Rhapsody ex Sydney - a few questions

twodudes

Hi All

Well having spent three cruises having to fly half way around the world to the embarkation point, we are very excited to be cruising on Rhapsody October '09 ex Sydney - the port is literally 15 minutes by car from where we live!

This fantastic home port departure leads me to a few questions, as I haven't cruised on RCI for about six years:

1) Can you still take wine onboard for dinner? What about soft drinks, flavoured water (like Gatorade etc).

2) Does the ship charge in USD or AUD whilst cruising in Australian waters?

3) We cruised on Splendour in 2003 - being a sister ship, does anyone know if Rhapsody has had mattresses replaced since then, or do you still need to ask for the eggshell foam layer on your bed?

4) Are there mini-refrigerators in the Oceanview cabins yet.

Thanks all for any insights you have to offer!

Cheers,

twodudes

(aka Ash & Hamish)

Hi Ash and Hamish,

We were on the Rhapsody from Sydney, Oct 19th this year. Great ship, you will both have the best time guaranteed.

No alcohol is allowed aboard, however we took a carton of soft drink with us. When you arrive at the wharf, there is a truck at the kerb that takes all your luggage, including the carton of soft drink. You then line up and go through the customs and boarding process. We just put one of our cabin tags on the carton, away it went with the rest of our gear, and was delivered to our room.

Our sailing was all in $US, however I had heard a rumour that they were thinking of altering it to $AU. Personally cant see how this is possible, due to the huge cost it would take. As for the mattresses.........they were brand new, and the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. So comfy that I checked them out properly, and found they were Italian made. These were even better than a 5 star hotel.

No fridges in the outside cabins, only in the suites. You do get an ice bucket with lid each day, and on demand of course, plus all cabins have a kettle with tea, coffee, hot chocolate and sugar sachets. Milk I got from the Windjammer in a popper style container. You will love the food...my mouth is watering as I type. Plenty of it and just about 24/7. You will find it hard to book an aussie ship after being on the Rhapsody, as there is just no comparison.

Any questions feel free to email me jenhsvau@yahoo.com.au

Hoping you have a great time....we are jealous!!!

Cheers,

Jen

Thanks Jen, I really appreciate you taking the time to write. Sounds great - so pleased about the mattresses! Nothing worse than a bad sleep, but I guess a few drinks at the Schooner Bar will always help!

Cheers,

Ash

Hi guys,

We were on the ROS ex Sydney 22/11. This was our first cruise and it was fantastic! Loved the fact that it was only 1.25 hours from locking our front door to sitting down with our lunch in the Windjammer (and that's checking in six people in two cabins).

You can't strictly take alcohol on board, but I do know of people who did with not much bother (within reason, of course).

We were in a balcony stateroom and had a fridge as well as the daily ice bucket. My parents were in an o/view, but no fridge.

The beds were fantastic - very comfortable.

USD on board, with the fluctuating rate, it's a bit of a pain but we pre-bought travellers cheques (old school, I know) when the rates seemed ok (a few 85c ones) and it pretty much worked out even.

We boarded at 12 and were the only people checking in at the time - apparently between 1.30 and 3.00 is pretty busy.

We're booking again for next year...counting the days. You'll have a great time.

Thanks again for the update. We just confirmed our booking today for the 17 October ROS ex Sydney to Perth, via Brisbane, Cairns, PNG, Darwin and so on. Can't wait!

Our budget doesn't stretch to a balcony this time, but as I keep telling my other half, it's more money for the Schooner bar :)

For all those seasoned Rhapsody cruisers...we are currently booked in an outside cabin midship on Deck 3. Personally the window doesn't really interest me that much - but my partner occasionally feels the odd bit seasick and would be worried about not being able to "see" outside.

If you had the choice, would you go for a higher deck inside cabin or stay in the outside midship cabin?

Cheers,

Ash

For all those seasoned Rhapsody cruisers...we are currently booked in an outside cabin midship on Deck 3. Personally the window doesn't really interest me that much - but my partner occasionally feels the odd bit seasick and would be worried about not being able to "see" outside.

If you had the choice, would you go for a higher deck inside cabin or stay in the outside midship cabin?

We had an oceanview midships deck 3 (3064) and were very happy with it. Rhapsody is a very accessible ship and quick and easy to get to and from your cabin to anywhere onboard. IMHO I would stick with the ocean view... especially a cruise longer than 7 nights because an inside is very dark and can be claustrophobic. Just to be able to see outside and have natural daylight is worth it :) Have a great time... we loved Rhapsody!

Thanks Kerry :) We would only go for one of the Superior Inside staterooms on Deck 8 and for some reason these aren't for sale at present - perhaps they are holding them back? It's a fair comment that 17 nights without a window might be a push - but I am always looking for more money to spend onboard :D

Cheers,

Ash

Archived