clothing for a South America cruise

brusu80

We will be cruising on the Celebrity Infiniti March 1. 14 days from Buenos Aires to Chile. Since it will be warm at both of these locations and cool or cold in the middle (around the Cape), how much cold weather gear do we need?

As you cruise southward it will get cold and windy. I have done this itinerary several times and recommend that you bring a jacket, gloves, hat, scarf, sweater/fleece so that you can enjoy being outside when it is cold/windy. This applies to standing on the outside deck from time to time and on certain excursions.

Everyones tolerance for cold is different and as we all know weather changes from day to day but expect that at time you will experience temperatures in the 40's and it will feel cooler with the winds.

Keith

My husband and I are also on the same cruise. After researching the advice on the various sites I am taking mainly cold weather clothes, even in Buenos Aires yesterday it was only 20C and raining. The main problem seems to be the wind chill. I shall be leaving the bikini at home!

Dabear speaks the truth, and we've done this cruise twice...once in January, once in late February. Layering gives you the chance to manage the unexpected, which is to be expected.

Last February, BA and Valpo/Santiago were quite warm, Puerto Madryn and (cough, cough....stale forest fires) Puerto Montt were comfortable (mid-60ish, Ushuaia was delightful at about 50s, but Punta Arenas was unbelievably warm (near 70, instead of maybe upper 40s to 50s....our tour guide to Magdalena Island was uncomfortably warm, but my little feathered friends didn't seem to mind, and the ferry trip was on a sheet of glass, it was so unbelievably calm, all this just after a major storm with probably 40 to 50 mph winds and temps in the 40s that came through...fortunately just after we made it round my namesake and even lingered a bit at the "albatross") . And the glaciers in the Beagle Channel were as spectacular as ever!!

Enjoy!!

Cabo

Archived