Best Way to Get to Majahaul

cudjoekey

I think that taxi is probably the easier and faster than walking, but walking is free. Golf cart might be fun, but much more expensive. We went by taxi and would do so again, except for DW, she would want to go by bicycle.

I don't think that transportation in town would be a problem. The taxis all stop at the same place and that is where you catch them when you want to go back to port. As for getting around in town, we just walked along the beach or down the road thru town that is parallel to the beach.

I was there in August and my group rented a golf cart. You can rent them just outside the pier area. It was about $50 but we had the cart for the day and didn't have to deal with taxi lines and had the freedom to do whatever we wanted. And it's hilarious riding on the shoulder of the highway in it. We had no problem parking it, just take the key and go. It was very convenient and lots of fun.

Susan

Just got back from Costa Maya. You can buy a taxi ticket for $3 a person and $2 a person back from the beach. You have to go behind the stores (follow the signs) and buy a ticket to the beach. When you are ready to leave the beach, there are taxis there and you buy a ticket from a booth to get back to the pier. It is all real easy to do.

I wouldn't recommend walking. When we were there in October, we walked. It was hot and there were a lot of mosquitos. There isn't really that much to see along the road. We walked back from Majahual along the beach and the only way to get back into Costa Maya is to wade into the water around a tall brick wall. We thought it looked a little dangerous so we walked back to Majahual and caught a cab. Some friends of ours came back later and said they made it around the wall and only got wet up to their knees, so it is possible.

Wow - the tide must have been very high when you were there. When we were there in Feb we walked to Mahahual along the path by the water with no problem at all. No wading required and no wall. I guess it changes pretty drastically with the time of year.

Archived