Dress Code on NCL

Giantfan13

So it sounds likei if I was to choose a full length gown to go to the specialty resturant on thier optional formal night I would be pretty much out of place? How about a knee length cocktail dress, would that be better?

I do like the idea of crusing on a casual ship, but also would enjoy to dress it up one night too.

I've cruised every couple of years, the last one in April on the Gem repositioning. I personally don't like to get dressy. I put on a nice skirt and blouse and my DH wears slacks and a nice shirt. I like to see what others are wearing, so I pay attention. That trip and all the others I've noticed that everyone dressed differently from tuxes and gowns for some, short cocktail dresses and suits for others down to the casual we wore. Some were in jeans and sleeveless tops too. What I found interesting was that everyone seemed completely comfortable with what they wore. So if you want to wear a gown, you won't be alone and you'll find yourself comfortable doing it.

Acceptable attire on NCL is resort casual, and jeans are permitted in all but one dining room. So I'm not sure what you mean by "is this just because." As several of us have said, we saw no abuse of the dress code on our recent cruises. If you're looking for a dress-up crowd, suggest you try HAL or Celebrity, where suits and tuxedos are required--for no good reason, in my opinion--on certain nights. Neither, by the way, is a "higher priced cruise line." Azamara, Oceania, and Windstar are higher priced, but also have resort casual dress codes like NCL.

So, let me get this right.... Your opinion is that those people that like to dress up in "suits and tuxedos" are doing it for no good reason? Well, when we cruise we like to dress up, and to us it's for a very good reason, we enjoy it! Besides, it kind of makes up for those of you that are in the dining room dressed like slobs in your shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps. I suspect it makes you feel a little uncomfortable:p!

So, let me get this right.... Your opinion is that those people that like to dress up in "suits and tuxedos" are doing it for no good reason?

I think that sottovoce meant the cruise lines' requirement for suits/tuxedos (i.e., a required formal dress code on certain nights) did not have a good rationale, in sottovoce's opinion. I did not interpret the comment as saying anything one way or another about an individual's rationale for dressing up.

I think that sottovoce meant the cruise lines' requirement for suits/tuxedos (i.e., a required formal dress code on certain nights) did not have a good rationale, in sottovoce's opinion. I did not interpret the comment as saying anything one way or another about an individual's rationale for dressing up.

That's how I read it, too.

I was on a 13 day cruise on the Spirit recently (late October). There were no signs stating anything about attire. The Freestyle Daily did have a small fine print line about no jeans in one of the main dining rooms (Windows). This was routinely ignored, by both passengers, and staff. I asked about it twice. Once I was told it was a 'suggestion.' The second time I was told the hostess try but sometimes don't notice.

I saw jeans, shorts, tank tops, and flip flops.

Rich

On the Jewel (Baltics cruise) in May I was turned away from the MDR because I was in jeans. We had just rushed back from an excursion and the dining room was about to close and I had no time to change. Frankly, I didn't even think about my having jeans on. I was, however, directed to the alternate dining room (Azura), where there is no restriction on jeans. (During the cruise, I saw two others turned away for jeans.)

Well great and thanks for all of the posts to my question....

Like I said for a night we do like to dress up, not to mention we just finsihed a QM2 cruise for which I bought a gown for that was really comfortable and fun to wear.

I was just thinking if we end up in a bar for some dancing or something after diiner, which I usually do!, and the whole group is in shorts that might be weird to me, but then I can always change, cant I? Anyway, I think the gown will come along with me on this cruise! Thanks.

So, let me get this right.... Your opinion is that those people that like to dress up in "suits and tuxedos" are doing it for no good reason? Well, when we cruise we like to dress up, and to us it's for a very good reason, we enjoy it! Besides, it kind of makes up for those of you that are in the dining room dressed like slobs in your shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps. I suspect it makes you feel a little uncomfortable:p!

No, her opinion (which you quoted) was that REQUIRING that kind of dress is "for no good reason." I don't agree with that -- some lines REQUIRE that kind of dress because they are attempting to attract a certain type of passenger. But she didn't say anything about you personally, so I'm not sure how you thought it was okay to call her a slob, wearing shorts, t-shirts, and baseball caps in the dining room, and so on. You wearing a ballgown or tux doesn't make me uncomfortable -- you calling other people names, when you clearly mis-read their post -- well, that does. Liking one dress code over another one isn't personal.

Well great and thanks for all of the posts to my question....

Like I said for a night we do like to dress up, not to mention we just finsihed a QM2 cruise for which I bought a gown for that was really comfortable and fun to wear.

I was just thinking if we end up in a bar for some dancing or something after diiner, which I usually do!, and the whole group is in shorts that might be weird to me, but then I can always change, cant I? Anyway, I think the gown will come along with me on this cruise! Thanks.

I think you will have a great time -- we got one of my favorite photos ever on an NCL ship where we brought along my SO's tux and my sparkly, sequined dress. We wanted a nice formal photo to share with family, and got one -- plus we had a really good time enjoying the ship that evening. :D Have a great trip!

If I misread the post, my apologies. You know, whatever..... It just gets me when I read all these posts on the NCL board from people that think there's something wrong with those of us that prefer to get dressed up. I, myself, when on vacation prefer to dress up. It's the only time we get to do it and we look fabulous I might add!!:p

I have a cruise booked for Aug 09 on the Jewel. I have sailed NCL quite a few times in the past, but not in the past few years. During that time, I have sailed Carnival several times and have noticed that the dress code has really taken a beating on Carnival. Yes there are still the formal nights, but less and less people dress up. During the other nights people come into the dining rooms in flip flops, shorts, t-shirts etc, and rarely is anything said about it. I was wondering if the same sort of thing has happened on NCL cruises. In the past, I rarely saw anyone in the dining room who wasn't, at least, adequately dressed, as NCL requests, but is that policy being overlooked???.

To be honest, I was never a big fan of formal nights, no matter what cruise line I sailed, but I did notice that less and less people go 'formal' these days.

How is the dress code on NCL being observed??.

We've been on the Jewel and others, Princess included and found most people dressed for the occasion especially in the dining rooms but, let me tell you, we're doing the Spirit in April and Princess next year and due to the restrictions on luggage, most of our dress clothes are staying home.

Its hard to do more than 12 nites with just a couple suitcases. Blame the airlines, they forced us into casual clothes:mad:

If I misread the post, my apologies. You know, whatever..... It just gets me when I read all these posts on the NCL board from people that think there's something wrong with those of us that prefer to get dressed up. I, myself, when on vacation prefer to dress up. It's the only time we get to do it and we look fabulous I might add!!:p

I bet you do! :) We always do! We cruise for itinerary and price in that order, and comply with the dress code on whatever ship that puts us on. While we prefer NCL, Freestyle, and resort casual, I do have some sparkly, packable black jersey separates, and my SO owns his tux, so we bring them when we need to and have some great photos from that. I completely understand those who love doing that -- though on our last true "formal night" cruise (HAL in Alaska) we not just "felt overdressed," -- we WERE overdressed on formal night. There were folks in denim, people in sparkly sweatsuits, and folks with "bolo ties" with their "Western suits," and so on. It didn't faze us -- we got great photos, whistles from our friends on board, and had a great time. It's just that more and more I don't think even those lines which state "formal" as the dress code are actually doing anything to enforce it -- my review of our HAL cruise (which was 99.5% positive) said that the line needs either to ENFORCE the dress code, or DROP it -- I'll comply with the code on any ship that suits my travel needs, but please don't have a meaningless dress "code."

That's how I read it, too.

That's how I interpreted it to.

Your point is well taken BUT that is what NCL and Freestyle is all about.

For those people, like you, who like to get dressed up you can and you can feel just fine! It is your vacation so go for what YOU want on your cruise.

The same is true for those who like a more casual look vacation. Those people who would rather wear polo shirts, kahkis, etc and leave the dress clothes at home can do so every night on NCL and feel just fine! It is THEIR vacation and they too can go for what they want on their cruise.

NCL allows both groups to "have it their way" with Freestyle.

I think the bigger issue are those who think that having to share a dining room with those not dressed up is wrong and should be changed. These selfish people want to be able to do what they want to do...dress up... while at the same time denying others the freedom of choice to dress as they like.

As I have said many times before... if what someone else in the dining room bothers you so much that it ruins your dinner, you need to seek professional help.

Archived