Snorkeling-should I get a wetsuit?

gargoyle999

I'm not a diver but have found I like snorkeling. I have only snorkeled a couple times so far but in Feb I will be snorkeling in Key West, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

In 2010 we will be taking a cruise to Hawaii with 6 port stops and I would expect to snorkel a lot there as well.

Do any of you use a wetsuit when just snorkeling? I'm trying to decide if I should get one or not for just snorkeling.

A full neoprene wetsuit would add greatly to your buoyancy, making it pretty difficult to dive below the surface. You might look into getting a Polartec, or fleece-lined lycra suit which provides some thermal insulation without adding buoyancy.

My wife doesn't like to dive below the surface and is sensitive to the sun. As a result, we bought her a 1mm Henderson Microprene wetsuit. It keeps the sun off of her sensitive skin (redhead), helps her keep her buoyancy, and protects her any possible abrasions. She's very happy with her wetsuit.

http://www.hendersonusa.com/index.php?page=detail&lang=eng&lineID=7&productID=115&parent=microprene

There are several benefits to wearing a wetsuit while snorkeling:

• thermal protection, you will likely want that, especially in Hawaii where the water is often cooler than the Caribbean
  • abrasion protection
  • Solar radiation protection, better than any sunscreen you can put on your skin
  • better floatation if you want to stay on the surface

But, if you want to freedive down, you'll find the added flotation from the wet suit an issue.

I found I was much colder snorkeling in Maui, Hawaii than the Caribbean. The water is noticeably colder in Hawaii. The sun isn't as intense so you don't seem to get the warming effect on your back as in the Caribbean. I snorkeled everyday in Maui and used my full 3mm wetsuit. My husband rented a shroty at a nearby shop ans he was glad that he did. I always get cold so I was very comfortable but he said he was also. I would have been too cold to snorkel without a wetsuit -if I was in the water for very long. We only snorkeled off the beaches and we were the only ones with wetsuits. I think people looked at us funny. But I didn't care, I wanted to be warm.

Most people only snorkeled a very short time. I am sure it was becasue they were cold. I was able to stay in the water for about an hour. Which really isn't that long whenther is so much to see. We had a great time watching an octupus sneak out of it's home and change all sorts of colors when he would see us.

Depending on your plans, it is easy to rent a wetsuit. Then you don't have the hassel of packing them, trying to hang them to dry, etc. Check around, wetsuits are often included in the price of the excursion or rented through them ($5) or easily rented in the touristy parts of town -by cruise ports. We saw many places to rent them.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm leaning towards getting one, but wondering if I'll get weird looks too. I'll also sort of look like Shamu so I'm sure that won't help either! :)

I haven't tried to dive down below the water surface but I'll have to think about the added buoyancy as I'm already "naturally buoyant" I don't need more, especially in salt water! :D I'd like to try going below the surface though as I get more experience.

Do you wear anything under a wet suit?

I'm sort of grossed out by the thought of using rented stuff, that's why I bought my own mask and especially snorkel. I've read some comments about rented wetsuits as well that were not too pleasant.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm leaning towards getting one, but wondering if I'll get weird looks too. I'll also sort of look like Shamu so I'm sure that won't help either! :)

I haven't tried to dive down below the water surface but I'll have to think about the added buoyancy as I'm already "naturally buoyant" I don't need more, especially in salt water! :D I'd like to try going below the surface though as I get more experience.

Do you wear anything under a wet suit?

I'm sort of grossed out by the thought of using rented stuff, that's why I bought my own mask and especially snorkel. I've read some comments about rented wetsuits as well that were not too pleasant.

Definately wear your swimsuit under your wetsuit. You will get weird looks if you strip off your wetsuit without anything unerneath:p

You will be very bouyant with a wetsuit on. It will be hard to go belwo the surface. My experience is that you don't need to go below the surface. The water is pretty clear and you can see everything from above.

If you want the vantage point of seeing things from below then I would recommend snuba (unless you are willing to get scuba certified. We are certified and I love it. I would rather scuba then snorkel anytime.)

Definately wear your swimsuit under your wetsuit. You will get weird looks if you strip off your wetsuit without anything unerneath:p

You will be very bouyant with a wetsuit on. It will be hard to go belwo the surface. My experience is that you don't need to go below the surface. The water is pretty clear and you can see everything from above.

If you want the vantage point of seeing things from below then I would recommend snuba (unless you are willing to get scuba certified. We are certified and I love it. I would rather scuba then snorkel anytime.)

Ok...I'll be sure to wear my swimsuit. :D

There is a dive shop in our area where we bought our snorkel gear so we are toying with the idea of taking scuba lessons before we go to Hawaii. And of course I'm hoping for many more trips back to the Caribbean!

We tried snuba in 2006 and I had trouble getting the pressure in my ears equalized so I don't want to risk that again, ended up with a bad ear infection. When we went there were four of us on the same tanks so we had to stay close together and I felt sort of pressured to keep up with the group. For now I guess I'll be happy to just float on the surface. :)

Hi,

I have a Henderson 3mm hyper-stretch full suit I snorkel in. It's made from a neoprene/lycra type material so it's very flexible, provides warmth but I can free down on a reef with it without any problem. So if you're going to invest in a wet suit, look at "hyper-stretch" like suits (manufacturers may use other terms but stretch is always in their descriptions). Also the other added value is they expand up to 20% so if your weight fluxuates (like at the beginning and then end of a cruise) your suit still fits. :)

Randall

P.S. I'm very sun sensitive and it helps alot. Also I always get stares the first time I break it out on an excursion, first stares are confusion on why I'm putting on a wet suit, then envyous stares as I get back on board toasty warm as they're all shivering. :p

Hi,

I have a Henderson 3mm hyper-stretch full suit I snorkel in. It's made from a neoprene/lycra type material so it's very flexible, provides warmth but I can free down on a reef with it without any problem. So if you're going to invest in a wet suit, look at "hyper-stretch" like suits (manufacturers may use other terms but stretch is always in their descriptions). Also the other added value is they expand up to 20% so if your weight fluxuates (like at the beginning and then end of a cruise) your suit still fits. :)

Randall

P.S. I'm very sun sensitive and it helps alot. Also I always get stares the first time I break it out on an excursion, first stares are confusion on why I'm putting on a wet suit, then envyous stares as I get back on board toasty warm as they're all shivering. :p

ok thanks..that makes me feel better! :)

I am thinking about a 3mil full suit as well. I'm looking at Bare Elastek that is "super stretch". I like it because I can get it in 2x but "short".

There is a thread here about a great site for beginner snorkelers. I went to that and they say they look like giant Kalamada olives in their wetsuits but at least they stay warm. I had to ask DW what a Kalamada olive was but I guess that's what I'll look like too. :)

But thanks everyone for helping me! I may get some weird looks and maybe the water will not even be cool enough to really need it. But it will be February not July or August. And at least it will keep the sun from burning me.

MY wife never seems to get weird stares wearing her wetsuit. She wore her 1mm in Hawaii and although it protected her from the sun it just wasn't quite warm enough.

When diving in the Caribbean I use a 3mm shorty, but in Hawaii I use a 5mm full.

I don't think you'll ever regret getting a wetsuit.

MY wife never seems to get weird stares wearing her wetsuit. She wore her 1mm in Hawaii and although it protected her from the sun it just wasn't quite warm enough.

When diving in the Caribbean I use a 3mm shorty, but in Hawaii I use a 5mm full.

I don't think you'll ever regret getting a wetsuit.

Now I'm starting to think I should do like you and have a shorty and a full. Someone on my roll call posted the water temps are going to be low 80's for our port stops. But I'm also going to snorkel in Key West and that is looking more like low 70's next month.

I'm not sure if I'll think low 70's is cold or not. Considering it's 1 degree outside right now and going down to -8 tonight that seems really warm...but maybe in water that won't be the case. :)

Maybe a shorty would be good for the Caribbean and full for Key West and Hawaii next year.

I'm not sure if I'll think low 70's is cold or not. Considering it's 1 degree outside right now and going down to -8 tonight that seems really warm...but maybe in water that won't be the case. :)

Your body loses heat about 20 times faster in water than in air. Low 70s would feel cold fairly quickly (depending on your personal cold tollerance). For me, I would wear a 3mm full suit and possibly add a 3mm shorty over it if I was going to be in the water for a long time (or doing multiple dives). 70 is where I seriously think about switching to the 5mm full (can you tell I have too many wetsuits?).

ok thanks..that makes me feel better! :)

I am thinking about a 3mil full suit as well. I'm looking at Bare Elastek that is "super stretch". I like it because I can get it in 2x but "short".

There is a thread here about a great site for beginner snorkelers. I went to that and they say they look like giant Kalamada olives in their wetsuits but at least they stay warm. I had to ask DW what a Kalamada olive was but I guess that's what I'll look like too. :)

But thanks everyone for helping me! I may get some weird looks and maybe the water will not even be cool enough to really need it. But it will be February not July or August. And at least it will keep the sun from burning me.

Kalamatas, and others:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Olivpick.html

Frankly, I see very few snorkelers wearing wet suits in the Caribbean, and I certainly wouldn't bother with it for just one port. I snorkeled ff shore reefs at Key West in Winter and never experienced a chill. The only place I ever chilled was Nassau. I got back in the boat for @10 minutes, warmed up and got back in the water.

I wear a rash guard shirt. It's a good alternative. It provides some warmth as well as a bit of UV protection. It also helps to ward off the little stingy things. They are relatively inexpensive and take up little luggage space.

Rash Guards are designed for surfers. If, like me, you have a one pack instead of a six you'll want a "loose" fit. Henderson is a good brand for that.

Examples:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/redsail/Categories?category=SHOP+Red+Sail+Sports+Aruba

Archived