"Beach power snorkel" HAL Costa Maya

vincent15

• 4 months later...

I am also wondering about power snorkeling in general. Is it loud to where the fish scurry away? Anyone encounter any problems, etc in comparison to regular snorkeling? Was it a good experience ? Thanks to anyone out there who can give information.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the excursion and had a great time. Once they show you how use the machine, get off on your own and see the reefs. I enjoyed them more than regular snorkeling, a lot less work to move around and dive down.:)

• 3 weeks later...

They have water for free, but they sell margaritas :D, beer, soft drinks, and chips with nacho cheese. The margaritas were very good. No restaurants is this beach area, it was pretty tore up from the last hurricane that hit them.

The beach area they use is for the excursion, which is several miles away from the pier area. If you are looking for a beach closer to the pier there should be close by.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am also wondering about power snorkeling in general. Is it loud to where the fish scurry away? Anyone encounter any problems, etc in comparison to regular snorkeling? Was it a good experience ? Thanks to anyone out there who can give information.

we did power snorkling a couple of years ago on St. Martin and really enjoyed it. The power portion is easy to use (but very heavy out of the water).

Someone else wondered about a child using it - I know that a child could easily use one in the water to go forward, but wonder if a smaller child could manuever it well enough? (I'm not that big - and it was easy for me, so maybe that's not a big issue)

The noise didn't seem to bother the fish at all - nor did it sound too noisy to us.

one caveat - is that a hanging piece of fabric can get sucked up in the motors fan. That happened to me but was easily untangled without too much trouble.

for the most part - you use the power instead of your fins to propell you along. My husband is not a strong swimmer and he loved it because he felt safer, supported by the motors propulsion.

I like to swim and snorkle and would not choose to do it every time because it really has little value for those moments when you just want to hang there in the water and enjoy the fish you are watching - but it was fun and different - and definitely made traveling from one spot to another easier.

Archived