Destiny review dec. 11-15

afilbrun

This is my first review so be nice...lol. And only our second cruise.

My husband and I flew Northwest Detroit to Miami direct the day before the cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Miami airport. It was okay but nothing more. We wanted to spend all day by the pool but it was shaded by the time we got there at noon so no sun...boo. It is literally in the middle of a triangle of interstates and overpasses so it is very loud. You can walk to a Burger King, a local joint, and a BP, after crossing multiple lanes of traffic. The lobby was remodeled and nice but the rest of the building was dingy and old, but not horrible. Our room had stains on the carpet but the bedding was great. We mainly picked it for the price and free shuttles. It was okay but the one thing that would keep me from going back (actually two) would be no sun by the pool and the location.

On cruise day we boarded the shuttle and actually left for the port a little early. We arrived at POM at 11:15 and after going through security and checking in we were given group 11 to board. The ENTIRE process from arrival to boarding was less than an hour. Very easy and smooth. We immediately went to Lido for the obligatory DOD and lunch then cruised around exploring. Very nice ship, clean, with a lot of years left in her.

Went to the room at 1:15. I surprised my husband with a balcony-our first-and it was great. We were in 7301 on the starboard side aft. A water glass that was left from the previous cruise was missed by housekeeping on the baclony and remained there for 4 days...more later on that. Our shower was twice the size that we had on an inside room on the Liberty. Other than that, nothing worth mentioning.

Room steward was a little disapointing compared to our first cruise. On the Liberty our clothes were hung up, always had ice, and even had a picture on the wall fixed because it was rattling. The steward on the Destiny was not as good. We had used the drinking glasses on the first day and they were not cleaned up until the fourth day. I also asked for the windows to be cleaned because they had hand prints all over them but it never happened. Our clothes were left right where we left them. Also, after we went to the beach I took a nap and got sand on the sheets. After the room was cleaned, I got in bed to dirty sheets with sand in them...so help me out-which is the norm-standard or outstanding service?

We sailed promptly at 5:00 to crummy overcast but warm weather. Dining was good. Lasagna the first night was outstanding and my husband said the strip steak was good as well. Table waiters were great but we never once saw the maitre' D (spelling) the entire time. The Sun and Sea buffet was decent as always, with the fruit leaving a little to be desired along with the tomatoes, but it is December so I don't expect much. I had lunch once at the Chinese restaurant (forget the name) and it was very good. We ordered room service and it took about an hour so not bad on a ship of 2,900 people.

Key West-we got off and did the normal shopping. We walked then to Fort Taylor State Park. They charge $1.50 per person on foot. It's a great park with lots of shade, food, showers, hiking trails, and a beach. The beach isn't very long but it is very pretty with lots of shells and coral if you like to collect them. I would highly recommend it, and would go back as the beach is one of my favorite "excursions".

Cozumel-Very overcast but it did not rain. We immediately took a cab from Puerta Maya pier to Mr. Sanchos beach. It was $15 each way. Mr. Sanchos is actually on the same strip of sand and sits between Paradise and Nochi Cochum (spelling?)-you can walk easily to each one. It was very pretty with a couple of tourist stores, horseback riding, beach watersports, a bar and restaurant, a pool, and shower facilities. Bathrooms were very clean. The food was decent and decently priced. I would go back again. We then went back to the pier and shopped. It is very nice, with nice stores. We also went to the Three Amigo's bar and restaurant. We only had shots so I can't comment on food, etc. Boarded the ship at 9:00 for 10:00 departure.

We never did attend any shows except for the Love and Marriage game and the comedian Carl Rimi. Both were funny but some did not think comedian was very funny. He was clean, not R rated.

Cruise director Jorge Solano was hysterical in my opinion...maybe it was his accent that added to it...

THE SMELL. Okay, so we had the smell of rotten sewage on our balcony often during our cruise. Mulptiple times daily. However, a couple on the very aft of the ship did not smell it or a couple on the port side, so it seemed to be limited to our area...eeewww...I have a nose like blood hound so that doesnt' help.

I spoke with a passenger whose wife is a PVP with Carnival. They no longer book cruises while on a cruise because it takes buisness away from the PVP supposedly...

The bed was NOT the same comfort bed that the Liberty has...I prefer Liberty's beds and several other couples mentioned the same thing.

Debarkation was quick. Luggage arrives via carasoul.

Pictures-I will upload photos but not tonight.

Overall, had a great and wonderful trip. While there were a few things that could have been a little better, I AM NOT complaining. I had a fabulous time and would sail the Destiny again in a minute. I could add more details but nothing in my mind sticks out as being helpful.

Feel free to ask questions-I will be more than happy to answer them.

I didn't expect him to but on our first cruise our steward did it for us. We were rushed to get to dinner and didn't clean up and we came back later and low and behold, they had been hung up. we didn't know in advance that they do it...so on this cruise we didn't know what to expect. I thought maybe it was just part of the service. I agree with you though, I do not expect anyone to clean up my mess.

We are sailing on the Destiny Dec 29. What is the Sun and Sea buffet? Also they have a chinese restraurant. that is seperate from the lido lunch buffet??? I am sorry about the bed's because I love the comfort beds that the other ships have. Did they get the flat screens in the rooms. Thanks

The Sun and Sea is the big buffet that they have on the lido deck for lunch and breakfast, etc. The chinese resauarant is called Happy Valley and is right with the sun and sea. They do not have flat screens-at least not in our room 7301 which was a balcony. Well, off to work! Boo.

Hmmmm.....I'm concerned about the "Sewage smell". I booked 3 balcony cabins all in the aft, mine being a true aft. I noticed you were a floor above mine. You're not the first person that has talked about that smell. That would really ruin the time spent on the balcony. Geez!

Laurie

We sailed on the Destiny about two years ago...8th Deck, Aft. Didn't smell a thing!

I think a lot of times...it just depends on the wind. We've been smothered with diesel fumes before...but only temporarily...until the ship or the wind changed directions.

I just had a quick question about the Holiday Inn at MIA- we won it on Priceline for $55- which seems cheap to me- we are also going on the Destiny - was the shuttle to the port full? Did they let you reserve a seat ahead of time?

Lucy, if the shuttle is "full" you can grab a cab for next to nothing--it's SO close; you just can't walk there because of all the traffic converging in that area.

I NEVER smelled anything on Destiny and I was in the bottom of the ship. Not in our room, not tendering to port, NEVER.

Also, our bed felt the same as it did on Liberty. FWIW.

Don't get worried... you'll have a blast and be so happy you went! You're going to have a blast.

Lucy12-if you are staying at the airport Holiday Inn then a cab will cost about $25. When you check in you will sign up for either the 11:00 or 12:00 shuttle-there are plenty of seats. Our shuttle was not full but there was only one other ship in port. We paid $110 for the airport holiday inn so $55 is a steal. If you are talking holiday inn port of miami then you COULD walk but I wouldn't recommend it and I love to walk a lot...lol. Any other questions let me know. I am still going to post pics but it will prob be next week...sorry.

Wow.

What a great review. Maybe the best I've ever seen on CC. It will go mostly unnoticed though. Guess what? It wasn't a hundred percent perfect. The OP dealt with it with as we all should. The hour room service wait is unacceptable, of course, but your response about the ship being crowded is unheard of. That would sometimes cause a thread by itself. No cruises are perfect, but this review was. Thanks

Thanks for the review!! I enjoyed the Destiny... we did a back to back recently... not the perfect ship, but decent. I think I waited about 8 hours for room service, LOL! An hour is about the norm at peak hours, so that isn't too bad... I wasn't too happy about getting mine when we got BACK from port!!! I've never had a steward do anything with my clothes, other than maybe move them just a little to make the beds... I don't know that I would be happy if they messed with them too much... I think you may have had the exception rather than the norm on your last cruise when it came to having the steward hang your clothes... I've never heard of that being done. He definitely should have changed your sheets if you asked him to do that... as for the glasses, I've noticed that unless you specifically ask them, they won't touch them, for some reason they are scared you are still drinking out of them after days and days :p LOL You just sometimes have to make it clear... put them outside of the door, or let them know they can remove them. I've gotten irritated about it, but have noticed most do the same thing... very odd!! Thank you for your honest review and welcome home!!

Were were on your cruise. I only smelled sewage once at the piano bar when it was bar was empty.We were in room 9163 (fwd) and the room was great. We felt the food (quality/choices) and restaurant serve has gone down since we last cruised. On the 2nd night that ship was rocking pretty bad a lot of people didn't show for dinner of left during it. I think they could tone down the lido music from blaring to just laud. The ship was in good shape and We still had a good time

Jim

Archived