Travel to seattle question

OHCRUZERS

We are going to Alaska next May out of Seattle. Question: has anyone ever taken the train from Chicago out to Seattle rather than flying? Just curious if it truly arrives on time in Seattle on Sunday morning to allow time to get to the ship to leave at 4 p.m. Looks like a great opportunity to see the West with all the sights, and leave the driving to Amtrak. Thanks!!!!:D

We are going to Alaska next May out of Seattle. Question: has anyone ever taken the train from Chicago out to Seattle rather than flying? Just curious if it truly arrives on time in Seattle on Sunday morning to allow time to get to the ship to leave at 4 p.m. Looks like a great opportunity to see the West with all the sights, and leave the driving to Amtrak. Thanks!!!!:D

Last Amtrak I took from Oakland, CA to Seattle was 5 hours late. Cross country could be worse. Passenger trains have to yiels to frieghts. Fly SWA and take the train home...?

We have taken the train several times from Seattle to the midwest and I absolutely would not count on it being on time. Our trips have ranged from 1 hour to 14 hours late. If you want to take the train you should be scheduled to arrive AT LEAST 1 day prior to ships departure. We absolutely love the train, but schedule can be erratic. Lots to see in Seattle before cruising:)

We are crusing on the Dawn next Nov out of NY and we thought it would be cool to take the train from Dallas to NY until we checked into it. My lord.. I can't remember but seems like we would have had to change trains several time and I think it would take like 2 or 3 days with a lot of the time waiting on changing trains, like two or three hours inbetween. We opted to do that some other time.. LOL.

I travelled from Milwaukee to Portland by Amtrak a couple of years ago. While it was interesting..I'd not do it again. Very long, very uncomfortable sleeping accommodations (I did rent a sleeper...). As for sights -- seems like anything "interesting" happened in the middle of the night when it was too dark to see, and during the day we managed to pull in to some areas of some small towns that I'd not describe as "scenic".

It was also much more expensive than a flight..and as people indicated, trains are delayed all the time. If you DO decide to do this, plan to get in at least a day early!

Archived