Don't Trust The RCI Visa Card Bonus Point Promise

BEWARE of promises by the RCI Visa card program.

We recently applied for the RCI Visa card, with the promise of 10,000 bonus points after our first qualifying purchase.

The card came, and the paperwork stated 5,000 bonus points.

Calls to Bank of America were fruitless. They maintained the 10,000 point offer expired October 30th, even though the offer on RCI's website states the offer with 10,000 bonus points is good through December 31st.

A call to C&A was also unproductive, since BofA is their "partner" in the offer and C&A does not administer the credit card program. They did promise to look into it......but I'm not holding my breath.

Bottom line so far, another screwing by RCCL and Bank of America.

Did you provide the priority code when you applied?

Enjoy a low introductory APR, no annual fee, plus 10,000 Bonus Points after your first qualifying transaction.§§ So start cruising and get closer to your FREE cruise vacation. Call (800) 932-2775 to apply today. (Please mention priority code FAB8QP.) 10,000 Bonus Point Promotion valid only for applications received on or after February 1, 2008.

This happened to me also. I called both B of A and C and A more than once and got nowhere. They kept insisting that it was only 5000 points. Stupid me didn't save any original paperwork or screen shots so I eventually gave up. Good Luck.

Joanne

Double check. I thought the same thing-the statement looked wrong. But upon further review of the statement, it looks like the 10,000 points were split up as 2 different 5K bonus points. Just add up what you spent, and compare that number to your total bonus points. You may see a 10K difference, not a 5K difference.

I got the same letter stating it was 5,000 bonus points but when my credit card statement arrived it was 5,000 for the first purchase and 5,000 bonus points which came to the 10,000. Did you already get your statement with only 5,000 points??

The card just came yesterday, and we haven't activated it. Our concern was that the offer was 10,000 bonus points after the first purchase but the paperwork with the card said in big bold letters 5,000 bonus points after the first use. BofA verified that it was only 5,000 points despite what the RCI website offer was.

It just doesn't smell right.

I'm thinking of calling BofA again and canceling the card, but maybe I should make a purchase with it first and see what the real bonus points are.

BTW, I saved the screen prints where it says 10,000 bonus points, and it's still on the RCI website as 10,000.

The card just came yesterday, and we haven't activated it. Our concern was that the offer was 10,000 bonus points after the first purchase but the paperwork with the card said in big bold letters 5,000 bonus points after the first use. BofA verified that it was only 5,000 points despite what the RCI website offer was.

It just doesn't smell right.

I'm thinking of calling BofA again and canceling the card, but maybe I should make a purchase with it first and see what the real bonus points are.

BTW, I saved the screen prints where it says 10,000 bonus points, and it's still on the RCI website as 10,000.

I agree with you, it doesn't smell right and since they said the promo ended in Oct., even if you have paper work showing RCI website said something else, really what can you do?

I just looked at my paper work nothing was in bold print stating the amount of bonus points, I got my card in April and after charging did get 10,000 points but Bof A's way of posting it was wierd as others have stated.

Might as well charge a small item and get your $50. OBC. and then cancel it.

After a 200. OBC in Oct. I cancelled mine, my other cards provide better benefits in my opinion...Like Cash;)

Good Luck.

Here's the text of what I sent to RCCL:

I am writing to document my displeasure with a "bait-and-switch" offer by RCI and Bank of America. On December 11, 2008, we applied for the RCI Visa credit card through the RCCL website. The offer then, and still posted as of today, was a 10,000 point bonus after making the first qualifying purchase. (screen print attached) When the card was received on December 18, 2008, the accompanying paperwork - signed by Rachel Hancock of RCI and Shana Duffy of Bank of America - stated that the offer was now 5,000 bonus points after making the first qualifying purchase. (copy attached) Calls to Bank of America were fruitless. Even after they looked at the RCI website they maintained that the 10,000 point offer expired October 31, 2008, although the RCCL website states that it will expire December 31, 2008.

And here's the reply I received from RCCL:

Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for your e-mail. We sincerely regret that you feel you did not receive adequate customer service. However, we are unable to assist you. Please contact Bank of America Card Services at 1-800-421-2110. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

XXXXX, we look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Florence

Crown & Anchor Society

I think I've been hosed!

Why don't you wait until you actually make the purchases and get your statements before you get upset? Mine read the same way (except at the 15,000 level) so we got 5000 regular points and THEN 10,000 bonus points. You are going to get 5000 regular points and THEN 5000 BONUS points which the paperwork states from your description.

I had the same thing happen to me -- signed up for a card for both dh and myself under the 10,000 point promo. The paperwork has "5,000" points all over it. I called and they assured me that it was 10,000 points on both of our accounts. So, I'm still skeptical, but I will wait until my first bill comes to see how many points are on it.

If anyone has any updates please post :)

It's frustrating when you call a company, get an answer and then find out that someone else called with the exact same question and got a completely different answer.

Chevycruiser,

The same thing happened to me. After we used the card and got our first statement, it had the extra 5000 points. Like the other posters said. They give you 5000 points and when you get your first statement they add 5000 bonus points.

Use your card and wait and see what happens on your first statement.

You should be fine.

Good Luck

Sue

My paperwork said the same thing. When I called the service rep. said that if I applied on line (which I did) that I should get the bonus points with qualifying purchase (which he said was a purchase through RCI). He said to call back if my first statement didn't have the bonus pts.

Anyway, got my statement a few weeks ago and there was 5000 first transaction bonus and another 5000 Royal Bonus points, so all is good.

Hope it works out for you too :).

I had the same thing happen to me -- signed up for a card for both dh and myself under the 10,000 point promo. The paperwork has "5,000" points all over it. I called and they assured me that it was 10,000 points on both of our accounts. So, I'm still skeptical, but I will wait until my first bill comes to see how many points are on it.

If anyone has any updates please post :)

It's frustrating when you call a company, get an answer and then find out that someone else called with the exact same question and got a completely different answer.

When we called, they assured us it was only 5,000 points. I'm not confident this is gonna work out well.

Right a 5000 point bonus on top of the regular 5000 points.

I just got off the phone with BofA again, and they still maintain the TOTAL bonus points that we will get is 5,000 just like it says in the paperwork. That's 5,000 points for the first qualifying purchase. So if the first qualifying purchase is $100, they will award 100 points for that purchase and 5,000 bonus points.

Just checked my first statement, it lists:

First Transaction bonus: 5000

Monthly Royal points: 825 (total of my purchases)

Royal Bonus Points: 5000

Total Royal Points: 10825

You can't freak out until after you get your first statement. If after that, you are not satisfied, cancel the card and cash in your $50.00 certificate. I have had problems with BOA Reps knowing anything about the points. Numerous people on this thread have said the same thing about how they were billed, but it is up to you what you want to do.

I just got off the phone with BofA again, and they still maintain the TOTAL bonus points that we will get is 5,000 just like it says in the paperwork. That's 5,000 points for the first qualifying purchase. So if the first qualifying purchase is $100, they will award 100 points for that purchase and 5,000 bonus points.

they are most likely reading off a script of some sort, make your purchase and wait for your first statement, don't let this worry you until then.

We got the card and charged our cruise on it and they told us when we applied they would honor the 10,000, but when I activated, I spoke to a CSR who told us it expired and would only get 5000. Our first cycle ends on 1-12-09 and they said it could take two full billing cycles. We cruise on 2-1-09, can anyone tell me if it will be available the first statement or if we will have to wait two cycles to see the points? I had the same code as mentioned above and the one who took my application said she would honor with that but both times I talked to BOA, they said they could not.

Archived