Pacific Dawn late in tomorrow

Can anyone advise the following regarding cruises coming in late/going out :(;

- Will P&O provide a standard letter stating the cruise was delayed for mechanical reasons - I need this to claim extra accom/food costs from my travel insurance.

- Can bags be checked in at Wharf 8 before the ship gets in? I don't want to be lugging my stuff around all night!

- Do P&O usually do anything special in situations like this? IE onboard credit?

I understand these things happen, but you just don't want it happening on your cruise!

Thanks!

You'll still be able to drop your bags off in the morning and then just wander around the city until boarding at nighttime.

Not sure about the on board credit, but they usually do something like that to make up for the inconvenience.

Hi

In 2006 we were getting on the Pacific Sun, we had put our lugguage in and 1 group of friends got through into the customs area. They stopped us and we were at the head of the line and there we stayed for hours because a window cleaner had fallen to his death. Then you have to wait for police, crime squad everyone. It was very sad as the body couldn't be moved but they had a sheet over him. Our friends got caught in the glass gangway and thats where they had to wait. We finally got onto the ship at about 5.30pm, we arrived at 1.00pm. P&O were bringing out cups of cold water to the very busy waiting area but we didn't get any on board credit for the delay and we certainly didn't expect any. We got under way just after 7.00

Tania

Can anyone advise the following regarding cruises coming in late/going out :(;

- Will P&O provide a standard letter stating the cruise was delayed for mechanical reasons - I need this to claim extra accom/food costs from my travel insurance.

- Can bags be checked in at Wharf 8 before the ship gets in? I don't want to be lugging my stuff around all night!

- Do P&O usually do anything special in situations like this? IE onboard credit?

I understand these things happen, but you just don't want it happening on your cruise!

Thanks!

hi steggles, normally the security people are at wharf 8 early but seeing the PD wont be in until 2pm they may not be there early so you may have to carry your luggage around with you as you cant leave it at the terminal and expect it to be there when you get back

you could ask the purser for a letter once onboard to claim on your insurance for any out of pocket expenses

if you have to skip any island to make up time they may give you some OBC but the passengers who will be late arriving wanting to disembark if they have booked their own flights and not thru p&o they will have to pay top $$$'s to fly home or stay in sydney overnight and they should be able to claim on their travel insurance

rkmw

Yes ... just heard from my wife who is on board PD. Apparently she was given a free phone call. She says they estimate arrival in Sydney at 5pm tomorrow (Thursday).

My wife and I sailed on this ship from L.A. to Sydney on its last voyage as the Regal Princess ... and during that cruise we spent a couple of days going very slowly after one of the engines failed. Looks like this may be a "feature".

hi steggles, normally the security people are at wharf 8 early but seeing the PD wont be in until 2pm they may not be there early so you may have to carry your luggage around with you as you cant leave it at the terminal and expect it to be there when you get back

There'll people at the wharf all day - as all the people that are flying into Sydney for the cruise will have to be catered for. Not everyone's going to be able to stay at home and go in at their leisure. All the people arriving at the Airport will be transfered to Darling Harbour as per normal. My guess is they'll try to have as much of the pre-immigration/security checkin stuff done before the PD arrives, as well as all the baggage security screening and sorting, so that once they've got everyone off they can expedite boarding as quickly as possible.

Tania

I wonder if you kids ran into my kids Ha Ha :D

Icy

I hope my 18 and 21yr old got to know a lot of people but they tend to stick with people they know. I see you live in our favourite place, we only returned from Port Macquarie this afternoon:D:D I would much prefer to be there than to come back to this heat wave!

Tania

I'm a little peeved.. I know it cantbe helped.. but we were delayed on our last crusie too due to engine trouble..

we're missing an entire half-day too so im hoping for some OBC :p

All we know is P&O rang to tell us not to even turn up to W8 till 9pm :mad:

I'm a little peeved.. I know it cantbe helped.. but we were delayed on our last crusie too due to engine trouble..

we're missing an entire half-day too so im hoping for some OBC :p

All we know is P&O rang to tell us not to even turn up to W8 till 9pm :mad:

Hi Jaky

That is so dissapointing. I hope you get some sort of obc or at least some free drinks :D. I hope you have a great cruise :).

Just checked the bridge cam,

a little after midday local time ,

still at sea and no sign of the coast yet.

The Sydney Ports website is currently showing PD as arriving at 3pm .... Will have to keep an eye on the Heads out of my office window.

Departure time is now shown as 1am. If repairs need to be done, I wonder whether it will even leave then? Our departure on Sun Princess ex Sydney last year was delayed by over 24 hours because of repairs ... and for those who asked about OBC in earlier posts, we didn't get any!

Bob

The Sydney Ports website is currently showing PD as arriving at 3pm, and then departing at 1am. Will have to keep an eye on the Heads out of my office window.

Bob

Wow you must have great views from your office!!!!:D

It is a shame for going on the next cruise......just hope they can fix the problem in a short time span.:rolleyes::eek:

Archived