perfect solution to this whole debate...

A number of years ago, we had a party that paradied the Black and White Ball in San Francisco (a very black tie affair). But we...

wore tux jackets and black shorts, or

bow ties and flip flops, or

bathing suit tops and tulle skirts, or

top hats and tee shirts...

if it was black and white, it worked! So what do you think? Can we agree to disagree? Maybe we can be formal on top, and casual below the waist...then when we sit to dinner we'll look the same:D;)

p.s. We called it the Black & White Barbeque:)

Hi all

My husband and I just got off the grandeur 10 niter and we decided after flying this time that this is our last formal nite for a while. We will just bring nice clothes for dinner like we always do, and eat in chops on formal nites. We did pay for the extra bag on this trip for our formal clothes, however, coming home one of our bags was 3 pounds over and they wanted to charge us another 50 bucks for a bag being over weight in addition to the extra bag fee. ( all the shampoo, ect ended up in one bag, because they take your bags the nite before and you cant carry that on anymore) . I throw out my shampoo, body wash and conditioner at the airport to bring the bag under weight. We have enough occasions at home with weddings, special parties and such that we dont feel the need to dress up during our vacation. We've never been huge fans of formal nites anyway so this gives us the excuse to can them! I do not know why the airlines are not cracking down on what people are calling carry-ons- saw some really large bags in those bins. One of our flights was so full we had no place to stow our backpacks or winter coats- the bins were all full

I understand the OP's point. Airlines and airports have become more of a pain. Not only the luggage limits and costs but the lines to check a bag, the very likelihood of the bag not making it. We travel a lot and we have done away with the many bags often full of clothese we don't end up wearing. By carrying-on and printing boarding passes at home, there is no need to wait in line to check bags, you can walk right through security. No need to wait for luggage to show up. It has made air travel much more tolerable.

I don't know what we will do about our upcoming cruise and dressing up. Tough to get formal wear in a carry-on. Limiting yourself to a carry-on is actually quite liberating.

I'm not commenting on what anyone should wear, but semi formal can be done with one suitcase each. We just returned from 22 days in Europe, 12 of which were a cruise. I could have packed a lot and heavy as my Air Canada luggage restriction is 4 bags at 75lbs each but seriously, who's going to lug that around Europe? We restricted ourselves to one suitcase and one carry on each as we were taking trains, buses, water buses instead of private water taxis in Venice and inter-european airlines. We probably saved ourselves at least $500 in taking public transportation. While DH wasn't "Formal" he did manage to pack all of his clothes for the trip and a Sports Jacket. We had planned to skip formal nights on the ship, but were invited to dine with new friends and didn't want to turn them down. My suggestion would be to at least pack a sports jacket. It's not formal, but it is an effort.

I can't recall ever going to an event that had an actual dress code of 'formal'.

Not a thing wrong with that and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! We have attended numerous formal events over the past few decades. You know what? Clothes do not make a person classy. I've met some incredibly classy people, but I've also met the most boorish people imaginable--no matter that their clothes and jewels cost thousands and thousands.

My DH is a musician and conductor by avocation, so his recreational "uniforms" were well-fitted tuxes with all the accessories. Now he is at the "enough is enough" stage. I had a selection of cocktail/formal gowns and so forth. Today, I simply don't have room in my closet for all of them now, what with all the "down on the farm" and "at the beach" clothes.;) Bottom line, formal events/attire are a "been there, done that hundreds of times, and that's enough for us" thing. I am thrilled for those who look forward to formal nights on cruises. It's nice to see them all decked out, looking fine, and beaming happiness.

Please understand that I do not say this as a "brag" or "better than thou," not even a teeny, tiny bit. But to simply give our history and frame of reference. In fact, once my DH and I escaped the city, we moved to "the holler." (Those who use such terms as a pejorative show their own lack of class.) The people who live in our sparsely populated, mostly agricultural counties are hard-working, friendly (mostly), intelligent, and interesting. We love it here. In the boonies, people (even us from time to time) actually even dress formally when it's appropriate.

We have attended formal night dinners precisely twice in the past 5 cruises. We were on a special anniversary cruise with my sister and BIL--paid for by my mother, who requested a formal portrait of us as a memento. The men wore their tuxes; we ladies wore fancy dresses, stockings, heels, sparkly jewelry. Honestly, I don't remember what anyone else was wearing in the dining room those nights. We were far too focused on enjoying our own fine selves (okay, that was braggish). We would have noticed someone dressed completely inappropriately (shorts, t-shirt, rubber flip-flops, baseball cap) or not properly groomed or bathed (how could you miss that?). Other than that, I think only I can "ruin" my evening by focusing my energy on what others are wearing.

For our other cruises, my DH brings dark slacks, one dress shirt, one tie, and a dark colored v-neck cashmere sweater; I bring two nice skirts with coordinating nice tops and strappy sandals. We wear those outfits to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. We do not dine in the formal dining room because, for us, formal wear has pretty specific definitions. These are our prefences and choices, and we don't care to spend much time worrying about what other people do.

And I agree with you. It's more offensive to see ties and jackets on casual nights, because it's depressing to see these men not knowing how to relax. A special section of the diining room should be set aside for them so they can depress each other. Or else, the maitre'd should send them back to their rooms to change.

LMAO!:p:D I have often thought that when members write things like "We dress up every night, even casual nights, because we think all nights should be more formal." These are often the same people who chastise others for not dressing formally enough on formal night. The attitude seems to be, "On formal night, dress formally--or else, but we ignore the casual night attire suggestions and dress more formally because it's our cruise and we can do what we want to do." Apparently, there is no hypocrisy for them when they complain about others who don't want to do the full formal deal because it's their cruise and they can do what they want to do or they argue that it's not possible to "over dress," even if the "host" requests casual attire.

I understand the OP's point. Airlines and airports have become more of a pain. Not only the luggage limits and costs but the lines to check a bag, the very likelihood of the bag not making it. We travel a lot and we have done away with the many bags often full of clothese we don't end up wearing. By carrying-on and printing boarding passes at home, there is no need to wait in line to check bags, you can walk right through security. No need to wait for luggage to show up. It has made air travel much more tolerable.

I don't know what we will do about our upcoming cruise and dressing up. Tough to get formal wear in a carry-on. Limiting yourself to a carry-on is actually quite liberating.

I wonder what the cruise lines will do if enough pax decide that they simply don't want to schlep along the formal attire and pay extra to the airline for the privilege to do so or spend $100 minimum to rent a tux or dress, items which are bound to be pretty basic and that may or may not fit nicely or look flattering. How many pax will switch to dining at the casual alternative venues on formal nights? I'm sure that the dining rooms will never be empty, but I can't help but think that the Windjammer, etc. may end up very crowded and the formal dining rooms may end up being much quieter on formal nights. (I realize that some will say, "Fine by us. We want our formal nights exactly the way we want them and don't care that the dining rooms will be half empty.") Either way, we will continue to dine elsewhere on formal nights as long as the various cruise lines schedule formal nights in the dining rooms.

beachchick

There is nothing more volatile on this board than the fashion police trying to force their standards off on everyone else. This thread is now up to 98 responses and 2344 hits. Everyone will pretty much wear what they want and RCL will not stop them. If you are going to sail with a mass marketing cruise line, then you will have to sail with the common public who eschews formal dress. The world is becoming less formal. The fashion police can huff and puff all they want, but they are swimming upstream. Maybe you should go down to guest relations and file formal complaints.

I will see you in the MDR on formal night with my shirt and pants sans jacket and tie. :D

Archived