What area of Ft lauderdale is good and what is not??

thesawch

You might also consider the Gallery One Doubletree on E. Sunrise Blvd. It is next to a mall (1/2 block) and restaurants, and there is a CVS across the street.

Thanks royalcruz, I will be staying at the Doubletree on Wednesday night (just love saying that) and I knew there was a mall close but was wondering about a drug store. Great info.

Laura

Thanks royalcruz, I will be staying at the Doubletree on Wednesday night (just love saying that) and I knew there was a mall close but was wondering about a drug store. Great info.

Laura

Right across the street on Sunrise there is a CVS (Drugstore). :)

Laura

You're welcome. That's a nice hotel. It's only about 3 blocks from the beach, too (and 24 hr Primante's pizza on the beach...yum!)!

TBN Hubby here,

Hate to be negative, but there is reason to be cautious in FLL area. Stayed in that area once pre-cruise. TBN wanted a book so we stopped at Barnes and Noble about a block south from the Adventura Mall. That appears to be a real upscale area.

Since it was only going to be a few minutes, we didn't take our portable but outdated GPS off the dash. Returned within 15 minutes to find the passenger side window broken, the GPS and my wife's knitting bag (way more $$$$ there than it sounds like) long gone.

Luckily we were able to find a cooperative and efficient glass shop (think the name was Cheepo's, :)) that replaced the glass in time for us to make our cruise.

Moral of the story: This IS a nice area but it is also a large city so take precautions accordingly. Do not ever leave anything visible in your vehicle, even for a "few"minutes.

TBN Hubby here,

Hate to be negative, but there is reason to be cautious in FLL area. Stayed in that area once pre-cruise. TBN wanted a book so we stopped at Barnes and Noble about a block south from the Adventura Mall. That appears to be a real upscale area.

Since it was only going to be a few minutes, we didn't take our portable but outdated GPS off the dash. Returned within 15 minutes to find the passenger side window broken, the GPS and my wife's knitting bag (way more $$$$ there than it sounds like) long gone.

Luckily we were able to find a cooperative and efficient glass shop (think the name was Cheepo's, :)) that replaced the glass in time for us to make our cruise.

Moral of the story: This IS a nice area but it is also a large city so take precautions accordingly. Do not ever leave anything visible in your vehicle, even for a "few"minutes.

That would be in the north miami area. I rarely go down there, but can tell you that in south florida there are signs all over that say to lock your doors and hide any valuables.

we will be staying in the renaissance hotel on 17 street for a precruise and i would like to go to sawgrass mills is it far away from the hotel and how could we get there thank you

Yes it is quite a drive. Sawgrass is about 25-30 minutes west of Fort Lauderdale beach on Sunrise Blvd. The cheapest way to get there would probably be to rent a car taxies would be way too expensive.

Yep, too far without a car. Assuming a car, I'd take 17th back to US1 South and pick up I-595 (it only goes West from there). Get off on the Flamingo Rd exit and head north. After you cross Sunrise Blvd, you'll start seeing mall entrances on the left (look for the large alligator signs).

Venusleo1, Any opinions on the marriott in north Ft Lauderdale ? I am flying in to orlando and staying at the marriott for 4 days. I have no problem with public transportation if its cheaper but does it make more sense to rent a car?

Venusleo1, Any opinions on the marriott in north Ft Lauderdale ? I am flying in to orlando and staying at the marriott for 4 days. I have no problem with public transportation if its cheaper but does it make more sense to rent a car?

That is not an area to stay in for 4 days without a car. Having a car will make a huge difference. It's also the best way to get from Orlando to north Fort Lauderdale.

That is not an area to stay in for 4 days without a car. Having a car will make a huge difference. It's also the best way to get from Orlando to north Fort Lauderdale.

Royalcruz, your cat's pretty markings still make me smile every time I see your avatar. :D

We recently (Jan 16) stayed at the Rennasance right across the street from the port. We loved it and I highly reccomend. We also ate at the Bimini which is in the same parking lot and within an easy walk. The food was awesome with very reasonable prices. It was a little loud because they had a guy playing and singing but it wasn't too loud. The bar must be very good because it was crowded.

Big Al

Do we need a car to get to restaurants and a drugstore? This is our first time staying away from 17th St area.

Thanks to all that give this site information!

You are staying near the restaurants Islamorada Fish Co. and Rustic Inn. The closest drug stores are CVS and Walgreens at 2700-2800 blocks on Stirling Road, which is about 2 miles away.

Hi Stephanie,

Hello my name is Tim and we are coming to the area in April for a cruise and I have some questions for you, if I may...

1. This time we are staying at the Best Western /cruise/air port, is this a nice hotel??

2. we would like to know where there are primitive craft shops around the area have you seen a Country sampler Magizine, well thats the stuff we are after.

or Antique stores would like to get close to the hotel but we are willing to travel LOL is there any in the Malls, we were at the Sawgrass 2 yrs ago but we did not have enought time to cover the whole mall, its alot like our mall here at home have you herd of WEST EDMONONTON MALL in Canada its great!!!!! and we have lots of snow if you want right now !!!LOL

So I guess thats all we need to know right now so if you could answer that would be great thanks

Tim from Cold Canada

hey everyone. i saw this post and figured i would add my story just for future warning. I stayed in a nice hotel the night before my cruise on carnival ( sorry i dont remember what hotel, but i know it was 4 star). Around 10 pm I got hungry and walked to a local taco bell that was right across the street. Before I even got there I had two cars yell stuff ---,because I was white :( ---and when coming back a car pulled up and asked if I was an undercover cop. The four people in the car then asked if i needed drugs; when I said no they pulled a blanket off the middle seat and underneath was a handgun. They told me I better not be a cop or else and drove off. It was pretty scary. So for future warning to everyone, i would recomend not going out too late and always have someone with you. best of luck!!!

hey everyone. i saw this post and figured i would add my story just for future warning. I stayed in a nice hotel the night before my cruise on carnival ( sorry i dont remember what hotel, but i know it was 4 star). Around 10 pm I got hungry and walked to a local taco bell that was right across the street. Before I even got there I had two cars yell stuff ---,because I was white :( ---and when coming back a car pulled up and asked if I was an undercover cop. The four people in the car then asked if i needed drugs; when I said no they pulled a blanket off the middle seat and underneath was a handgun. They told me I better not be a cop or else and drove off. It was pretty scary. So for future warning to everyone, i would recomend not going out too late and always have someone with you. best of luck!!!

There are 3 Taco Bells in Fort Lauderdale, on W. Broward Blvd, Oakland Park Blvd, and on S. Federal Hwy. None of these are across the street from 4 star hotels. Are you sure that you were in Fort Lauderdale? Do you remember the cross streets?

There are 3 Taco Bells in Fort Lauderdale, on W. Broward Blvd, Oakland Park Blvd, and on S. Federal Hwy. None of these are across the street from 4 star hotels. Are you sure that you were in Fort Lauderdale? Do you remember the cross streets?

Your totaly right, it wasnt a four star hotel, it was located on s. federal hwy. We stayed there for a night and a bus took us over the next morning.

Your totaly right, it wasnt a four star hotel, it was located on s. federal hwy. We stayed there for a night and a bus took us over the next morning.

That isn't even a drug or gang neighborhood. I had an office a block from there and felt pretty safe. The closest hotel is the Comfort Inn hotel & suites, which is probably a 2 star, but there are a couple of 1 star motels too. Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are about 3-4 blocks from Taco Bell. I know someone who lives a block from there for the last 5 yrs, and she walks at night (doesn't have a car) and has never been threatened. Anyway, it sounds like you went through a really scary experience that night.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful information. Based on the thread, I was considering these two hotels for a pre night stay and was wondering if anyone had any other better suggestions or if I should focus on these two.

Hilton Garden Inn Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport, Dania

Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel

Archived