Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

I am just back from the 12-13 sailing on the Ecstasy. This was my 4th Carnival cruise, all on Ecstacy, but my my overall 9th cruise. I was very surprised to see the lack of dress code in the dining room. I saw flip flops, tee shirts and probably the worst was ball caps being worn every night, even formal night. I asked my head waiter why this was being allowed and he stated that they dont want to upset anyone by telling them they can't dine wearing these things. I watched a lady walk into the dining room on our last night at sea in what I would call a swim suit cover up top, baggy cargo shorts and flip flops, the dining room managers were standing right up front hoping for gratuity envelopes, and I watched as they saw here they turned the other way to avoid her but let her walk right in a sit down.

Is this a Texas thing or is this happenning throughout Carnival??

We are planning another crusie and if its just a Texas thing we may try another Carnival cruise of of Florida.

We sailed on Voyager last March and I never noiced this issue at all, in fact I witnessed them turning some folks away that were not dressed properly.

I am not someone who demands coat and ties but when I sit down for dinner I know enough to take off my ball cap!!

Same thing on Triumph 12/7 DISGUSTING

If people want to dress like they're at the beach let them eat at the grill, deli or alternative restaurant not in the dining room

My DW and I love to dress for dinner and really love formal nights. For us, this is part of cruising. But others do not like to dress up. The way I look at it, it is their cruise also. They spent the same money to be on the ship as we did.

Just our HO.

To be perfectly honest . . . I really don't care what people wear to dinner in the restaurants . . . with the exception of the following . . . . 1)anything that shows hairy armpits . . . I don't even like to watch basketball games because hairy armpits are something that should only be seen when one is wearing swim trunks; 2) baseball caps in the dinning room . . . no matter how they are worn; 3) boobs and bums . . . tops cut so low and shorts so shorts as to leave nothing to the imagination; 4) barefeet . . . should only go barefoot at the beach, swimming pool and in the comfort of one's stateroom; 5) cut off jeans (great for the outdoors but not for the dining room; 6) tee shirts with offensive sayings on them; 7) actually . . . when one dines in the restaurants for the two nights which were once called "formal" nights . . . I'd really rather see someone dressed as if they were taking their family out to dinner and not a fast food joint (that's what the Lido deck is for). :p

As you can see, it DOES NOT include t-shirts and/or flip flops.

From Carnival:

faq.gifspacer.gif What to Wear? spacer.gifCruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Dan

Beach flip flops;)

:confused:

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Coldness comes to mind thinking of that household.....lack of love maybe:confused:

This has been an ongoing issue now for years. Before, it was wearing jeans into the dining room. I guess it's now graduated to baseball caps. Maybe the ambiance and class has gone from cruising. Maybe they should have two separate dining rooms--those who want to dress up and those who don't. Take your pick. JMHO.

Like it has been said many times before mind you own business and enjoy your cruise WHO CARES if the guy next to you has a hat on.

This is a VACATION not boot camp

BOOT CAMP would be extremely beneficial to MANY, MANY, today.;):p

Dan

Is this really a big deal? Granted I would never dress inapproriately but why care what someone else wears. From what I have read it is only a short time getting back in from some of the ports before dinner! What if there was some trouble and someone doesn't have time to go and change before dinner. What should they do skip dinner? If they are clean, what does it matter what they wear?

We were extremely late from a shore excursion. When we sat down for dinner we were just happy to be onboard. It was really close. Really, I was not even thinking about what we were wearing.

Hard to understand this thread.

Carnival clearly states what you can wear in the dining room on elegant nights and or casual nights. No controversy there, right? So, if all are within the guidelines, no controversy.

So, the argument seems to be on the one side we have people who do not want to abide to what Carnival has prescribed and do not like being told they are wrong for doing this by others. And do not like being told that they are negatively affecting the dining room atmosphere and therefore negatively affecting other people.

Then on the other side we have people who abide by what Carnival has prescribed and do like other people not abiding by the prescribed dress requirements.

This has nothing to do with caring what other people wear. It has everything to do with responsiblity, integrity, and fulfilling agreements. However, I do not have a contract with other passengers, my contract is with Carnival. So, my beef is with Carnival concerning this subject. If Carnival writes a prescribed dress code for the dining room then they are obligated to enforce it, and should, because everyone, like it or not, agreed to the dress code before boarding.

When buying the product it is reasonable for people to expect they will get what they paid for, to include a certain level of atmosphere in the dining room, prescribed by Carnival. If there is no dress code they need to be honest about it up front, so people know what they are buying into. JMHO.

All things considered, I have to go with Dan40 on this one. Despite my libertarian tendencies.

Note: During our Legend cruise last Feb, I saw very few people dressed inappropriately and saw one couple turned away. Have things changed do much since last Feb.

dan40 - There are many cruisers that don't live within driving distance of a port, therefore baggage allowance is a problem. By the way, just because I didn't publish before 11/06, does not mean that I did'nt read cruise critic. However, as I have gotten older, I have less patience for fools like you who think you are the fashion police.

Remember, CLOTHES DO NOT MAKE THE MAN!!!

dan40 - There are many cruisers that don't live within driving distance of a port, therefore baggage allowance is a problem. By the way, just because I didn't publish before 11/06, does not mean that I did'nt read cruise critic. However, as I have gotten older, I have less patience for fools like you who think you are the fashion police.

Remember, CLOTHES DO NOT MAKE THE MAN!!!

So you are capable of reading what I post and judging what I post but you are incapable of understanding the dress code you agreed to follow. OR you do understand it but think YOU are better than all others and that the code does not apply to you. Or your word means nothing to anyone and you will do whatever you feel like doing?

To a mature, socially adapted, ADULT, dress codes are self enforced. Neither "fashion police"* nor cruise line enforcement should be necessary IF dealing with adults. But children must be taught manners.

*"fashion police" I gave you too much credit for comprehension. I have repeatedly stated that it is not the dress, it is the ignorance of the actions that I condemn.

Dan

Maybe they should have two separate dining rooms--those who want to dress up and those who don't. Take your pick. JMHO.

They already do... the Seaview Bistro on the Lido deck is supposed to be used by those who do not wish to wear elegant or cruise casual wear. The problem is that people don't want to follow Carnival's guidelines and Carnival doesn't want to enforce their guidelines.

dan40 there is no arrogance in the fact that times are changing and dinosaurs and ADULTS who refuse to accept this will enjoy nothing but their old and outdate values. Change does not happen all at once, but when it does you should embrace it, and not fight the inevitable.

dan40 there is no arrogance in the fact that times are changing and dinosaurs and ADULTS who refuse to accept this will enjoy nothing but their old and outdate values. Change does not happen all at once, but when it does you should embrace it, and not fight the inevitable.

Listen, slick, there is a difference between "change" and "social decline". I'm thirty. Even *I* find some of the crap and I do mean crap that people think is okay to wear to the dining room to be unacceptable. But then again, I'm sure you're of the mind that it's okay to wear sweatpants to court, aren't you? It's a matter of respect. Try to wrap you mind around that. You don't want to disrespect the guys serving your dinner, do you? Lord knows what you'll end up ingesting. Values are values. They don't become outdated. Only fashion does. A Lord help you when it all comes around and you're ill-equiped to deal with it.

Listen, slick, there is a difference between "change" and "social decline". I'm thirty. Even *I* find some of the crap and I do mean crap that people think is okay to wear to the dining room to be unacceptable. But then again, I'm sure you're of the mind that it's okay to wear sweatpants to court, aren't you? It's a matter of respect. Try to wrap you mind around that. You don't want to disrespect the guys serving your dinner, do you? Lord knows what you'll end up ingesting. Values are values. They don't become outdated. Only fashion does. A Lord help you when it all comes around and you're ill-equiped to deal with it.

Whoa there cowgirl.........you sure are making alot of assumptions there:cool:

One person's social decline is another person's progress.

Are you suggesting there is a correlation between the clothes someone wears and their values? How shallow and superficial.

The people serving me dinner are waitstaff wearing uniforms. It is their job, not their vacation.

But children must be taught manners.

I wish they would be taught no running. I lost count of how many children I saw with arms in slings and what not. No telling how much this cost the cruise line which will no doubt cause the price on MY cruise to go up.

And what about elevator etiquette? No kicking of chairs in the theater?

Not to put their coals out on the floor?

One person's social decline is another person's progress.

Are you suggesting there is a correlation between the clothes someone wears and their values? How shallow and superficial.

The people serving me dinner are waitstaff wearing uniforms. It is their job, not their vacation.

No, I'm suggesting that people equate "expensive" with "appropriate for a nice dinner" or "municipal court" or "friend's funeral" which is not always the case. And as I said, I'm not discussing values, as values don't change. I'm discussion fashion. Do try to keep up.

Ah....but I was addressing you;)

True enough.

I went to a funeral for one of my sister's employees. Half of the people showed up in sweat suits. I figured out why. People think that if the pay a lot of money for it, it's appropriate for formal events. It's their "good clothes". Some folks call it progress, but it's not. It's fashion. It will change. Thank God for that.

I wish they would be taught no running. I lost count of how many children I saw with arms in slings and what not. No telling how much this cost the cruise line which will no doubt cause the price on MY cruise to go up.

And what about elevator etiquette? No kicking of chairs in the theater?

Not to put their coats out on the floor?

Altho its rare, we agree on the above.

Is not teaching them how and when to dress appropriately part of the etiquette they should know all their lives. Casual is not "pig like" and casual is not always correct. They should have learned that, it IS part of manners.

Dressing properly is absolutely no different than sitting still and NOT kicking chairs.

Dan

True enough.

I went to a funeral for one of my sister's employees. Half of the people showed up in sweat suits. I figured out why. People think that if the pay a lot of money for it, it's appropriate for formal events. It's their "good clothes". Some folks call it progress, but it's not. It's fashion. It will change. Thank God for that.

Well I was referring to your assumptions of how Bobbyfreddy might dress......when all he was saying was it does not bother him how others dress.......

But alas you are assuming once again why some people wore sweats at a funeral:rolleyes:

Good grief.....

Well I was referring to your assumptions of how Bobbyfreddy might dress......when all he was saying was it does not bother him how others dress.......

But alas you are assuming once again why some people wore sweats at a funeral:rolleyes:

Good grief.....

I'm not assuming. I know. Because I asked someone. And let's go back and review BobbyFreddy's statement, shall we?

"there is no arrogance in the fact that times are changing and dinosaurs and ADULTS who refuse to accept this will enjoy nothing but their old and outdate values."

Wow, I notice you're not jumping on him for insulting adults. Nice. I guess I've picqued your curiousity. Should I fell honored? Furthermore, he's making assumptions about dan40's age and values. Again, where do I see you correcting him? Oh wait, I don't.

"Change does not happen all at once, but when it does you should embrace it, and not fight the inevitable."

Again, I don't see you correcting BobbyFreddy in his assumption that change is inevitable or that dan40 is not embracing it. I guess I'm the only one here who gets a lecture. Did I win a lottery and not know it?

Archived