Take a Camera up Dunns Falls?

billrco90278

there is a decent probability that the camera will get wet.

Options

plastic ziploc bag

waterproof camera

the disposable waterproof cameras are not expensive and take a decent picture in this situation. If you really want digital then the ziplock is an option (if you HAD a waterproof digital you wouldn't be asking this question) but I'd also caution that there is the risk of a slip and fall and you could also end up bashing a good camera against the rocks....another vote for a disposable for this part of the vacation.

and if money is no object there ARE "waterproof" digitals - but most of those are only good to less than 30 feet so don't plan to SCUBA with them....

my recommendation is a disposable.....

there is a decent probability that the camera will get wet.

Options

plastic ziploc bag

waterproof camera

the disposable waterproof cameras are not expensive and take a decent picture in this situation. If you really want digital then the ziplock is an option (if you HAD a waterproof digital you wouldn't be asking this question) but I'd also caution that there is the risk of a slip and fall and you could also end up bashing a good camera against the rocks....another vote for a disposable for this part of the vacation.

and if money is no object there ARE "waterproof" digitals - but most of those are only good to less than 30 feet so don't plan to SCUBA with them....

my recommendation is a disposable.....

Thanks for the input. I think a disposable camera is the way to go. The developed pictures can be put on a CD and included in our internet album.

Should we take our camera up Dunns Falls or leave it behind to avoid damaging it? Or should we get a disposable camera for the "hike" up the falls? :confused:

Take a disposable waterproof......Fuji is a good one.....

We had an expensive camera samshed and dropped to the rainforst floor by a guide who was taking our picture on a zipline! All he said was "sorry"......and to make matters worse, the pictures that were on our memory card were people we didn't even know! They were not pictures of us!

The guides are also taking video as you climb the falls which they load onto a DVD at the end of the climb. Not particularly cheap. I think we paid $25, which included a $5 discount for using Phil Lafayette Tours - but it made a great souvenir of a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Should we take our camera up Dunns Falls or leave it behind to avoid damaging it? Or should we get a disposable camera for the "hike" up the falls? :confused:

As OP have said its wet, you are in the water and will be wet. You can put your stuff in a plastic bag, but all the photo ops are with you in the water and wet too.

Its best to have a waterpoof camera or get a aquapac is another alternative for your camera. Don't bring your expensive DSLR or plan accordingly :D

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#1X0

Just back from DRF. One of the guides for our group basically just told everyone to give them their cameras and he would take pictures for them. He must have had at least 8 or 9 cameras, and I don't know how he could remember which one belonged to each different person. My DH gave over his big, fancy camera (no idea what it is, just big and expensive :rolleyes:) and every time he was taking our picture, we could tell he was using the right camera, but the others...they all looked pretty much the same to me! I was very concerned about the camera getting wet or damaged, but luckily everything turned out just fine. There would have been no way for DH to take his own pictures as we were holding hands almost the whole way.

I use the Fuji waterproof disposable. No kidding, the pictures we took with that are every bit as good as my digital pictures. Surprising but true!

I agree.....our pics with the waterproof Fuji were almost as good as with our expensive digital......

You may have good luck like White Rabbit, but you also run the risk of having the luck that we had.....a broken camera and pictures of strangers! :mad:

Fortunately for us, SIL had an extra camera so we could take pictures while in other ports.....otherwise, we would have spent precious port time searching for an over-priced disposable!

Archived