Hi Everyone, I'm a cruise newbie and have a bunch of questions

edselone

My husband and I are taking our first cruise and our first trip to Mexico on the Norweign Star along with another couple (they are first timers too) in mid-January.

I am hoping for some info. First, are there hairdryers in the rooms? Do we need converters? What about being able to press something, do they have a laundry area or do you use a laundry service? Also, what kind of "extra" costs should we expect (i.e. alcoholic drinks, dinners, tips, shows, etc.)? When we are off the ship are travelers checks best, or credit cards? What about cash, how much to take with you for day excursions?

Any info you can give me will be most appreciated. :p

Yes, you should have a hairdryer in the room. No converters needed.

Don't know about Norweign's laundry--

Alcohol and sodas will cost extra--you'll charge it to your room. You will need cash for room service tipping, cabs, porters....

Shows and most meals are included in your fare....do you have the brochure for Norwegian? That should tell you all of the details.

When you're in port, most large stores will take MC/Visa....and of course, American dollars are fine. How much you bring depends on you! We generally don't bring too much--any large purchases we plan on making will be by credit card. (Never take all of your cash or all of your credit cards ashore!!! Leave some in your room safe!) Travelers checks are a pain, IMO...just bring cash.

Generally, you won't need much money during excursions....some folks will tip the guide, if they have really "interacted" with the tour guide. You don't have to, but some will. If you'll be stopping for souvenir shopping, then bring some money!

Welcome to cruise critic and hope you have a great first cruise and are hooked like the rest of us! I hope that you will post your questions on the thread for your specific cruise line, you will find lots of helpful people there that can answer any question you have specific to your ship. I can only answer in general since I have not sailed on that particular line.

You can expect to have your tips automatically put on your ship and sail card--the ship is a cashless society, however you should tip your room service personnel a couple dollars or more depending on how much you order. Don't forget to have some cash for tips for the guys at the pier where you drop off your luggage. You can always add extra tips for those who exceed your expectations if you wish at the end of the cruise. We generally bring around $50 in ones with us to make sure we have enough small bills. Drinks will be $5-9 depending on what you order. Beer is generally a bit cheaper. You can spend extra to eat in the various venues, but we never do. The food in the main dining room is fine with us.

We generally take a couple of credit cards on shore with us and small bills--generally around $100 above the cost of our excursions and no more. Travelers checks are not always accepted in port towns, but you can cash them on the ship. Don' count on the ATM on board as it sometimes runs out of money. We do not do a lot of shopping, but want to have the credit cards just in case. We also always split our money between the two of us so if something happens the other one hopefuly wil have cash/credit. Please call your credit card company and let them know that you will be out of the country so that they don't put a fraud alert on your card and shut it down while you are trying to use it. You can check out the port of call threads for your exact ports for some information on what there is to do in each port and what the approximate cost is.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

we always take travelers checks and haven't had trouble using them in port..(but i generally cash them on the ship)

i take some cash too...i try not to use the ATMs on ships...TOO HIGH of a surcharge..like 5 bucks. i HAVE used them in ports...mainly in SJ and ST Thomas...but only at banks, not just random ATMs

you wont need a converter, but you may want an extension cord or power strip if you have lots of stuff to plug in.

welcome to CC and welcome to cruising.

Some small street vendors and very small shops only take cash, or other times, the credit card companies charge a currency conversion surcharge. Check with your card company for that one. You will need ones for tipping sky caps, porters at the pier, room service, etc. As far as shopping with cash, I don't usually take any denomenation over a $20. If I need to break a $100, I'll do it on the ship.

NCL has restaurants who charge surcharges and those that don't - both are completely optional and up to you. There's shopping on board, but that would go on your account. Photos, jewelry, etc are always for sale and would go on your account as well. Pop and alcohol is extra. Excursions are extra.

Archived