Rum runner flask contents question

Luluwa

OK guys.....Can I take rum runners in a carry on? If I'm not checking my luggage? Anyone do this?

i would say no if you are going on a plane. liquids. i haven't tried it carrying on in a ship. always checked, but i'm assuming they go through the same type of scanner that are at the airports

I just ordered the 'cruise package' of Rum Runners for DH for Christmas as our cruise is in January. Looking forward to using them, although last year the liter bottles of water we bought in PV at the Walmart and refilled with clear rum and vodka were easy to walk back on the ship with too. We're overnighting in Cali before the cruise so we'll be able to buy our liquor and wine there without having to pay the huge taxes like we do in Oregon - another money saver! I usually buy a soda card and then use that for mixers with the liquor we bring on board.

Another note for you Red Bull/Vodka drinkers - on the cruise they charge you separately for each of those, so even if you don't mind buying your vodka at the bar, $4 for a little can of RB doesn't seem reasonable on top of it - bring your own along.

Cheers!

Just used them for the first time on my first NCL cruise. No problems, just put them in a double zip lock bag, and they didn't spill. Just packed them in my checked luggage. Saved us a LOT of money. I also put some vodka in a water bottle, put it in a zip lock bag and shoved it in my shoe, worked as well.

On my last 2 carnival cruises, I had brought big water bottles filled with vodka on board, no problems. Don't know if they are cracking down more now. There is always a chance you get caught, although I never have in 4 cruises.

• 7 months later...
l_cd0b5d21c83895614872a109fb3fbdfd.jpg

i took all that on my last cruise. the hypnotiq had to go in two 32oz but everything else fit in a single 32oz packet each. did not put them in a ziplock, and had them wrapped in between towels and clothes. i carried the two bottles of wine on board. i came home with none of the alcohol and a $300 s&s bill for 7 days for just me, so i think i saved quite a bit of money on my last cruise. (i was with a group of friends, so i was alos a bar, i didn't drink all the alcohol by myself)

What did you mix all that stuff with?

We usually take 1 large RR of Captain and another 2 large RR's of long iced that I mix myself (less the coke, which is added when we make the drinks).

Have taken a small RR's of vodka and other misc. things, but they usually come back home full.

I have always put in a ziploc for safe measure, but they have never leaked so it's probably not necessary.

We have the cruise kit (3 big and 3 small). We take pre-mixed margaritas in the big ones and rum in the little ones. The rum has gone back and forth a few times though. We'll fill the ritas in our souvenir glass and either take that on deck or drink on balcony. We used to mix the rum with lemonade and fruit punch, but no that there's no more fruit punch we'll use in coke.

We still buy drinks in the bars at night (too much of a pain to go back to cabin to refill) and I have to have at least one of the DOD each day (2 or 3 on sailaway day...LOVE Funship Specials!), so Carnival still makes plenty off of us.

I also used the small ones at a summer festival a few weeks back. They only allowed you to bring "factory sealed" water into the fest and I wasn't that impressed with the drink options (I'm not a beer drinker and they didn't have any other malt beverages like Mike's or Bacardi Silver). When we went the second day, I wrapped the small ones in our blanket and then added rum to the lemon shakeups! The shakeups weren't cheap either...about the price of an alcoholic drink on board and I had to spike it myself! Couldn't have done this with a normal bottle, cuz when they squeezed the blankets they would have felt the bottle.

• 2 months later...

The first time I used them, I did as the instructions said and filled them all withhot water and let them fully expand. After that you may as well fill them. If you let them sit wet for a while mold could develop. That's not going to be a problem if you fill them with alcohol.

The plastic does not impart a taste to the liquid inside, so you can fill as early ahead as you like. It is also a good chance to test for leaks. We did have one leaky flask which the vendor replaced.

Once used, you wash them out, shake all the excess liquid out and leave in a warm place for a couple days to completely dry.

This cruise we are buying alcohol in the embarkation port. This is to save weight in the luggage and eliminate the potential for breakage, at least with the flights.

Remember to take the little funnel you get with the RR flasks to make filling easier. It helps to practice filling them with water until you are used to it, so you don't spill valuable liquor.

So really they won't leak??? Hubby is skeptic..lol..I say it could save some $...he is afraid we will get caught!! You just put them in your luggage right??

They CAN leak. On our last cruise, DH found his tuxedo vest soaked with vodka, and the Rum Runner in question now completely empty. When we filled it with water to see where the leaks were, we found several teeny pin-prick size holes.

• 3 months later...

I have the "Rum Runner Cruise Kit" (3 large 32oz and 3 small 8oz) that I use EVERY CRUISE.

Here is what I fill them with and what I use them for:

32oz: Jack Daniels

32oz: Captain Morgan Spiced Rum

32oz: Crown Royal

8oz: Bailey's Irish Cream

8oz: The McAllan 18 Year old Scotch

8oz: Grand Marnier

I always buy 2 bottle of water once on board (and drink them to hydrate, lol) - then once the bags arrive I transfer the Scotch from the 8oz into one empty water bottle and the Grand Marnier into the other. I know have 2 small portable Rum Runner flasks that easily fit into my pocket for use on deck (I always buy a soda card for mixers). I always have my Carnival thermos cup (the one they sell you with your first drink), have them fill it with soda, then once at my chair I sip out enough to make room for the booze - discreetly pour in booze, and swizzle. Viola! Just saved $5.75 (well $4.75 because I tip every time I get a soda).

I never use my flask in the night club, at dinner, or at shows so I am not completely ripping anyone off. My S&S account is always up there regardless. This simply allows me to cruise more often!

As for the baileys and the scotch/Grand Marnier - they are usually drank in my cabin or up on deck late at night... Nothing like a coffee from room service mixed with Bailey's on the balcony with the sunrise!

We have taken liquor onboard a few times once in the bottle, more often in nalgene hikers bottles and have always brought most of it home. We like to enjoy a cocktail before dinner on the balcony and sometimes though rarely as a nightcap. I guess we don't really spend that much time in the cabin to worry about it. This trip we'll be bringing wine and buying the rest.

Archived