Cabins by elevators. Your thoughts.

gogogo8

We will be sailing on the Ruby in Sept. Our cabin is A301 which is right next to the lifts and stairs. Should we be concerned regarding excess noise from the hallways? The deck plan also makes it appear that A301 is a little larger...my imagination?

Thank you for all the useful info.

Not sure about the size question, but from our experience the elevators are super, super quiet. :) It's the people coming & going that are so noisy!!!!

We've had many cabins right next to the elevators and every time, it's the passengers that talk really loudly and let their kids run down the hallways that bother us more than anything. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only during the day, but it's from about midnight until 2 or 3am that it's the worst. Are people not taught to be quiet in hallways anymore? Is this an old custom that no longer applies?

We've learned the hard way to get cabins that aren't across from inside cabins and that are farther away from the elevators.

Sometimes, I've been tempted to post a sign that says, "Quiet in the hallways, please!" :mad:

We will be sailing on the Ruby in Sept. Our cabin is A301 which is right next to the lifts and stairs. Should we be concerned regarding excess noise from the hallways? The deck plan also makes it appear that A301 is a little larger...my imagination?

Thank you for all the useful info.

If the cabin wall shares an elevator wall you will hear noise.

If you are just in the vicinity of an elevator bank , no problem.

Since A301 on the Ruby is Wheelchair-accessible it is actually bigger - not just your imagination. Since your stateroom is on a deck that has passenger staterooms only your noise from other passengers should be kept to a minimum. Being across the hall you will not hear the elevators themselves.

Many times I have had cabins right by the elevators and heard no noise from them. Now as someone mentioned above you will hear some noises from people who are getting off and on but only for a few seconds.

Marilyn

As a parent of 2 kids in wheelchairs that has a hard time finding wheelchair accessible cabins if you aren't in a wheelchair please consider moving to another cabin.

I know this topic was dissussed or beat to death several months ago, but Princess plays a big part in the assignment of these cabins as well.

Many don't realize that the cabin they have is a HC cabin though many seek these out for the size. :)

Not sure about the size question, but from our experience the elevators are super, super quiet. :) It's the people coming & going that are so noisy!!!!

We've had many cabins right next to the elevators and every time, it's the passengers that talk really loudly and let their kids run down the hallways that bother us more than anything. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only during the day, but it's from about midnight until 2 or 3am that it's the worst. Are people not taught to be quiet in hallways anymore? Is this an old custom that no longer applies?

We've learned the hard way to get cabins that aren't across from inside cabins and that are farther away from the elevators.

Sometimes, I've been tempted to post a sign that says, "Quiet in the hallways, please!" :mad:

just got back from c305 and never heard anything but take a little fan as am sure that helped us alot

I've seen Princess assign the HC cabins to people who do not need them quite often. Some cruise lines require proof of the HC to assign the cabin and will not release them to the general public until after final payment.

If you ever require a HC cabin, simply have your TA fax the cruise line and explain the situation and request a HC cabin. Many times, the cruise lines will move other non-HC people out of the HC cabin if it is needed for a HC person. :)

I've seen Princess assign the HC cabins to people who do not need them quite often. Some cruise lines require proof of the HC to assign the cabin and will not release them to the general public until after final payment.

If you ever require a HC cabin, simply have your TA fax the cruise line and explain the situation and request a HC cabin. Many times, the cruise lines will move other non-HC people out of the HC cabin if it is needed for a HC person. :)

I know for a fact Princess will not move someone and will tell you they have no way of knowing if the person in that cabin is handicap. I booked a cruise a year in advance trying to get 2 handicap cabins side by side because the cabin only had 2 beds so one kid was with me in one cabin and the other in a cabin with my father. We were unable to get cabins next to each other because the people in the cabin next to us a 20 something couple with no disability were booked in the cabin because the cabin was bigger.

As to the orignal poster no there is no noise from the elevator but I myself knowing the challanges of someone in a wheelchair trying to get one of the 10 or less cabins out of 900 or more cabins everyone else can get into would not be able to enjoy my cruise.

I've had cabins near the elevator several times and never had a problem with noise. The cabin doors are pretty well insulated; better than those on other cruiselines. The only time I've heard noise from the hallway was when I had a couple of teenagers across the hall from me and they were partying into the wee hours of the morning with their door open and kids coming and going. Believe it or not, there was a parent with them on a couple of occasions, doing nothing to hold down the noise (which was at about 2AM). I had to call the Pursar's Desk several times.

I know for a fact Princess will not move someone and will tell you they have no way of knowing if the person in that cabin is handicap. I booked a cruise a year in advance trying to get 2 handicap cabins side by side because the cabin only had 2 beds so one kid was with me in one cabin and the other in a cabin with my father. We were unable to get cabins next to each other because the people in the cabin next to us a 20 something couple with no disability were booked in the cabin because the cabin was bigger.

It is not always the passengers fault, lighten up a little.

Princess's policy is that they do not move people because they assume that people who requested a HC need it.

If it is assigned at the last minute that is one thing. Otherwise, CJH is right - non HC people ask for them and once in them, Princess will not move people out, even if HC need them.

Princess's policy is that they do not move people because they assume that people who requested a HC need it.

If it is assigned at the last minute that is one thing. Otherwise, CJH is right - non HC people ask for them and once in them, Princess will not move people out, even if HC need them.

That is not always the case. I have had passengers moved out of a HC cabin because my clients needed it. It was a simple letter to Princess explaining the situation and Princess working with me to find someone willing to move. Usually, you can find decent people willing to move if you ask in the right way. ;)

I agree.

It is not always the passengers fault, lighten up a little.

CJH knows the reality of how difficult it is to book a handicap cabin because non handicapped people book them. Her family can not cruise unless they get these cabins. This is huge as non-disabled people can take any cabin. Her kids can not be in any cabin - there are only a few cabins per ship that are for disabled and many of these only accomodate 2 people. In this situation, she needs 2 of these cabins as she has 2 kids with disabilities.

I think many non-disabled people do not realize what it takes for disabled to travel. I used to now know but my eyes are wide open now (due to a family member who is disabled). There are so many things that need to be considered when doing every day stuff and doing special things such as traveling.

That is not always the case. I have had passengers moved out of a HC cabin because my clients needed it. It was a simple letter to Princess explaining the situation and Princess working with me to find someone willing to move. Usually, you can find decent people willing to move if you ask in the right way. ;)

This is highly unusual. Usually Princess's stance is that people wouldn't book the cabin if they didn't need it and they will not ask someone's disability in order to move it. I know several who are disabled and this is what they have experienced time and time again. I know many agents who have tried to fight this with Princess and their stand is that people wouldn't book them if they didn't need them.

Long story short - do not book a handicapped cabin if you do not need it. Princess will eventually assign these at the last moment if they are not booked.

Archived